It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student Loan Debt Tops $1 Trillion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Part of the increase in education costs is because more people are going to college.

Increase in demand means a higher price. It's not cheap to build new dorms, new auditoriums, hire new professors, staff, and equipment.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I went to college and a technical school. The associates degree I received at a technical school opened up more doors for me than my college degree and It cost me a heck of allot less.

Unless you plan on going to school to become a doctor, lawyer or other degrees that require a 4,5 or 6 year degree, Technical schools are really the better way to go today. There are not enough jobs to support college professionals. Degrees have become a dime a dozen.

I've worked with some computer geeks who have come out of trade schools out perform college computer geeks. In fact where I work, everyone goes to the trade school geek instead of the college geek. No other type of education beats hands-on-learning.

edit on 26-3-2012 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

The unemployment rate for college graduates is much lower than any other segment of the population.

Those with a Bachelor's or higher have an unemployment rate of 4.2%...so I don't get where you are saying that there aren't enough jobs for college graduates.

www.bls.gov...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Tomorrow’s employers will put a premium on skilled and semi-skilled workers, especially in computers, health care, science and technology. And there will be job openings aplenty in the trades as baby boomers retire.
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Here are a couple of links that talk about the demand for technical skills. Any college graduates first experience finding a job will be faced with this common interview question,"what kind of experience do you have." Unfortunately most college graduates haven't established any kind of skill or experience because college is academically based. Students in college spend a majority of their time reading, studying, taking liberal studies, and only a few hours a week in a lab environment. A majority of employers are looking for people that have proven experience in their field.

Students who attend either technical colleges or trade schools learn practical skills and training. There's no comparison with a student who has had, for example, a limited number of hours in a computer lab in college, compared to someone from a trade school that is in a computer lab environment the majority part of the day, throughout their 2 year associate program.

I also speak from personal experience having attended both institutions. I have both a college and associate degree from our local trade school. I'm also a high school CAD instructor that have seen some of my students go on to college and excel in mechanical engineering programs. These students which were the top 10 percent of my class have found engineering jobs before they graduated from college. Most have come back to me after their first year of college saying their 4 years of technical drawing made their 1st year of engineering classes a breeze. My other students who were not college bound (and were motivated to learn), have found CAD jobs straight out of high school. In fact some of those students have performed so well, their employer is paying for them to get an engineering degree while being employed! Talk about getting paid and not being burdened with enormous college debt!

Many graduates of manufacturing trade schools do not spend their new-found free time job hunting once they complete their studies, according to CNN. That's because they already have landed the job prior to graduating. Wilbur Wright-Humboldt Park vocational college in Chicago conducted a job fair about two weeks ago and five of the school's students were hired within a 24-hour period, the lead instructor told the news service. "Employers right now need workers with these high-precision skills. But the mismatch is that most of America's unemployed workforce doesn't possess these skills," associate dean of instruction Marc Smierciak told the news service, noting the school's computerized numerical control program last year scored 100 percent job placement. "It's a wonderful accomplishment for us."

Where will the jobs be in 2012.

Why your college degree is not enough.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

All part of the plan Partygirl, all part of the plan. What plan you ask? To dam secret and bat # crazy to tell you, I would respond, if you asked...But don't ask.

It ain't that bad Partygirl for all these student loan people, it just that society like you know is a supply and demand thing, on necessities and off course on the Insanity's of peoples, that to is in high demand insane people are a high commodity. And this subject has been done to death, I seen it at least 4 times before.
Ok maybe not to death, might want to keep dragging it along till everybody gets it.

The system ain't all that great or smooth, it has a few broken cogs, it barely drags itself along, and it's leaking oil everywhere it goes.
And once the oil runs out...Well ask the martians.
But you know Patygirl there is to much water here on planet earth and not enough deserts so I have been thinking lately, so you see everything works out in the end to some end.

If anything the fact that there are very little choices to opt out of the system is the root of the problem. You see you can live a great life and have plenty of fun without being in the rat race constantly. And some people like you Partygirl don't want all that much or need all that much to tide them over...Or at least you so say. But it's the job of the system to keep churning out things to tide people over, and to keep them coming back.

There are chains and then there are chains, a great part of the system that is at work and always in need, is people who will keep churning out chains, and entertainment in is one of those chains, a chain that is not so tight around the neck.
After all everybody wants to have some fun.

But ya Partygirl, you worry to much, and I think probably you might even envy the people and there educations, but even education has its purposes, even the higher educations. Sure there are some people who could stem themselfs into the library and the nets and learn then branch out from there and even learn more then enough and as much as anybody else in any fancy classroom.

But it's not about learning, or what you know, all of that is not as significant as people think. For this is a machine and it will keep going no matter what or who it's cogs are for there time being. But ya I to get tired of people once in a while coming up to me and annoying me with there credentials. As you know I am not that smart, did not even pass high school, or any other type of school thing and especially not math as math is evilz. But even my dumb self saw this little problem they have with the debt system when i was 13 yr old, and really its not that hard a problem to fix, in time if people don't go all crazy keep some cool, a great sum of if will fix itself. It's so designed to do.

But you know people are moody, and especially when it comes to there lot in life, and especially when you tell them that they might be wrong...Moody people are everywhere, and always so serious, and they all always want to be right, and most especially the ones who are most often wrong. But hey people like to follow he who make the most noise, and as you know the corporations governments and anybody who likes power knows that fact...Kind of like if you repeat the same thing over and over even for generations people will believe it even if its a complete lie or it does not exist at all...... It's a funny thing, how the mind works it exists in two totally different wavelengths, the one of the inner, and the one of the outer...And so it can believe two totally contradictory believes.

If anything Patygirl you need to forget about this #, and look to yourself, this dept usury thing people will have to get themselves out of, because they got themselves into it, no messiah is needed but themselves.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
...so I don't get where you are saying that there aren't enough jobs for college graduates.

Then have a look:

Pew Fiscal Analysis Initiative study
edit on 27-3-2012 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I guess there's an advantage to being an AB 540

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

I lived for the first 33 years of my life in the US. Raised in Tampa, Florida.

I know what it is like.

Without a college degree I now find myself working for one of the biggest software companies in the world ( an American company).

Do you know how I did it?

I started at a bottom rung, and worked my ass off.

Before I worked here, I was an operations manager for one of the biggest logistic companies in the the south. I was in charge of millions of dollars worth of equipment, almost a 100 people, a business worth millions depended on me...a recipient of a GED.

Do you know how I did it?

I started work as a file clerk, and worked my ass off. 7 years between 6 dollars an hour and 60K per year, I'd say that competes well with any graduate.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
This is a very depressing and disturbing report. I have a teenager in high school who is a honor roll student and I am very worried of having to pay those high costs to get her into college. Even with grants, scholarships, I will probably still have to deal with the loans and such.

The biggest bandits are the college administrators who are making off with all the money. Costs are skyrocketing faster than national cost of living and no one really wants to do anything to fix this problem.

I will just have to grit my teeth and get it done.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by prisoneronashipoffools

Actually your wrong it's not really "privately" held it's "corporately" held and their is a difference.

By private I meant not government held.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
This is a very depressing and disturbing report. I have a teenager in high school who is a honor roll student and I am very worried of having to pay those high costs to get her into college. Even with grants, scholarships, I will probably still have to deal with the loans and such.

The biggest bandits are the college administrators who are making off with all the money. Costs are skyrocketing faster than national cost of living and no one really wants to do anything to fix this problem.

I will just have to grit my teeth and get it done.

Don't damage your retirement with her college debt.
She can get a loan for college but you cannot get one for retirement.
The best you can do is guide her in her choice of fields.
Most people with degrees end up in a career that does not directly relate to their degree. My step daughter has a psych degree and now she's happy in a auto manufacture customer call center. No one wanted psych degrees without any experience.

Nothing beats a business degree as far as an all around degree.
It says you can add and subtract.
It says you understand the principle of proffit and loss.
It says you understand supply and demand.

There is a tv show here called Bering Sea Gold. On it there is a 20's girl who is trying to finish her degree in opera. Yes I said opera! Her father did not do his job.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The college system in the US is the biggest scam of all.

Not only do you shell out for a degree, they require you to take useless classes like Art History that you have to waste time and money on.

Now the college textbooks reprint every year, making it harder to resell used textbooks so you have to buy new.

But so many jobs require a degree, experience isn't enough anymore.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Here is the problem with people going to college these days. Alot of people go to college and get worthless degrees in things like art, cooking or general degrees. Getting a degree these days in just anything doesn't cut it. You need to get a degree in technology, medical or science. On top of that you also need to finish at the top of your class. Companies hiring look at these things.

You aren't going to make 75k or more in a job with a general degree, you need to get a specialized degree in technology. Yes, you will here about a few who make it without degrees or with general degrees, but these people got hired based upon "who they know and not what they know".

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TWISTEDWORDS

You aren't going to make 75k or more in a job with a general degree, you need to get a specialized degree in technology. Yes, you will here about a few who make it without degrees or with general degrees, but these people got hired based upon "who they know and not what they know".

You are correct.
But I see one potential problem. If you get a very specalized degree it will taint you against being hired for a job not directly related to the degree. HR may feel you just want any job until your field has an opening.
It's a catch 22.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TWISTEDWORDS

Part of the problem is that make 18 year olds make huge life decisions. 18 year olds have no idea what the hell they are doing.
The human brain doesn't even begin to organize itself till 25, which is why you will suddenly see a drastic change or a person suddenly finds their purpose in life.

Kids should be encouraged to go out and work a bit, see the world, before trying to make a hardcore decision about career.

I did that. I worked part time for a few years for the park service, and then I wanted to become a ranger. Not for lack of trying though. Point is that it gave me the idea I needed.

But it still led to public service which I am still happy with.

And no I didn't make it, because I got sick and I am not healthy enough for a job like a ranger.
edit on 27-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

makes some sense.

but why then do they allow people to get a masters degree at age 24 ?

and even a Phd at 26, with only one year of "brain organization" ?

edit on Mar-27-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by boncho

You're right.. degrees mean nothing. Today they are like high school diplomas. It doesn't matter what you studied or what your grades were... you just have to have it. It's when you get into graduate programs that it really matters.

That is not strictly true, certain degrees (especially the Sciences) matter for jobs, no one would hire a Philosophy major (for example) to work in the Chemical industry, they hire Biochemistry and Chemistry majors. I know this, because I've been in a position to hire (not any more, thanks economy....)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

There are two groups.
Those who worked all through out to pay the rent and keep loans down. These have a good foundation and make sensible employees.

Then there are those who lived under mommies roof and racked up big time loans. Thes truely have no clue about the real world.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
reply to post by xuenchen

There are two groups.
Those who worked all through out to pay the rent and keep loans down. These have a good foundation and make sensible employees.

Then there are those who lived under mommies roof and racked up big time loans. Thes truely have no clue about the real world.

Brilliant !

I guess that answers my questions !

Except for one more question:

If someone still lives at home, how would paying outside rent make a student loan any less ?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I did that too, I didn't do jack until I was around 21. Then I went into Information Technology because I thought to myself and said what do you want to do? What are you good at? I have been using a computer since I was around 10 years old, so I figured I will go into computing as it is easy for me and I get it and like it. Little did I know 18 years later I am an IT professional and I still enjoy it. I do have a degree, but I didn't get one until around 6 years ago going to online college and working hard at getting one that I wanted and needed for the future. Yes, I have student loans, but I was smart about it, I locked it in @ 2.5% for a 10 year note and guess what in 4 years it will be paid off.

So I don't want to hear from people that say you can't do it. BS...and for the record I did college in two years,,yes two years that's around 30+ hours a semester, commuting 80 hours a day for work and raising kids and I graduated Magna Cum Laude...3.85 and damn proud of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join