It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What on earth is this? Strange thing on Google Maps

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
In some places, to make salt, they pump an area full of a concentrated salt solution, then let it dry. They add minerals, volcanic ash, [ yes really, I've got some, it is Great on steak ] Maybe this is some sort of drying pond and whatever they've added makes it dark.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

While it is an interesting find it will have a pretty mundane explanation. It will be either a lined resevoir for fresh water, a lined resevoir for contaminated water from some industrial use, or a lined landfill (lined to protect local water sources). OR some rap mogul got himself a far away second home with a bitchin' pool yo.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It looks like just like a local, empty reservoir, with troughs. What looks like lining, is baked and cracked ground.
edit on 26-3-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It is an anti-matter absorption blanket to power the underground survival base. TPTB have these all over for when Niribu gets here. We are all dooomed...... oh wait ......sorry....nothing to see here..... move along. It is a resevoir for water ...wink, wink nod nod.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
My guess is a shallow lake or pond, which has extremely clean and clear water. Allowing you to see the bottom of it. The elevation changes at a normal rate. Although when you turn the time back a year or two, it is all dirt. So I am going with a new water reservoir.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by WarriorOfTheLight

i guess it was huge masses of elevation

I was wrong about it being a reservoir or a landfill.
No. The disaster was caused by the collapse of a tailing pond (which is basically a reservoir). The muck from the tailing pond washed through the area. The muck was then covered with sheeting. No huge masses of elevation.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
I am installing Google earth as we speak.

I have a few problems with the landfill idea:
1. It is near farmland
2. Chile is not very rich and I dont know for fact but cant see them buying a gigantic cover for landfill.
3. Why would they go to the effort of creating large mountains of rubbish when they could just dump on the lower parts

Sorry but land fill sites are usually lined at the bottom before the waste is dumped this stops liquids from seeping out, when rain passes through the waste it picks up all kinds of bacteria etc that stops it getting into the water table.

This liquid is called leachiate and is usually treated at the site.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Sorry for bad lighting, best I could do.

There is definitive shadowing showing depth and what are in the right top and bottom corners?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It looks like a coal field. There are what appears to be piles of it in the area in question.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

edit on 26-3-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by omegacorps

kind reminds me of your desert mystery.
Once again I see the black area as being a liner of some sort.

It appears to me that the black area is following the natural topography of the land, like a lake or other body of water.

I'm sticking around to find out more. I like this kind of stuff.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by WarriorOfTheLight

i guess it was huge masses of elevation

I was wrong about it being a reservoir or a landfill.
No. The disaster was caused by the collapse of a tailing pond (which is basically a reservoir). The muck from the tailing pond washed through the area. The muck was then covered with sheeting. No huge masses of elevation.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Looking at it close-up on GE, it just looks like dried mud baked out and cracked, like crazy paving.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Landfill.100%.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

HAARP facility?!!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes you are right,
After reading the article now.
It's just a 'cover up'

Interesting though, now i know what toxic waste products these mines 'produce' and can easily enter the water supply.
Knowing there are many of these abandoned mines in the area i will skip on chilean wines.

at 1:00 there are some pictures of the mine after the collapse of the walls of the tailling pond
edit on 26-3-2012 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
A lined reservoir?
www.rtdenterprises.com...

This was my first thought. I think you are correct.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Thanks for the link.

Notice the gridwork of the trees planted all around the area marked, that is farmed forest planted at its finest.

As far as the black tarmack, &/or gravel pit that the OP is talking about, it does have slight contour to but I almost want to say that this area has been stenciled over in one solid colour, save the shadows. It could be a resevoir too though.

There are many strange things that happen in south america. I just realized how big Chile is...
edit on 26-3-2012 by survival because: eta

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I love how people cant read a few pages before posting. The answer was found in page 4 fyi... but continue speculating if you wish

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Mindcrime30

omg thank you. i wanted to see how long it went.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This to me appears to be a heap-leaching pond and recovery area. Heap leaching is used to recover precious metals on a microscopic scale, for those not familiar with the process. Another idea is a remediation repository, where contaminated soil is heaped on containment pads and covered to prevent cross contamination with surrounding soil. Just my thoughts at first glance.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join