It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO filmed over Munich, Germany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Venus? The Moon? Chinese lanterns? U.F.O.? Or just another stupid hoax...

What do you think ATSers?

Please add more than just a video and "what do you think?"

TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
15k.) Video links/embeds: You will not embed or Post a link to a video without a reasonable description of its content and why it interests you, is germane to the topics discussed on the Websites or the topic of an existing thread should you post it in a reply to an existing thread.

STARTING A NEW THREAD
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on March 25th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by morningeagle

Or just another stupid hoax...

Yes.

Celestial object (have to check, Jupiter/Venus, any bright "star") filmed in and out of focus.

Yeah....just checked Stellarium. Video shot in evening. on 6 March. Venus and Jupiter both in the evening sky....depending on exact time, Venus may already have set, so it would be Jupiter.

edit on Sun 25 March 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
yes that one is nothing. no reference points, horrible photography.
they tried to make something out of it with the spooky music, it's all about the views on youtube....

I concur with Proudbird.
Nothing to see here folks, move along.....

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
*big huge sigh*
This is the phenomenon called: misidentification

It is a star. It is zoomed in soooooooooooooooooo close that this affect is created.
Not only that....the description in itself says NOT REAL.....so does the crappy music.....to play mind tricks on you and get you "in the mood"....

It appeared as if from nowhere, and was quickly gone again seconds later

the video is over a minute. so he cant even tell the truth in his description

great site for information on this...

Diamond shaped UFO

There are a fair number of video clips and photographs of diamond-shaped UFOs. There are also many photos and videos of fuzzy circular UFOs. In many cases these do not show the true shape of the object. That's because they are out of focus!

Many cameras use an autofocus system nowadays. Unfortunately, when you are taking a photo of a small object in the sky, particularly if it is dark, the autofocus system can struggle to get the focus sharp. This results in circle or diamond-shapes, depending on the aperture of the camera.
- video here -

edit on March 25th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird:

"Yeah....just checked Stellarium. Video shot in evening. on 6 March. Venus and Jupiter both in the evening sky....depending on exact time, Venus may already have set, so it would be Jupiter."

Oh c'mon! Venus and Jupiter have been within about 10 degrees of each other this entire month, and were closer to 5 degrees apart on the date mentioned. So one has not set already if this is the other. At least ATTEMPT to clear that pretty obvious hurdle, given that the video does zoom out enough to have captured both planets, the sky does appear to be clear, and so on. You even SAID you checked Stellarium!! Did you miss the other bright dot right next to whichever planet you think this is? In March we've barely been able to see one without the other, and certainly not that high in the sky. So I'm afraid that this is another example of the kind of knee-jerk dismissiveness that so often infects this forum, and I think it's a shame that people apparently blindly accepted this explanation.

On the other hand... it is a poor 'UFO' video to be sure, with absurdly fantastic claims in its title and music and over-production which don't speak well of its pedigree. It's a shame people blindly accept things like that, too, and I'm sure it gets tiring having to "explain" UFO video after UFO video when there are so many poor attempts and hoaxes out there. But that is no reason to embrace the Phil Klass method of analysis and dismissal. We're all here for the possible few percent, right? So let's be sure we're putting things in the right bin....

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TeaAndStrumpets

No, it doesn't:

....given that the video does zoom out enough to have captured both planets....

Look again. The videographer is intentionally deceptive.

Yes, Venus and Jupiter are roughly close 'azimuth-wise', but again.....if you've ever used a video camera, and the extreme zoom (as shown in the video), then you will know how narrow the field of view is, at a high zoom level.

Well narrow enough to be able to exclude another bright planet, even if only 10 degrees azimuth(or horizontal) apart.
edit on Mon 26 March 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeaAndStrumpets:
"....given that the video does zoom out enough to have captured both planets...."

Originally posted by ProudBird

No, it doesn't: Look again. The videographer is intentionally deceptive.

Yes, Venus and Jupiter are roughly close 'azimuth-wise', but again.....if you've ever used a video camera, and the extreme zoom (as shown in the video), then you will know how narrow the field of view is, at a high zoom level.

Well narrow enough to be able to exclude another bright planet, even if only 10 degrees azimuth(or horizontal) apart.

Are we looking at the same video? Because the video I'm seeing has what's above only a few seconds in. And from easy-to-find astronomical data, I see that Jupiter and Venus were just over 6.5 degrees apart on March 6. (Not right ascension or declination or even elevation/azimuth degrees, but "pure" degrees -- a great circle degree on the celestial sphere.)

Given the visual cues present in this video (which suggest the rather wide field of view when the camera is zoomed out), it's pretty obvious that anything as bright as Venus or Jupiter and only 6.5 degrees away from that bright dot would be visible. Yet there's nothing there.

I'm not saying it's a "real" UFO, absolutely not, since (I'm sure you'd agree!) there are many reasons to doubt that. But I AM saying that people should not just casually dismiss things without some reasoning and analysis behind that dismissal.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I agree. Here was the relation between the two on March 6th.

moreheadplanetarium.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
There is a possibility that Jupiter is too dim for the camera to pick up, but at -2.14 Apparent Mag. that doesn't say much for the camera being used.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman
There is a possibility that Jupiter is too dim for the camera to pick up, but at -2.14 Apparent Mag. that doesn't say much for the camera being used.

Yeah, I wondered about that. If it were just poor camera quality, though, you'd think that maybe Jupiter would blink in and out every few frames? Not sure. Both planets are very bright and vibrant.

To be clear, I don't see much of interest in this video, and DO see a few notable warning signs. I'd not be surprised if the video was from a totally different date, and it really is Venus. But people cannot be allowed to just casually dismiss things like this, using inaccurate information, i.e., I guess this has basically been just another instance of me urging people to offer up some actual analysis and not simply rush to judgment.

new topics

top topics

join