It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators ask feds to probe requests for passwords

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Good. It's about time someone in this government takes a stand to protect our privacy from unconstitutional privacy invasion by big business and government agencies. Our privacy has been ignored and abused for far too long. I would like to see someone go to jail over this, but I will be happy if they at least pass some kind of law or regulation against this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two U.S. senators are asking Attorney General Eric Holder to investigate whether employers asking for Facebook passwords during job interviews are violating federal law, their offices announced Sunday.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Your link is no good, this one should work.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

If I was asked this at a job interview, I'd just get up and leave. Plus don't they say NEVER give that out to ANYBODY

edit on 25-3-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Yup.

Unlike those other gray area problems with privacy rights, it was a matter of time before this got more attention.

clap clap!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

For one I wouldn't have a face book account anyway
What a handy little Database for Big brother to have, and they didn't even have to work at building it. Oh wait, It's true, and i had that thought cross my mind not long after face book appeared on the internet back in 2004 or so.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
the simple method to defeat it is not to have a facebook account and job done as they cant ask you to furnish passwords you never have had or you can create a facebook page which is as blank as possible with just a photo of yourself and no links to anything so they can find something and be happy that they know you have no friends etc

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Seeing as how Holder makes up the law as he goes along, I'm sure the results will be interesting.

It feels good to not be in the grip of facebook, so this doesn't effect me exactly, but the debate about privacy rights is important to all.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Whats next, are employers going to want to look through an applicants house before hiring them?

I use FB because there are many people I couldn't otherwise keep in touch with on it. Also, I don't use my real photo- there are many people with my name in the world, and my info is set to private. Good luck to them trying to prove its mine, if I am ever asked.. but yeah asking for a password to facebook is absurd.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

absolutely, its like rummaging through a womans purse or asking a guy to hand over his wallet so you can check out his cards or his photo on a driving license. Or how about all your browser bookmarks? Your documents and photos on your personnel laptop? its the same crazy #!

totally a huge invasion of privacy.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
the simple method to defeat it is not to have a facebook account and job done as they cant ask you to furnish passwords you never have had or you can create a facebook page which is as blank as possible with just a photo of yourself and no links to anything so they can find something and be happy that they know you have no friends etc

People should open FB accounts if they choose. A more ideal method would be to just laugh at them and leave the interview. If everyone did that they would find their labor pool severely diminished.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
First of all I dont TWITER or FaceBook, but if I did, they would have a hell of a time getting a PW. I guard my private life. I am a loner and want to keep it that way. If I dont want it known, then I dont put it on the web. It is not safe to do so. Enough info is available as it is.
I have considered just leaving the web all the way from home and use wifi and a used laptop that was originally bought by someone else.

new topics

top topics

join