It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Cameron Now at Ocean's Deepest Point

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
So he spent three hours or so on the bottom?

This is just the first dive he has planned. He wants to attach a fiber-optic cable to the sub to have better communications with the surface. Right now he his mostly texting with some intermittent audio communication. This is worse than communication with the Apollo astronauts on the moon.

He also wants to build a second-generation sub based on this one. I am not sure if he will dive the Marianas Trench again. There are many interesting wrecks and hydrothermal vents he could dive to.

It will be interesting to hear about his experience.

Nevertheless, as they say in baseball, "This is one for the history books".

Update: .@JimCameron has surfaced! Congrats to him on his historic solo dive to the ocean's deepest point
edit on 25-3-2012 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Phage, I must admit, even if it were a 2 hour special on just the sub itself, I would be absolutely thrilled. I do hope they spend a good amount of time detailing it, it's construction & systems deserve their limelight.

He has surfaced as of a few minutes ago

@JimCameron has surfaced! Congrats to him on his historic solo dive to the ocean's deepest point #deepseachallenge

twitter.com...#!/DeepChallenge

It occurred to me that perhaps the weather could have cut the exploration short, also. I know they have been having a great deal of trouble with it as of late anyway. If the weather outlook looked to be too risky for the ships, I can understand pulling the plug early for safety. I guess we won't know the reason until they say.
edit on 3/25/2012 by Nyiah because: typo

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Deepest Solo Dive Makes History!

National Geographic and Rolex congratulate James Cameron and the DEEPSEA CHALLENGE team on a successful and historic expedition to the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench.

Rolex?

deepseachallenge.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
When will we see this footage,in a years time at the cinema in 3d?

I quess we will have to make this millionare even richer...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by paperface

I hope it's in IMAX. National Geographic plans an issue covering the dive.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperface

This millionaire partnered & pooled his resources with a university, a premiere oceanography institute, an exploration magazine that funds plenty on it's own (the support from Rolex is beyond me, though) I would wager a good bet that if this is released in the IMAX format, that far more funds would go to research than a private account. He does this because it's a personal passion, and he has the money to do it. This is not a bad thing, it helps a GREAT deal where the government falls woefully short. Thank him, not many with deep pockets would be nearly so generous with them.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Here's a picture just released of him surfacing (the green object on the left). The waves look much choppier than when he started, so the weather may have been a factor in the shortened dive.

Link

edit on 25-3-2012 by Nicolas Flamel because: added link

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperface

After seeing the original Star Wars film in 1977, Cameron quit his job as a truck driver to enter the film industry: en.wikipedia.org...

Work hard and you could be a millionaire too.

Then maybe you can help fund an amazing project out of your own pocket.

edit on 25-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Yes, Rolex. Since it's Nat Geo, there was bound to be a partnering sponsor. His cost a ton of money, Rolex helped make some back.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Congratz to Mr. Cameron and his team for achieving such expedition! All I could think from the first thread made about the upcoming dive and now this one was that movie THE ABYSS!

Hopefully NatGeo and Mr.Cameron will shed some light and not with hold information of its finding, even if it's only mud he found!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I hope Jimmy doesn't go with 3D in his documentary.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Apparently, from what I can make out from the BBC article, he kicked up too much silt and everything went murky. Probably why he cut it short, no point staying down there to film if the cameras can't see anything.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Nyiah

The problem is...what if all he saw was mud?

That's what I'm afraid of. Of course I've been hoping since this was announced he would record incredible things never before seen by man. By incredible things I'm of course looking forward to giant creatures and or a full fledged alien base. Mud and tiny crustaceans is all I think we'll see, still very impressive what he's doing, it truly is history in the making. Btw isn't his brother working on cameras or something to be used exploring Vostok and isn't that a test for future exploration of Europa? Or am I completely off the mark and have my stories all mixed up?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Well when he wins an award for this, which he will lol, he can scream "I'm king of the deep ocean!" then all he has left is space :-)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel

Originally posted by ConspiracySquid7
Great achievement by James! But they stated in the article that the Challenger Deep is the deepest point in the ocean like nowhere else could be deeper. We only have about 5% of the ocean mapped though

They used SONAR to find the deepest spot in the ocean. Here's a video that explains how this works:

video.nationalgeographic.com...

But you're right in that most of the ocean bottom is still unexplored.

Only the U.S. and I am sure Russian Navy really know whats down there. The problem with only him going is that he can change and edit the whole trip if he wants to make us believe his Atheist crap. 20 says he claims E.T. lives down there in secret bases

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Very cool... Thanks for posting...

Now - the real challenge begins...

Trying to located the drain plug.....

Also - NASA can no longer use the excuses they have been for not sending man back to the moon and on to Mars. If we can make it to the bottom of the ocean then we can make it to close stellar bodies.
edit on 26-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel

Originally posted by ConspiracySquid7
Great achievement by James! But they stated in the article that the Challenger Deep is the deepest point in the ocean like nowhere else could be deeper. We only have about 5% of the ocean mapped though

They used SONAR to find the deepest spot in the ocean. Here's a video that explains how this works:

video.nationalgeographic.com...

But you're right in that most of the ocean bottom is still unexplored.

Only the U.S. and I am sure Russian Navy really know whats down there. The problem with only him going is that he can change and edit the whole trip if he wants to make us believe his Atheist crap. 20 says he claims E.T. lives down there in secret bases

You are so right!

Yeah, I bet he edits out footage of Leviathan, the beast is huge and unseen since biblical times since it MUST live at those depths. I'm positive he hides the fact that a whale SWALLOWED his sub, then after a hypocritical prayer marathon by Cameron and god's mercy, the beast promptly barfed him out thus cutting his stay short.

You are so right...for me to poop on!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
rich people and there toys..
im sure thousands of people would willingly go down there given the chance....
i would go tomorrow if he asked me.....

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
If only this were David Cameron... could someone eject him, and leave him there?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join