It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australians: How do we feel about becoming the 51st state?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I'd like to begin an open and honest discussion, about the possibility of Australia becoming a state within the American union.

I recently found this pdf file (www.anzasa.arts.usyd.edu.au...) which contains an analysis of the concept.

While I understand that this premise might initially be highly offensive to some Australians, I would encourage them to be realistic in their perception of the issue. In reality, in de facto terms it has already happened. Julia Gillard is Australia's answer to Harmid Karzai; a relatively blatant pro-American puppet who gained power undemocratically, and rules almost entirely without the consent of the people.

I feel that the time has come, to honestly acknowledge the fact that Australia no longer has independent national sovereignty, from the American government in any meaningful practical terms. The career of Mark Latham in particular was destroyed over his daring to suggest that the Australian government might not unquestioningly follow the American government's lead during the second Iraq war.

I also know that there has at times been a debate within Australia, about the country becoming a republic in its' own right; however, this is an illusion which I think needs to be dispelled once and for all. As much as we may dislike it, real independence for us has never been on the table. We will either be a formal part of the British Commonwealth, or an informal part of the American union; and I say that if, as it has appeared in recent years, that we are heading down the latter road anyway, then let us acknowledge it honestly, and have it happen with our eyes open to it.

How do Americans feel about this? If there was an Australian petition to join the union, would any of you be willing to accept it?
edit on 26-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
i highly doubt that australia would leave the commonwealth

tho i admit im not particularly familiar with australian politics just seems far off

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I, as an Australian say, get screwed.

Even though our actions have been dictated by America since the Cold War: Nukes, wars etc, i feel that it would be the worst thing to happen.

Julia Gillard stated months ago that she is interested in introducing a US style of electing politicians into the senate and other groups.

IMO, it has already started...
edit on 26-3-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Israel is more the 51st state. Australia feels more like 52nd to the 113th depending on the issue.

I would vote no for a union.
edit on 26-3-2012 by kwakakev because: View on union.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
How do americans feel about it? Answer this first, how much oil do you have? How many natural resources are available in Australia for plunder? How many military aged men do you have to act as cannon fodder for our wars of aggression? How will YOU benefit US and not the other way around? Answer that and you'll arrive at the answer.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
How will YOU benefit US and not the other way around? Answer that and you'll arrive at the answer.

Amusing. Your honesty is appreciated.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
How will YOU benefit US and not the other way around? Answer that and you'll arrive at the answer.

Amusing. Your honesty is appreciated.
his honesty is blatant facts. Hes no joking either. Wake up you silly little dreamer .
If you want to be American why dont you just emmigrate there as many ex pats before you have done so.

We are fast changing into a more asian country , so you may as well go now .
Im heading more to Asia and they can have a damaged australia as the continate is plundered by US and China

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I always get confused when talk about being a republic comes up, People on here seem to imply we would no longer be a commonwealth country but if you look at the commonwealth most of them are republics (I think) take for example Canada or Malaysia, Both are independant country with their own head of state yet they remain part of the commonwealth.
When people talk about Oz are they suggesting we would do something different?

In regards to the thread title, whether we like it or not we are pretty much a defacto US state. Australia is the only country that has fought with/for America in every war they have ever been in and in international politics we pretty much always follow Americas lead.

As for making it in anyway official, I dont think it would ever happen. Like the rest of the world the average Aussie doesnt think to highly of the US (not the people but the government and foreign policy) so if it came to a vote or referendum it would get shot down like nobodies business.

Does anyone on this site know an Aussie who is 100% pro American?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
be like bording the titanic after the iceburg struck,puting some lead boots on and cutting out your voicebox to kill any free speach you may wish to have in the future
edit on 26-3-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anusuia
his honesty is blatant facts. Hes no joking either.

I didn't say he wasn't.

We are fast changing into a more asian country , so you may as well go now.

Im heading more to Asia and they can have a damaged australia as the continate is plundered by US and China

I wouldn't. If you're as much the white supremacist stereotype as you sound like here, you probably won't be terribly welcome.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I doubt it would ever happen. Julia is the US puppy dog and look at how much the aussie population has turned against her. I don't doubt for a second that we'd forcibly remove the government if they tried to make us the 51st state, there's already people calling for early elections and forcibly removing labour from power due to the way the labour party are completely ignoring the will of the masses.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I had a laugh at this. I tried to take it seriously and consider all parts of what your trying to say, but this won't happen, well definetly no sooner then before Britain would. As an Australian I can say our governments are very different, and having some constitution that dictates our rights (such as to have firearms, which is stupid) wouldn't work in australia. Our countries may appear similar on the surface but are not, and our alliance will continue as America is the powerhouse, but a merging won't happen.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Won't happen so don't waste your time thinking about it

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Julia is but a puppet to " the faceless men ".

The question may well be ... to whom do the faceless administration swear allegiance to ?

You could be on the money. Yet I would be surprised if they could " slide " it past the voting public without raising some sort major 'hoo-ha'.

After all we are still part of the commonwealth. ( remember the Falklands ..
)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I think the UK beat you to that title lads, but you lot can gladly have it, would even pay you to have it.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Hang on...
Isn't the Queen of Great Britain the Head of State in Austrailia?
And then isn't Obama Bin Bush just another spokesman for European Royalty?
Of course he is.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
As an American I'll say this: It's a very bad (as well as self-defeating) idea. However, It's simply because America's government is corrupt, and completely untrustworthy. I hold little faith that other countries are governed in the way they were intended to be and are not corrupted -- including Australia, but I imagine it's better to have the lesser of the two evils in question.

That's of course assuming you've not already joined the dark side. If you have, now would be a good time to tell you that they lied. There are no cookies..

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Who, in their right state of mind, would EVER want to consider becoming an American state? America's Globalization plans will fail miserably. Seriously insulting (and I don't even live in Australia) The typical american can't even point out Australia on the map.
edit on 26-3-2012 by Brad-H because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2012 by Brad-H because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
It will never happen as long as it is part of the british commonwealth..
Britain are long term allies of america if they suddenly started buying up our commonwealth im sure it would create tension that america dont need from us.. if they honestly do have plans for globalisation it wouldnt go down well with britain as an enemy

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inquisitive1
That's of course assuming you've not already joined the dark side. If you have, now would be a good time to tell you that they lied. There are no cookies..

LOL. I'm not saying I want it. I'm just saying that I feel as though it would be closer to the actual truth, because I think most Australians know that our current Prime Minister is a pro-American sock puppet anyway.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join