It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What on earth is this? Strange thing on Google Maps

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
There is a canal on the left side of the reservoir and it drops to a river, there is water in the river.
They do grow Grapes in the mountains for wine.
blog.wholefoodsmarket.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Looks like a gravel pit to me. Much like the one we used to have pellet gun wars in when I was a kid.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Large tree shadow .

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Hm. Looks like Gumby melted. Either that or Pokey.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

It's an abandoned mine lined with waterproof tarp, as other members have found out.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
Looks like a gravel pit to me. Much like the one we used to have pellet gun wars in when I was a kid.

I work in a gravel pit, I would say that is not what it appears to be. The company I work for is however involved in remediation and this looks a lot closer to what we do. I've also worked in the mining industry as mentioned before, all stages from surveying to recovery and must say it closely resembles an heap-leaching operation as well, but that is merely my opinion.
edit on 26-3-2012 by ajay59 because: to amend

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
No big mystery about this site. It is a catchment area for the waste material from mineral extraction. Usually something like GOLD MINING. The Gold is not in a metallic form. It exists as "Ghost Gold" which is something like gold sulphate and dangerous toxic chemicals or high power electrolosis are used to get the gold ions to separate from the sulphate ions. In the process the gold metal is taken away to be melted into bricks of gold bullion, whilst the sulphates "salts" and other crud is simply left in the catchment area that you're wondering about. It has that distinctive blue grey colour because of unique metalic oxides in the mud of it. It is possible that the crud is contaminating the local ground water. Which is something the local population are probably having problems with. Especially if the crud contains metals like lead or mercury oxides ? Thankyou for wondering about it. Certain environmentalists might want to look into the site on the ground. Collecting samples for chemical analysis.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
reply to post by ajay59

It's an abandoned mine lined with waterproof tarp, as other members have found out.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I would have to say it was an heap leaching plant in this case as cyanide is used for collection and recovery hence the reason for covering.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Normally, In these processes, the toxic chemicals are neutralized and the remainder is contained, providing the company and oversight involved are "responsible". The fact that it is where it is at, I would'nt be sure whether or not the deposits were properly handled.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Reminds me of this, this is a salt pile in the area where I live, they cover it with tarps to protect the salt from weather. They have huge ships that bring it in and the dump it here and then they have a facility (seen on map) where they package it. My guess it's some mineral they are storing and/or prepping for packaging.

Salt Pile Chicago

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

the SICKEST of skate parks

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

True, Chile is known for it's wine and the Maule Valley is one of those places.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by omegacorps

i do find it rather amusing and even after this is posted it continues.. i will check back in a couple days to see how many pages have been added.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mindcrime30
I love how people cant read a few pages before posting. The answer was found in page 4 fyi... but continue speculating if you wish

Half the people are at work and doing some sneaky ATS reading and cannot stand not to get a comment in. i don't see it as a problem, a lot of people do not have the time it takes to read through pages and pages but still want to add their thoughts as maybe no one else considered their thought.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

Looks like an open cast coal mine to me, there's one just up the road from here and it looks quite similar. The give away would be heavy plant but I can't get a close enough look to see.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Looks like a disgusting old river or tar pit...I can't believe you actually got stars, Google maps is crappy and poorly done.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
To me it almost looks like a large pool.....if you look at the smaller areas of the same color...there are palm trees placed just right...which would seem like a pond, or in ground hot tub..or smaller pool...etc....maybe a manmade natural pool? or manmade large pond? thats almost what it looks like to me. The darker area is a drop down from the tan dirt on the edges...almost cliff like...exceppt the dark grey is shiny..like glass/water..,so, it looks like it drops down, but in reality I think we are simply seeing the inside of it..so, like I said...a pool? some type of water reservoir. Etc.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
A lined reservoir?
www.rtdenterprises.com...

by the shadows it's actually above ground. there is water diverted around it. the white spots that look like waves are a wrinkled shiny blue covering. almost looks like a map of Mexico with Cozumel at the tip. My guess is a coc aine production facility complete with previously blown up buildings, diverted water supply and storage or maybe fuel tanks.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well interesting find OP.
To me it looks like that illusion has been explained in pg4.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

It's marijuana!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join