It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interpreters On The Forums

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I have noticed that not everyone speaks good English. I have no problem with this; as long as I can read it and make sense of it, it's all good.

However, sometimes the English is atrocious, and since this is an English-speaking site, I was wondering if there wasn't a way to arrange official (or unofficial) "translators", people who voluntarily translate non-English posts into proper English.

There could be a Translate option on the thread, and by clicking it, you alert the volunteers to whatever post needs translating. They would then translate the post, exactly as it is written (except for necessary grammatical/spelling changes, to smooth the process over) and repost it as English. Optionally, it could be reviewed by staff for accuracy and readability before actually appearing to the public.

They could be moderators, they could be average users deciding to help out with the site...but I thought it would be a good idea.

Yes? No? Maybe? What's your vote?
edit on CSundaypm181820f20America/Chicago25 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Thank you for the suggestion. We/Staff do read them and consider them.

On the topic of different languages...within the Terms and Conditions of this site, there is this bit:

15i.) Language:
The dominant language of our users and moderation staff is English.
In order to promote a smooth-running environment and fair enforcement of the Terms and Conditions of Use (and the Terms and Conditions of Membership), you agree not to Post or chat in any language other than English.

...while that 'English Only' rule does create some issues for those who are not English-speakers to engage with ATS, that is the line in the sand of sorts...sure, it won't be 100% workable for 100% of the people...and I can assure Members that I do empathise...as English isn't my first language either...as seen in my signature...

edit on 25-3-2012 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

I nominate Starchild23

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

There is this thread:

The UFO-Alien Applied Linguistics Registry

It's in dire need of an update though...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

And we haven't had any new volunteers for a long time.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Starchild23

There is this thread:

The UFO-Alien Applied Linguistics Registry

It's in dire need of an update though...

Glad you brought that thread back. I was going to say exactly the same thing that there was a thread done years ago but I don't think it was used as it was meant to be.

And I do agree, that needs to be revised! If you notice, I was the Reserved since there were 3 Spanish speaking volunteeres at the time!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by Chadwickus

And we haven't had any new volunteers for a long time.

I'm still here and can still volunteer when necessary!

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Starchild23

I nominate Starchild23

That was a horrifically low blow.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I would happily volunteer for some translation.

If it is Dutch, or German.

vvv

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

Indeed. However, you will find that there are a few members ( One in particular comes to mind with special emphasis) who actually employ Google Translate or similar devices in order to "speak" English.

The issue with this is that, while exhibiting stellar spelling, these programs have absolutely no grasp of grammar whatsoever. The inherent stumbling block is that you can't read their posts worth a flying rat's fecal matter. It wouldn't perturb me if this same user that I am thinking of didn't find it compulsory to consistently fill meaningful threads, which I have started with great love and devotion, with boatloads of incomprehensible arguments that I can't make heads nor tails out of.

Hence, I thought I would bring the idea of Interpreters to the table. After all, I am sure that there are many non-English users on this site. It would be beneficial to the broad experience to have clear communication instead of the jumble of mismatched words that is commonly mistaken for concise iteration.

new topics

top topics

join