It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What on earth is this? Strange thing on Google Maps

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I was recently looking at Chile on google maps to see where today's 7.1 quake struck, when I came across this weird thing at:

-35.185612,-71.759158

Link

At first I thought it was a body of water but then realised it couldnt be as you will notice elevation.
The only other thing I can think of is a giant plastic cover to stop grain harvests being swept away with the wind, but it is simply too large for that.

There seems to be some large factory or industrial space to the right of it and it is right next to it.

I am sure there is some obvious explanation for this but I just cant seem to work it out.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

I'll go with it being an awesome skate park

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

I'll go with it being an awesome skate park
Something like that

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
use google earth. you can roll the time line back and forth.

not sure what it is though. land fill maybe
just not covering it to let methane out.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
A lined reservoir?
www.rtdenterprises.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Now that is a real mystery.... I'm looking in Google Earth and what is beneath that black cover is nothing but an unchanging, HUGE pile of dirt. For years.... (2002-2005-2007 in one range) the size, shape and general grade of that plateau of dirt doesn't change......then it's covered with more that wasn't there before. Hmmm... Whats so special about that pile of dirt?

Could this be a landfill? Past? perhaps a 1990's or earlier? The roll back just deepens the mystery.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
A lined reservoir?
www.rtdenterprises.com...
Doesn't really explain the huge masses of elevation

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Looks like a body of water to me.

If you follow the "road" which could also be a river with shallow rocky spots to the northeast, you'll come across more bodies of water, however the quality of the water in the other ponds/lakes looks better. Could be an issue of photos taken on different days and/or different water depth.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I know by the request of some governments Google Maps blocks out some facilities being of "sensitive nature"

By the shape it looks to be some type of mine. I see a couple of tanks. It could be this is some type of mining facility. I know mass reserves of water must be kept near by.

Processing facility is my #2 guess.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I am installing Google earth as we speak.

I have a few problems with the landfill idea:
1. It is near farmland
2. Chile is not very rich and I dont know for fact but cant see them buying a gigantic cover for landfill.
3. Why would they go to the effort of creating large mountains of rubbish when they could just dump on the lower parts

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

I don't see "huge masses of elevation". I see some uneven shading which could be due to moisture or standing water. I believe it is an empty reservoir.

If you are seeing the darker areas as shadows you are mistaken. Look at the actual shadows cast by the trees and buildings.

edit on 3/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies

1. It is near farmland
2. Chile is not very rich and I dont know for fact but cant see them buying a gigantic cover for landfill.
3. Why would they go to the effort of creating large mountains of rubbish when they could just dump on the lower parts

On the contrary...Chile is extremely rich in natural resources.

It appears to be a mine of some sort.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Small lake with clean shallow water.

You can see the bottom of the lake and it creates the illusions of above ground hills.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

1. It is near farmland

I think you'll find this is far more interesting when you can see it before the black tarp was put over this whole area. It's covering far more than Mt. Dirt as it existed for most of the past 10 years. I love that roll back and the 2002 image is almost as good as the most recent one for resolution with no covering at all.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Looks like a body of water to me.

If you follow the "road" which could also be a river with shallow rocky spots to the northeast, you'll come across more bodies of water, however the quality of the water in the other ponds/lakes looks better. Could be an issue of photos taken on different days and/or different water depth.

I still don't think it could be water, there is elevation which is clearly not a technical issue as you can see photographic errors such as the square which is a darker shade of blue.
I was using that road as a guide for the height of elevation and it appears some of the blue patches are higher then the hill that road is climbing.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
lol i emailed china lake to get an answer to something i seen in the desert.

i need something more to go on then road k-416 in chili.

yahoo search laughed at me....

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by maestromason

1. It is near farmland

On the contrary...Chile is extremely rich in natural resources.

It appears to be a mine of some sort.
Yeah I tend to agree, only thing I can think of

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Whatever it is it definitely looks lined. That is not water. Look just north of this site and you will see a lake.

It appears as if Google Maps obscured this site for some reason(s).

This looks like Google Maps purposely layered over this image.

link   

Originally posted by Phage

I don't see "huge masses of elevation". I see some uneven shading which could be due to moisture or standing water. I believe it is an empty reservoir.

If you are seeing the darker areas as shadows you are mistaken. Look at the actual shadows cast by the trees and buildings.

edit on 3/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)
The shadow in the blue is going the same was as the shadows from the trees.
I am fairly sure that is elevation, if you look on google earth and go back on the timeline you will see.

link   
Can someone post the images from prior years? Google Earth won't work right for me.

Much appreciated.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join