It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Cameron Now at Ocean's Deepest Point

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Hehehe, maybe he encountered the same thing as Admiral Byrd at the hollow earth entrance
Or when Niel landed on the moon

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Could you imagine getting a leg cramp in that small enclosed space?

Props to Cammeron and everyone that made this possible.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by Phage

Apparently, from what I can make out from the BBC article, he kicked up too much silt and everything went murky. Probably why he cut it short, no point staying down there to film if the cameras can't see anything.

The sub is designed to hover above the bottom and can move forward at 3 knots and vertically at 2.5 knots. Even if he stirred up silt, he would have moved out of it.

The dive was cut short by a hydraulic leak which prevented him from taking earth and biological samples. Also the bait towers, meant to lure in animals, weren't used because of a sonar problem on the sub. So it looks like there are few bugs in the sub left to work out, but he plans further dives to the trench. His next stop is London, England for a red carpet ceremony (what a boring life).

He did see a few shrimp like animals on this dive. It's amazing that they can live under all that pressure and not be turned into paste.

Hopefully the next dive will have the bait traps in place, and he will have time to look for hydrothermal or cold vents were life would aggregate.

"Gotta leave something for the next one," the explorer-filmmaker said.

Link

For movie fans, he plans on making Avatar 2 and 3 in parallel with the dives. Hmm, an Avatar trilogy.

He did a live press conference earlier today. Some comments made can be found here:

Press conference

edit on 26-3-2012 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

love the side profile picture... its awesome dude

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah

We are watching history being made today. A single man has dove into the extreme depths of the Mariana Trench, and survived the descent unscathed. The samples he will bring back for study may yield answers to many questions about life & geology in the Deep, or they may bring about new questions (more likely a little of both!)

I feel truly lucky to have been able to park my behind online & follow Twitter & FB while he dove, I really did get to watch history unfold in realtime updates. Also, Cameron's tweet after hitting bottom seemed bizarre, a tweet from the Deep had me giggling & shaking my head in amusement, lol.

news.nationalgeographic. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Hehe I know the feeling, as odd as it sounds, something like this can create a positive vibe around the world.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
people co paring this to the lunar landing. if its anything like it we should prob question the facts. i wouldnt be suprised if this whole thing was a fake. dont just believe everything

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I just can't wait to see a picture or a clip from his view...and i hope, some frking agencies don't get to him before he releases his findings.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Nice to hear he made it and 1 wishes him a safe return. It will be cool to see what if anything he is ALLOWED
to share.

edit on 3/26/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Clearly he was trying to find that bigarse diamond from the Titanic movie.

Anyhow, we need life awards. I think he just easily won this years "Epic Coolness" award.

This just in. his first picture is coming back:

(seems they got swamp gas down there also)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I thought he was spending 6 hours too...

What if he was asked to leave? HEHE

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Very cool, but anything of significants he finds will be kept from us serfs.

U

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I'm thinking it's gotta be so dark that it would be hard to see anything at all. Very cool though that he was able to make this trip down there.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I just can't wait to see a picture or a clip from his view...and i hope, some frking agencies don't get to him before he releases his findings.

what agencies ... could you be more specific
with your paranoia...?

you know he went to the bottom
of the ocean right> unless your suggesting
he had a close encounter, just like in His movie The Abyss

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This is a bit off topic....but

When people do stuff like this, traveling to the moon, going to the bottom of the ocean in a tube, Ive always wondered if they have drugs to keep them calm so they don't freak out. As much as you prepare it seems like you really wouldn't know how you would react until you were actually doing it.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
This is a bit off topic....but

When people do stuff like this, traveling to the moon, going to the bottom of the ocean in a tube, Ive always wondered if they have drugs to keep them calm so they don't freak out. As much as you prepare it seems like you really wouldn't know how you would react until you were actually doing it.

I doubt they take anything... other than something maybe to control bodily functions[ ie going to bathroom]

you prepare by meditating
learning to control your mind
and proper breathing techniques.

controlling your mind [if you can achieve it]
is the only drug you need

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Awaits his next sea related movie for clues.....
I LOVE THIS PALNET

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Wow!

Good for him! It will be interesting to see what sort of samples he brings up

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Gives me hope......... you see the Grey's are in the deepest of our waters and I have said before the Marianna Trench and the Puerto Rico Trench. I do hope he catches something. This could be more mind blowing then you think

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender

Originally posted by luciddream

what agencies ... could you be more specific
with your paranoia...?

you know he went to the bottom
of the ocean right> unless your suggesting
he had a close encounter, just like in His movie The Abyss

Nothing to do with paranoia, What if he finds some structures or ancient civilization information, which some international agencies do not want the information to be exposed to public yet.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join