It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Death Toll in Haiti flooding tops 1000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The death count as a result of the flooding caused by tropical storm Jeanne in north-western Haiti has reached over 1000 according to local and UN officials. However, there are fears that many more bodies will be found as the waters begin to recede.

news.bbc.co.uk
Rescuers are struggling to aid victims, and burying the dead in mass graves to try to prevent the spread of disease.
Many residents have been forced to take shelter on rooftops, as bloated bodies float along the streets.

"There is a risk of epidemic... There is no electricity, the morgues are not working," Prime Minister Gerard Latortue said.

Later on Wednesday trucks dumped dozens of unidentified bodies into a mass grave in Gonaives.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This just goes to show that with all the troubles going on in the world and our lives, nature can sometimes stand up and show us all who's really the boss.

[edit on 9-23-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 24-9-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
This is so tragic for the Haitians. Have you guys seen the images of the devastation left behind? I feel so sorry for those people. Everything they own is destroyed and now they are living on roofs with no food, they are hungry and there is nothing to eat. Disease is going to be the next problem for these people. My heart cries for all those who are suffering in the islands. Here in the US we have the capabilities and infrastructure to rebound much faster than those on the islands.

If you have ever dreamed of visiting the caribbean, or actually vacationed there, or have any compassion, I urge you to give a dollar, or extra food, just one item at least to any local hurricane relief effort in your area. Any little bit with help.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This is almost unfathomable to my mind. 1,000+ from flooding!?! Sometimes the Earth stands up and shows us how small we really are.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Have you ever seen pictures of Haiti BEFORE a hurricane? The place is a huge dump with rampant crime. Trash everywhere, buildings all in disarray. The only real difference is the trash blew from one side of the road to the other and the added water/flooding. I suppose this could be a result of constant barrage by hurricane and a corrupt leader hooked on prozac/ritalin or whatever named Aristede?

One can only hope that eventually people in hurricane zones learn to build with concrete block/reinforced and to build away from sea level.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
More than 1,250 are still reported missing and they are assuming that they have washed out to sea, or been buried in the mud. This is so sad, those poor people.

[url=http://www.usatoday.com/weather/hurricane/2004-09-20-haiti-jeanne_x.htm]usatoday.com
GONAIVES, Haiti (AP) � Workers dug new mass graves for corpses that still littered this flood-ravaged city Thursday as the death toll from Tropical Storm Jeanne rose to more than 1,070 and residents grew increasingly agitated from a lack of food and drinkable water.

Officials say the death toll could reach 2,000, with more than 1,250 reported missing and presumed washed out to sea, buried in mud or floating in houses still inaccessible to rescuers

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
People I am from the Caribbean and not everybody in those Island had the means to live in comfortable conditions, they are extremely poor, and the governments only function with the help of US funds.

They are just Island trying to survive out of the littler tourism they get and now with this hurricane they are not even going to have that for quite a long time.

This people are going to need all the help they can get in order to survive for next few months so right now the main thing is water and food.

Most of them are starving during regular times so you imagine now, even the Island were I am from in PR send help for them, and yes we also have a big migration problems from the Haitians and other lest fortunate Islands due to the fact that PR is a US territory

[edit on 23-9-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
can anyone shed any light on this story Ive been hearing on news and conspiracy sites for the last 2days?
Apparently the storm surge has completley covered Tortuga Island and there has been no communication between Haiti and any of Tortugas 26,000 residents since the hurricane passed by. I have so far heard no news of this in the mainstream news sites, tho neither have I heard anyone deny that this is just a rumour. The spanich and russian press have more information than the Uk's tight lipped media.

Any news is welcome to prove or disprove this news as it breaks my heart to think that someone may be trying to cover up the deaths of the missing 26,000 inhabitants, just to stop a widespread exodus of the other carribean islands.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
How in the hell do you lose 1000 people to a tropical storm? We just went through 2 hurricanes (and another one this weekend it looks like) and had to just pick up some branches....

Helps that we're flat as a pancake here I guess....no such things as mudslides here.....

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Couple hours ago I found article about missing an island in rense.com -now that article has vanished from there as well -I dont know what is going on, there on that island, has anybody got a clue?

[edit on 24-9-2004 by jazzgul]

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
How in the hell do you lose 1000 people to a tropical storm?

There was an earthquake nearby as well.
Causing a tsunami.
I guess the waters were already high b/c of Jeanne so it would cause quite some damage...

And because of this:
Rebels seize Haiti's Tortue Island
...It might also have something to do about the "silence" and "difficulties" to get rescue to the island.

I think the death toll is way much more than 2000, but that is my guess.

new topics

top topics

join