It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hiding PC from Network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I have this question, and this is for recreational purposes only not to harm or commit any criminal deeds, actually lemme start out with what I know. I know, that all the computers in this location each have a unique IP address. And, they all go through...what I would describe as a "check point" before they are able to connect to the internet. A filter, that stops them from going to certain website. And, if your computer's IP doesnt match with one of the recorded IP's, you will get booted from the system. My question is, if you connect to the internet through their service, can they trace the IP back to you? Or, is there a way to spoof your latptops IP?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLife

Yes, there are a few ways of either spoofing your IP address or otherwise hiding it.

The main one is called Network Address Translation or NAT and is used when your ISP "shares out" its Internet address range to devices on its LAN (or VLAN) side.

Most ways of hiding your IP, impede communication.

The network becomes a "not work" (for you anyway) and most network admins are savvy to such tricks. You wouldn't fool them for long.

edit on 25/3/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Better yet, OP - Hide what you're doing from the rest of the network.

You can spoof your MAC address, sure, but someone will ALWAYS be able to tell you've been on their network no matter how good you are.

Set up a SSH server somewhere that you know traffic isn't directly monitored, and remote into it from whatever network you don't want to have your information seen on. Conduct all your information transactions through the SSH connection. If you really wanted to get serious about it, on the SSH server's end, you can have all traffic routed to and from it bounce through Tor or some other obscurity protocol.

However, if you want a quick click and fix - try Hotspot Shield. That will help out quite a bit, however if you really want to be as secure as possible, research the methods I've described above.
edit on 25-3-2012 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

so your trying to get around a IP ban?

why else would you try to hide your PC? What are you trying to view online? Don't you want to be tracked?

things like to me are very suspicious, no offence intended.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
If its an IP ban at work... use wirless or a wirless dongle and your phone and use it as a hotspot or tether it to the device and bypass the proxy by having a seperate internet connection that doesnt have to go throguh the connection....

would be the quickest and technically not doing anything wrong that way.. i mean i guess you have ability to install on the system as if you dont, chances you also dont have access to change settings such as ip addresses and mac addresses...

gonna need more info man if you want more help sorry.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
You need to supply us with some more info

How long do you intend to be in the network
Do you have a static ip or dynamic
Do you physical access to other terminals within your network
Are you able to write code
Are there other wifi or blue tooth connection are you that are within a reasonable distance
Are you able to launch your terminal via a usb key and if so, are you in a position to operate another o.s.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

why else would you try to hide your PC? What are you trying to view online? Don't you want to be tracked?

This argument sounds very familiar.

Why don't you want your driver's license to have a GPS chip in it? Don't you want the police to know where you are at every moment of every day? Are you planning to break the law?

Why do you not want cameras on every third telephone pole? What are you doing that you don't want anyone to know?

Why don't you want an RFID chip implanted in your head? Do you have a problem with giving up all privacy?

What the hell difference does it make why he wants to do it? It may be his own experimental home network, for all we know. Anyway, whoever owns the network may think it's their business, but it's sure as hell none of ours....

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

cos the majority of pedo rings do exactly what he is asking!!!

that is why and me.. well I don't care if you cctv in my own house or sitting on the toilet... why? becausee I have nothing at all to hide.

fine line.. I know...but there are terrible people out there doing terrible shocking things and they try to find ways to bypass networks.

and I personally would be hot on the heels of anyone who 'hides' their activity.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Originally posted by Thurisaz

This argument sounds very familiar.

Why don't you want your driver's license to have a GPS chip in it? Don't you want the police to know where you are at every moment of every day? Are you planning to break the law?

Why do you not want cameras on every third telephone pole? What are you doing that you don't want anyone to know?

Why don't you want an RFID chip implanted in your head? Do you have a problem with giving up all privacy?

What the hell difference does it make why he wants to do it? It may be his own experimental home network, for all we know. Anyway, whoever owns the network may think it's their business, but it's sure as hell none of ours....

I would say if your helping someone who wants to do somthing in a morally grey area, not asking means you are as to blame as any activity they get up too...

with no offense to the OP if he had decided he wanted to monitor credit card transactions at a store, and one of us told him how, then anyone he ripped off would also be our fault, if he learned himself that is fine, but yes as the poster above me said, what if hypothetically you were telling a peado how not to be caught?

so if you want to know something morally grey from em then you need to give me a good reason to tell you, does that not seem fair?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
no feedback ?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Alright, just got home from school. But uh, I am not a pedo... Its just, there are some password protected networks I want to connect to, and I know that will know that an "unknown" PC has connected to their network. I asked one of the Admins of the network if they could trace it back to my laptop, and said that it was possible. I mainly just want to know how they can, and how it can prevented. I do plan on entering the IT field once I graduate. To hide my PC, do I spoof my machines MAC address? And the only reason i wish to spoof my connection with the internet is to get passed the website philtering system that is installed at the location. I dont plan on doing anything "grey" or completely illegal. Im probably actually not going to attempt what you guys suggest, but mostly discuss it with one of the networks Admins to get his/her view on the subject as well. The consequence for my actions if I actually performed it, would be way to severe. Rest easy.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLife
And the only reason i wish to spoof my connection with the internet is to get passed the website philtering system that is installed at the location. I dont plan on doing anything "grey" or completely illegal. Im probably actually not going to attempt what you guys suggest, but mostly discuss it with one of the networks Admins to get his/her view on the subject as well. The consequence for my actions if I actually performed it, would be way to severe. Rest easy.

So you are intentionally attempting to circumvent a content filter and fully realize that the consequences of taking such actions will be severe. Instead of pursuing a career in IT, perhaps the stand up comedy field could use another joker. This has stupid written all over it.

brill

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Okay, what you have asked is no NSA secret, its something one can achieve if he puts his nose into books and reads. I wont show you how its all done but it is possible to do all of what you mentioned. What i will say is that place confidence in yourself and educated yourself. Its what an old schooler had told me back when i begun phreaking. Having said that and reading the post above mine, you can more or less draw your own conclusions.

Simply stay on the right path as you might end up crossing my path and its something i do not recommend.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hmmmm fine fine... Ill do the research myself. But, thanks for at least telling me/warning me against my actions. Is there any literature in particular that you could point me towards? But, i dont intend to do this process where the actions are very bad. I know that would be a rather poor decisions. Anyways, thanks again.

top topics

join