It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did they start?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I am curious...

When was the first recorded (no meaning video camera) alien sighting in history??

Ancient times?

50 years ago?

Does anybody really know?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Well, the first accounts seem to be cave paintings on walls, but then, we're unsure if that is exactly what they are depicting.

Next, we have accounts in the Bible, such as Ezekhial (sp?) but then again, some say that is conjecture as well.

To me, the most concrete of early sightings can be found in numerous art examples in the Middle Ages, and Renaissance. Many of these resemble (some exactly) modern photos of UFOs, and some even depict men inside ships in the sky (all before manned flight). I'll search some of the other threads as we've posted such pics before.

Check here: www.ufoartwork.com...

[edit on 23-9-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Well some has interpreted 47,000 year old cave/stone paintings as UFOs...

One of the first written statements is from Egypt I believe, around 1500 BC, describing 50 meter wide circle shaped "fireballs" covering the sky, odd smell, no "voice" (engine noise in other words), etc... The Pharao was so stunned he ordered it written down so it could be remembered

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka

One of the first written statements is from Egypt I believe, around 1500 BC, describing 50 meter wide circle shaped "fireballs" covering the sky, odd smell, no "voice" (engine noise in other words), etc... The Pharao was so stunned he ordered it written down so it could be remembered

Can you post information on "fireballs" in Egypt? Where did you get this from?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
BTW, if you check my link above, you further have to choose on either BC or AD examples....to actually see pics...

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by beer

Originally posted by merka

Can you post information on "fireballs" in Egypt? Where did you get this from?

Got it from an old myths and mysteries book I "borrowed" from my sister a long time ago.

But google is your friend

ufoinfo.com...

Says fire circles though, my book is in swedish, translation may vary. Sidenote: One rod btw is around 50m, as I've understood it.

Whether its been debunked I dont know, one site says it cant be verified since the papyrus is lost... And we all know that everything without proof now a days is fake or bogus

[edit on 23-9-2004 by merka]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Well, the first accounts seem to be cave paintings on walls, but then, we're unsure if that is exactly what they are depicting.

A number of those "paintings" are modern frauds. In the case of the "oooh! It's a circle! Therefore it's a UFO!" crowd, we have a lot of evidence that they weren't painting UFOs.

Next, we have accounts in the Bible, such as Ezekhial (sp?) but then again, some say that is conjecture as well.

If you've read the passage, it's pretty obviously done along the lines of standard OT visionary stuff and not taken from real life.

To me, the most concrete of early sightings can be found in numerous art examples in the Middle Ages, and Renaissance. Many of these resemble (some exactly) modern photos of UFOs, and some even depict men inside ships in the sky (all before manned flight). I'll search some of the other threads as we've posted such pics before.

I'll dispute that, because the descriptions of the paintings (by the people commissioning them and by the artists and by the churches and so forth that own them) are not of "mysterious craft."

For instance, the "guy in the space capsule" is nothing more or less than a standard representation of the "Man in the Moon" which exists in a number of places (they thought divinities and powers inhabited/were the moon and sun.)

Seen *out* of cultural context, you could force the argument "hey! It's a UFO!" But like the pampliset at Abydos, once you see it in the context and in the cultural context (the rest of the words in the inscription), it's very obvious that someone is running around and taking things out of context to make it support their own theory.

[edit on 23-9-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Don't know if this could be one of the threads Gazrok was referring to, but here's a link to the Ufos in Art of Antiquity?-thread, where this was discussed quite a bit

[edit on 23-9-2004 by Durden]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I'll dispute that, because the descriptions of the paintings (by the people commissioning them and by the artists and by the churches and so forth that own them) are not of "mysterious craft."

For instance, the "guy in the space capsule" is nothing more or less than a standard representation of the "Man in the Moon" which exists in a number of places (they thought divinities and powers inhabited/were the moon and sun.)

Seen *out* of cultural context, you could force the argument "hey! It's a UFO!" But like the pampliset at Abydos, once you see it in the context and in the cultural context (the rest of the words in the inscription), it's very obvious that someone is running around and taking things out of context to make it support their own theory.

Have to seriously disagree with you there... Are THESE really taken out of context???

This one could easily be a comet too, but I included it because of the fact it is going sideways, left to right, not at an angle like a comet or meteor sighting....

If you've read the passage, it's pretty obviously done along the lines of standard OT visionary stuff and not taken from real life.

Who can differentiate between "real life" sightings and visions in the Bible? It's all equally sensational....

A number of those "paintings" are modern frauds. In the case of the "oooh! It's a circle! Therefore it's a UFO!" crowd, we have a lot of evidence that they weren't painting UFOs.

Granted, as I mentioned many are still debated. However, I did want to point out the earliest inferences...

I've often wondered if the Church or Artists were aware of some kind of ET link with the origin of Jesus (you'll often see these in paintings about Mary and Jesus' conception), as the infamous "Yellow Book" infers, and actually commissioned the work as such...

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Personally, I love this one:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Yep, no "misinterpretation" there....

As for more modern UFO sightings, other than the "foo fighters" during WWII, the "first" is usually acknowledged as Kenneth Arnold's sighting in Mt. Rainer, of 9 chevron shaped objects in formation, in June (I believe) of 1947...but that's off the cuff, hehe... This is where the term "flying saucers" was coined, because of Arnold's description of the way they "skipped" in the air, like a saucer skipping on a lake.......

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Yep, no "misinterpretation" there....

As for more modern UFO sightings, other than the "foo fighters" during WWII, the "first" is usually acknowledged as Kenneth Arnold's sighting in Mt. Rainer, of 9 chevron shaped objects in formation, in June (I believe) of 1947...but that's off the cuff, hehe... This is where the term "flying saucers" was coined, because of Arnold's description of the way they "skipped" in the air, like a saucer skipping on a lake.......

According to the ufocasebook, "saucer" was used in 1878 to describe a UFO... So they just stole it

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Perhaps, just stating the generally accepted....

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Wow!

Those are truely some amazing pictures Gazrok

Thanks

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Yeah, those really are something.

I'd never seen them before.

Of course I'm not really a "UFO buff", but I'm interested.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Another question.

If something other than UFO's what could those objects in the sky in all those painting possible be?

Just using their imagination? I doubt it.

link   
www.crystalinks.com...

heres a link to a site with loads of other paintings and tapestrys depicting ufo's

[edit on 23-9-2004 by devil9t9uk]

link   
You're welcome, but the real credit goes to some of those who first found the site and mentioned it, in previous posts. I merely used the pics to illustrate my point...

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
just adding some more info no harm in that

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

If something other than UFO's what could those objects in the sky in all those painting possible be?

Just using their imagination? I doubt it.

That's the big mystery isn't it? I'm aware of nothing like that in Christian mythology. Yet, these works were commissioned by the Church? They paid the artists, so obviously they approved of the works! I'm thinking that at one time, there was some more scripture related to the birth of Jesus, that at this time (the time of such works), was well known, but later purged from the records...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join