It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.5 earthquake in GUATEMALA!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

If you continue to post T&C violations from here on out, you may be post banned.
Either respond with something that contributes to the topic or don't respond at all.

edit on March 25th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

Thanks for the info.... but I meant specifically in this area - right off the coast in the pacific.

I wasn't making any predictions... just mentioned a "feeling" I was having about this specific area.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PerceptionReality

What's the quake history like for Guatemala? Is it a very active region? What kind of soils do you have and do you get a lot of long distance shaking and damage with quakes of this size?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Actually, I appreciate posts about earthquakes, no matter their magnitude. How does someone decide for the rest of the group what the acceptable magnitude is in order to make it post worthy?

It's sort of like people on the west coast scoffing at the 5.8 that hit the east coast ( Virginia USA) last year. It caused quite a bit of damage. What the scoffers didn't take into account is that due to the geology of the east coast vs the west coast, the "mere" 5.8 on the solid east coast strata, was tantamount to an 8+ quake in the broken up strata of the west coast. Of course some of the information and comparisons came out in the wash after the fact, but many people still don't understand the tremendous differences from east to west. Often you'll see jokes about how "bored" they are with these "tiny" quakes because they are used to greater magnitude quakes where they are located.....completely unaware/ignorant of the differences. Contrary to the old adage, ignorance isn't bliss.

One can imagine that if people don't understand the nuances of earthquakes in their own country, they certainly might not completely understand what may or may not be important across the globe.

I'd like to decide what is or isn't important to me.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
posted on 25-3-2012 @ 07:46 PM
Actually this one interests me as I have been having intuitive thoughts of a very large one happening in this area, but out in the Pacific. A very large one.

So I'll be watching this area in case this is a pre-curser to a bigger one off the pacific coast.

reply to post by Julie Washington

Like I said....

This area has been on my mental radar for the last week or so... don't know why.

But my feelings appear to have been right.

The area had this today:

Magnitude 6.0
Date-Time Monday, March 26, 2012 at 18:12:54 UTC
Monday, March 26, 2012 at 11:12:54 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 10.198°N, 104.030°W
Depth 9.9 km (6.2 miles)
Region NORTHERN EAST PACIFIC RISE
Distances 568 km (352 miles) E of Clipperton Island
862 km (535 miles) SSW of Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico
864 km (536 miles) SSW of Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, Mexico
1146 km (712 miles) SSW of MEXICO CITY, D.F., Mexico

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 20.3 km (12.6 miles); depth +/- 2.7 km (1.7 miles)
Parameters NST=315, Nph=315, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=1.45 sec, Gp= 97°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=A
Source Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

earthquake.usgs.gov...

However, my feelings were of something larger than this. So I will continue to watch this area with interest.

edit on 26-3-2012 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2012 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join