It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Legend of Korra

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
How many of you have seen Avatar: The Last Airbender?

I was enthralled with the way the show depicted humans has in sync with the elements of nature. Not only were the characters utilizing the elements, but they were also incorporating the essential aspects of each element into their personality and life.

They learned about peace and life, in every way, from the elements themselves. Nature was their greatest teacher. This is what I loved...humankind becoming natural.

And here is a new show based off of The Last Airbender. It's called (as the title says) The Legend of Korra.

The Legend of Korra

For those of you who enjoyed the original series, I hope you find this one just as entertaining. It's only just begun, but I'm sure it will be quite a ride!

Nature has so much to teach us!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I'm watching Korra as well. It's good to find another fan.

To be honest with you, after I heard about the sequel I was a little bit worried. I wasn't sure how the whole new industrial age era would translate into the world of Avatar. Most of all, I was worried that the spirit of the show would be lost without the hijinks of Aang, Katara, Toph, and Sokka. I fell in love with the characters to a point where I have given the original series 5 honest complete watch through's and maybe 12 cherry picking watch through's where I cut the filler out. That's how much of a fan I am.

After seeing the first two episodes on Korranation.com, I was not only satisfied, but I was excited. I can see where this series is heading. The respect for nature and spirituality was clear in the original series, but is purposely being lost and altered in the second series. The bending styles are changing and there are even those who find themselves oppressed by bending. Technological advancement is taking over the old ways of reverence and respect. Korra is a reflection of modern society without being too in your face "conservative traditionalist" or "liberal ecologist". There is this underlying hint that the lack of spirituality and reverence to nature will play a huge part in later plots. I definitely think KOH will be making a return in a big way and the spirit world may leak into the world of the living...remember Hei Bai? Things will get interesting, especially since the new Avatar has a high disconnect level with the spiritual world.

The scenery and animations are beautiful, so much more so than the original series. Everything is more alive and organic, to the point where it is obvious that Nick realizes that the Avatar series is their biggest cash cow. Everything transitions so smooth and seamlessly and to the point where the character's facial movements are dynamic and realistic even in the most mundane of conversations. The fight choreography is out of this world as well, and I'm liking the new boxing and kick boxing styles that are being added in the probending arena...however it's another sign of tradition and reverence being trampled on by progression.

The characters in Korra are amazing as well. Tenzin is the perfect straight man and father figure. He's calm, patient, and understanding. He's oddly the focus on some of the situational humor as well. His kids are something else...they're a riot all on their own. I love them. Lin Bei Fong is an uncompromising hardass, and that's exactly what I expected. Bolin is an awkward ladies man who loves a good crowd and the flashing lights. He's Sokka 2.0 and I don't have a problem with it. Mako is a brooding arrogant ass, and I still love the character.

Korra is amazing. She's a hothead, and she's headstrong. She's a strong willed protagonist who doesn't take disrespect from anyone, well...at least without reciprocation. She may seem overpowered and ridiculously strong, but she has a lot of growing to do. She has a calm and spiritual side that must be built from the bottom up if she is to be the bridge between the natural and spiritual world. Her development area is wide open for improvement, and I can see it being a very fun journey getting there. She's the opposite of Aang, and yet I still love the character.

All in all, this series will be fantastic, and I can't wait for more.

new topics

join