It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robert Bales Charged: Military Scrambles To Limit Malaria Drug Just After Afghanistan Massacre

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Robert Bales Charged: Military Scrambles To Limit Malaria Drug Just After Afghanistan Massacre

Nine days after a U.S. soldier allegedly massacred 17 civilians in Afghanistan, a top-level Pentagon health official ordered a widespread, emergency review of the military’s use of a notorius anti-malaria drug called mefloquine.

Mefloquine, also called Lariam, has severe psychiatric side effects. Problems include psychotic behavior, paranoia and hallucinations. The drug has been implicated in numerous suicides and homicides, including deaths in the U.S. military. For years the military has used the weekly pill to help prevent malaria among deployed troops.

The U.S. Army nearly dropped use of mefloquine entirely in 2009 because of the dangers, now only using it in limited circumstances, including sometimes in Afghanistan. The 2009 order from the Army said soldiers who have suffered a traumatic brain injury should not be given the drug.

More...

See also:

Army and Pentagon officials would not say whether Bales took the drug, citing privacy rules. When asked if Woodson’s mefloquine review was a response to the massacre, the military in Afghanistan referred the question to the Army. Army officials said they were “unaware” of the review. After being shown the task order via email, they stopped responding. The Secretary of Defense Office referred questions to the Army -- and then back to medical officials in the secretary’s office. Those officials have not responded.

“This medication has been increasingly associated with neuropsychiatric side effects, including depression, psychosis, and suicidal ideation.”

Well, I didn't see this one coming.

This is going to get complicated fast.

edit on 26-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Just saw a news story on this today....ever since this happened I have been suspicious.

Something is not right, he has no memory, he was able to disappear from base for so long,

Everything about this stinks. Plus the media jumping on it while protecting the ft hood guy.

The day it happened I told my husband I thought it was a setup, now I am even more confused by this drug news.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Well it was obvious that anyone who would do something like this was not normal at the time it occurred. Normal people do not massacre other people for any reason, because normal people can deal with their issues normally, which usually avoids any extremes.

With that said, and with what others have said about this soldier, there was obviously something wrong internally, some imbalance in brain chemistry and/or the firing of neurons or something...I don't know specifics since I'm not a doctor, but from what I do know about the basics, I believe what I said is correct.

IF this drug caused this action, it will be difficult to prove imo. Of course it would be obvious that this is what caused someone to do something out of character that was so extreme, the drug I mean, and therefore why should this man be punished...But, he has to be punished, right?

This is going to be complicated. Severely. There are those who want justice, but the person who murdered all those people is not the same person who will go to jail for it. How you ask? Well, the brain is complicated, and this person will be punished for something he not only has no recollection of, but for a decision he did not consciously make.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

This only proves that the american military is much
more incompetent than ever. They need to LEAVE NOW !

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I think no matter whether it was the drug or not....

Insanity would have to be his defense, especially since he doesn't remember anything.

This is just heartbreaking.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Hmm, the crap gets deeper in this case.

Almost as if they are manipulating the news to only show ONE side of the story in a consistent manner within their outlets.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I have taken NATO issue anti malaria tablets many times
Must admit I don't like taking them and often don't
They cause very .......strange.... dreams in many, if not most guys I've known
they Have even become associated with dreams and nightmares among the forces
I've gone a bit ........wibble now
So maybe lol

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ToneDeaf

This only proves that the american military is much
more incompetent than ever. They need to LEAVE NOW !

?Respectfully?... I disagree as without question, the men and women of the Armed Forces of the United States of America are the backbone of our freedom. Literally millions have served and died to protect our way of life and millions will in the future.

Individual incompetence, ABSOLUTELY NOT; in some ways a disregard by our government for the well being of our soldiers, yes.

Leave Afghanistan and any other country which does not have our back... ABSOLUTELY.

I for one, and I know I am not alone am sick and tired of defending others in the world, and in turn WASTING the lives of our young men and women for peoples who would stab us the moment we turn our backs.

I extend the middle finger of my right hand in a one fingered salute to those of you who are not our friends.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here's his wife's full interview:

new topics

top topics

join