It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What on earth is this? Strange thing on Google Maps

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Just a cursory look made me think it was a dry lake bed. If you notice the ground is cracked, which makes me think that maybe there was water in it at one point, along with the shape and depth. That is my guess, but I may be totally wrong. Just an impression.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
not water. i clearly see dirt on this thing.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
It definitely can't be water. I've been looking real close at this and putting aside the clear mountain of dirt in the Google Earth roll back images for the area, there is a Palm Tree on the far east side of the black covering. It's near the separate mound they have covered and the tree casts a shadow onto the black tarp. It's a very clear and sharp shadow, as satellite images go...and nothing I've ever seen on water before. The whitish areas that do actually look like water in other areas nearby are squared with straight lines that are impossible in nature...so I think the coloring on the tarp is just a fluke...

Thats my take...but I'll certainly look back here tomorrow to see if anyone figured it out.

...oh..several areas around the edges also show the dirt/sand in patches around the outer edges of the tarp... Oh well. Google Earth does make for a lot of fun in hunting odd things.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
It definitely can't be water. I've been looking real close at this and putting aside the clear mountain of dirt in the Google Earth roll back images for the area, there is a Palm Tree on the far east side of the black covering. It's near the separate mound they have covered and the tree casts a shadow onto the black tarp. It's a very clear and sharp shadow, as satellite images go...and nothing I've ever seen on water before. The whitish areas that do actually look like water in other areas nearby are squared with straight lines that are impossible in nature...so I think the coloring on the tarp is just a fluke...

Thats my take...but I'll certainly look back here tomorrow to see if anyone figured it out.

...oh..several areas around the edges also show the dirt/sand in patches around the outer edges of the tarp... Oh well. Google Earth does make for a lot of fun in hunting odd things.
Could you please post screenshots of the roll back images as my image upload thing doesn't work and it will put the water claim to bed.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
This is the natural or man made lake just north of your site.....you can look and tell it is reflecting the sky...ripples from the prevailing winds on the surface...

edit on 26-3-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

I disagree.
And looking at the historical images and seeing that it sits in the bottom of a valley. I'm more convinced that it is (drained) lined reservoir.

edit on 3/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

link   
This is your site...you see the difference ....this has been definitely layered over...

link   

There is the 2002 imagery of that area. Hope that helps.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
A strip mine...no doubt!
edit on 26-3-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Can you post a screenshot of the historical image from 2002 from above as well, you can clearly see it is a lump of dirt.
also the furthest part of the blue on your image is still on a slant from the hill which doesnt make any sense, the land would need to be flat for it to stay in that shape.

This may be a lot weirder then appears because when you look at the historical images from above you will see something completely different to what you have shown.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
can some one give me the name of the valley?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Thank you Wrabbit2000 and Omegacorps for posting the roll back images.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
There is one other thing I just noticed in playing with the roll back..... For those with Google Earth working, go check this out yourself, but in 2002 this is one of the only areas in the whole country they DO have imagery of and it;s real good imagery.

Now it isn't just this spot.... It's a rectangular section running miles across and far more long. The area of interest someone was looking at could have absolutely nothing to do with this and it just happened to be in the same area....it IS a big area covered. Yet, still... Zoomed out, MOST of Chile in 2002 is green graphic blob, No images whatsoever.

Another little side mystery.... lol. The thread is getting more interesting.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Can you post a screenshot of the historical image from 2002 from above as well, you can clearly see it is a lump of dirt.
also the furthest part of the blue on your image is still on a slant from the hill which doesnt make any sense, the land would need to be flat for it to stay in that shape.

I don't see a lump, I see an excavation.

The elevation model for Google Earth is not entirely accurate so some oddities show up when you try to look too closely. If the area has been excavated, it would not show in the elevation model.

Notice the amount of cultivation in the region. That much cultivation requires water.

Notice the large hacienda immediately south of the reservoir. This is also a clue that this is part of a large plantation.

edit on 3/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

yeah i noticed that. i do know this thing is ballz deep in wine country

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
i would say water to but i dont see any inlet like with the body of water just north. with rool back you can see the north body of water in use.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

It might be my cat, Lestat?

He is famous on Google Maps you know?
edit on 26/3/2012 by Thurisaz because: on on on not of of of of -> idiot typo

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I'm just not seeing how that could be water. Satellite images can be funny for perspective though.....still... Naww... My mind just isn't getting there..

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
i did read google in the trees when rolling back and forth at different angles. maybe one image just kept over the years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join