It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aurora Project = HyperSoar ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I�ve found this report on the net:

HyperSOAR

The specifications of this thing look somewhat like the things that are known about Aurora.

It�s able to reach hypersonic speeds, is also designed as a recce aircraft and should be able to reach every point on earth without refueling.

Does anyone know more about this?

[edit on 26-9-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yeah - i have known about this for a while. IMHO, it would be the next step after the Aurora. The Aurora would have been basically a better SR-71, with little (and probably no) offensive ability. The Hypersoar would probably improve on the technology of the Aurora and add the strike abillity to it, while also extending it's flight cieling.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'm impressed by the concept of 'skipping' across the top of the atmosphere... and thus conserving fuel. Considering that variations of this idea have been around for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if a working example of such technology currently existed.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Wasn't this project cancelled awhile ago?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I believe that one like it was. I forget the name, but it was formed under the Reagan adm. and was cancelled during the Clinton years (when else?).

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I've read about this type of craft as well. It seems pretty cool but I've also read about defensive measures that more sophisticated country's could take to knock them out while on a mission.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weller
I've read about this type of craft as well. It seems pretty cool but I've also read about defensive measures that more sophisticated country's could take to knock them out while on a mission.

Like What?

What country possesos something that could take out an aircraft going mach 10 at 130,000 ft.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Originally posted by Weller

Like What?

What country possesos something that could take out an aircraft going mach 10 at 130,000 ft.

I didn't mean to say they were deployed. I just remember reading about laser technology that was being developed by the U.S. and other countries to deploy on sattelites. It was an offshoot of the Star Wars program but would be implemented secretly. I don't have a link. I was just thinking that a space based weapon like this could easily lock onto an aircraft like this.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The problem is tracking an aircraft like this. Hitting it with a laser is very doable, but you have to be able to track it. And tracking something at Mach 10 is next to impossable at this time with known technology.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
They dont have space based lasers.

Since there in space they would have to be solid state, which theres no way you can generate enough power to shoot with solar panels.

Doesn't Nasa track the space shuttles re-entry.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Yes, NASA tracks incoming shuttles, but they have a transponder that sends signals, which are received by Mission Control. You wouldn�t use a transponder on a military aircraft over hostile territory.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Could the Auroa Go to the moon and back with out refueling? or at least half way and back?

I wonder how hot the outter linning of the plane gets once its goes sub sonic.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Could the Hypersoar be the Aurora? Probably not. The dates of the Hypersoar project don't coincide with the first suspected Aurora sightings - IF the aurora exists, then it would possibly have come from the NASP (National Space Plane) project which was officially cancelled in 1995.

Keep in mind that where DARPA is concerned, an official cancellation of a project does not neccessarily mean the program is no longer in existence (especially if it has had successes or showed promise for successes)... cancellation of this sort can mean that information about the program is no longer for public consumption.

If Hypersoar has been cancelled it's news to me.

In the "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2004 - House Report 108-106" (May 16, 2003) p. 214, line item "0603285E Advanced Aerospace Systems (Hypersoar)" had 7.5 million dollars allocated for fiscal year 2003, with a ramp up over the following years of 21.5 million in 2004, 25 million in 2005, 40 million in 2006 and 50 million in 2007, 2008 & 2009.

Could the Hypersoar or something similar be operational?
It is possible that some kind of waverider or near hypersonic vehicle is operational - but since there is no official acknowledgement all we can do is go by sightings and other non-specific clues.

I put in a call to a friend at Livermore National Laboratory and asked him about the status of Hypersoar. When he replies I will post anything of interest that he has to say.

Intelgurl

E_T

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
I believe that one like it was. I forget the name, but it was formed under the Reagan adm. and was cancelled during the Clinton years (when else?).
I don't think so, I think this would be based on pretty much to technology of X-43 which isn't so old.

www.llnl.gov...
www.xs4all.nl...
www.aviationnow.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RATT
Could the Auroa Go to the moon and back with out refueling? or at least half way and back?

I wonder how hot the outter linning of the plane gets once its goes sub sonic.

The Aurora couldn't even come close to leaving our atmosphere, let alone going to the moon. It supposedly goes aroung mach 6-7, you need to go at least mach 25 to get to space.

What are you asking, about the outer linning, are you talking about something related to heat?

Originally posted by camefromhell
Yes, NASA tracks incoming shuttles, but they have a transponder that sends signals, which are received by Mission Control. You wouldn�t use a transponder on a military aircraft over hostile territory.

So then whats to stop them from putting a simmiliar signal on the Aurora or hypersoar or anything hypersonic? Nothing

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Intelgurl
If Hypersoar has been cancelled it's news to me.

Ok, scratch that, i did some looking and the "inventor" Carter, says that for all the tech and R&D it would take 500 million to become a reality, In terms of what this can do, that sounds like a drop in the bucket.

I do have one question that I havn't been able to get, what would its hottest temp be?

E_T

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   

It supposedly goes aroung mach 6-7, you need to go at least mach 25 to get to space.
Well... speed of sound depends on altitude so it's better say just that it requires speed over 11 km/s.

I do have one question that I havn't been able to get, what would its hottest temp be?
They can circulate fuel through pipes under the skin before it goes to engines. But that might be not enough for hottest parts of the plane.

Blackbird heats up to over 600 F so in lower parts of those jumps this would definitely gets very hot.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...
www.nasa.gov...
this was a scaled down version of what is intended to be built

[edit on 25-9-2004 by kessel]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   

... the "inventor" Carter, says that for all the tech and R&D it would take 500 million to become a reality, In terms of what this can do, that sounds like a drop in the bucket.

I think something like 300 million has been appropriated for the Hypersoar program over the next 7 years. plus another 400 million on related programs - sounds like a serious effort to me...

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Shuttle uses a transponder during re-entry and that's the only way it's tracked?

No way. How do you get the transponder signal through the plasma envelope? Who says we can't track something going that fast? It's not beyond our scope of technology by any means.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join