It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job hunting and the local newspaper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Our local newspaper no longer prints help wanted ads, instead it directs you to a job search site. This site is incredibly difficult to navigate plus you have to search by job title instead of categories. This means if you don't know the exact name of the position, you are likely to over look the job posting, potentially missing out on job that you could have applied for but didn't because you had no idea the position even existed. The site gives you the option to enter keywords and they e-mail help wanted ads that contain those keywords. The problem is, by the time they actually send out the e-mail the position has been filled.
Job hunting is becoming more and more difficult as it is. Craigslist is filled with mostly spam and the legit jobs all want a minimum of 2 years experience. I guess the best method for finding work is just to start going through the phone book and driving around town.
I actually had one job interview that asked me if I would agree to spend a minimum of 50% of my paycheck in the store. (department store) Several other places I have applied at have told me they are only looking for people teenagers and housewives who are looking for extra spending money.
I have gone back to school to get a different degree but even then I don't hold out much hope. I think in this day and age you need multiple degrees so that you have a larger pool of available places to apply too.
I have even looked into starting my own business but I have come to the conclusion they don't want people starting their own business so they make it impossible for people who don't already have money or the credit rating of someone with a ton of money.
edit on 25-3-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
If like to work work with food, try this one. Need to register, but it worth.

www.careersinfood.com...

Good luck !

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

My newspaper doesn't direct you to a website but there is nothing be be seen there either. I wish I could find someone looking for housewives here. In fact I've almost always been asked at interviews if I have children and it always puts a negative look on their face when I say yes and explain that ''even though I have a child at home that there is always someone to watch her that is home bound and there for reliable to be there at any moments notice''. (I always get this from places not just looking for busy season type help) I would be leary about anyone says ''looking for teens and housewives'' because what they mean is ''looking for someone disposable''

PS the only job I've ever seen someone get on craigslist was for Jim Bakker. My hubby had a HORRIBLE stint working for that cult and that's the only legit (for lack of a better word) job listed on there.
edit on 25-3-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: What do you get when you cross a rooster with a telephone pole?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

I will definitely check that out. At this point I don't care what the job is. I'll take anything.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Have you tried other (possibly regional) second hand websites? Here in Holland there are many people offering and asking for help at home, cleaning, gardening, that kinda thing. Just an idea. I haven't used a paper to look for a job in years and I have a sticker on my door saying "No Local Papers or Advertising Post". It cuts down on the amount of waste paper I need to throw away every week. In fact, they push so much junk mail and 3 or 4 local papers that are just full of mindless crap that I got sick of having to throw it away (recycle).

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

The jobs looking for housewives were in the mall passing out sample about 10 hours a week. They were basicly referring to the type of housewives whose husbands make enough money they don't need to work and can hire a nanny. At least that is the impression I got. Nothing that would provide enough money to pay the bills, but they way I saw it was having a job to begin with makes finding another job easier. Every place I went to in the mall pretty much made it clear with out saying that, "We want you to work here so that you will shop here."
I am a single mom myself. Fortunately my oldest is old enough and mature enough to watch his younger siblings. So I just say say my children are older. There was a time when that wasn't the case so I know exactly what you mean.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

I remember seeing adds like that in the past. It seems like they have all but disappeared. We do have smaller papers that have classifieds and I always look on bulletin boards, but it is mostly people offering their services not looking for services.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The stats for job-finding clearly indicate that more than half of all jobs found are not from newspaper classifieds but by personal contacts of one kind or another where you learn of a position and possibly get a bit of help getting hired from the person that told you about the job.

And a good measure of other jobs are found by leg work of the job seeker and not from the newspaper.

What can be taken from this is that in a tough job market you should be in your home territory where you have family, friends, and acquaintances that you can tap for possibilities. It is a mistake to take off to find work in a relatively unknown city where you have absolutely no safety net.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
When I was out of work, this site was my best friend:

Careerbuilder

They let you select your location and the keywords (or no keywords if you're willing to try anything) so you can find jobs local to you instead of half way across the country (like Monster.com
).

It took me 9 months of being out of work but, I finally found a better job than the one I left through that site.

Good luck in your job search.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I've been fortunate in that I found my last 3 jobs on Craigslist. But as someone pointed out, it ain't the same anymore. Anyway, a friend of mine has been looking lately and found this:

About.com: How to find a job

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

why don't you put your own ad in?

where r u from? what Country?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
oh and a friend of mine put up an ad in her local supermarket for ironing and she was making about 400 bucks a week!!

so that is another option. I hate ironing but if I needed to earn some money that is what I would do.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Keep the suggestions coming. I really liked that Careerbuilder site. I browsed a bit on the About.com: one. Lots of information there.
As for location, my city is #6 on the list for cities with the highest unemployment rate in California. Trying not to let that discourage me but I have my moments.
I am sure some people would say move, but that just isn't a possibility right now.

As far as putting an ad out, do you mean like for yard work or pet sitting? I haven't really thought about that but I couldn't hurt, it would be extra money until I do find a job. I have done done odd jobs here and there for people I know. I even got paid once to help someone who wasn't very internet savvy find what they were looking for.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

oh another person I know walks other People's Pets and gets paid for it!! And she even got a 'weekly' allowance for looking after her clients Pets when they went on holiday!!!!

think of all the things you need to do but do not have the time to do it... that is what happens to other People who are working full time... and raising a family.

good luck with it... I say when the going gets tough... be innovative and creative!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Thank you I appreciate it. I guess you do have to get pretty creative.

top topics

join