It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were you born religious or is it something you learnt?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

If Sin in this context is following your own desires he is right.

Your average two year old has far more violent outbursts than most difficult teenagers.

I remember watching a program with a child development expert who said, "If you were to wake up one day and your two year old was in the body of a teenager they would kick the crap out of you." okay that may be a paraphrase..

People are selfish. It's innate to all of us. Social and cultural conditioning make most of us able to fit into society. But the selfishness remains.

Spiritual development was the only way I could overcome my selfishness and in my opinion is the only way to.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

Well said, but children are a product of their environment...

IF the average 2 year old is brought up "correctly", at least according to spirituality... he/she would not be selfish.

Parents teach their children their morals and values... And as we know, not all parents are great role models.

And religion doesn't always create the best role models either...

remember this?

13Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.

14But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

edit on 25-3-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

You say product of environment. I say cultural and social conditioning. Semantics no?

Or are you saying two year olds are violent because they learn it from their parents?

Forgive me I'm a little hung over this afternoon

edit on 25-3-2012 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Pretty much...

Where else would a two year old learn to be violent if not from their parents or others?

In a child, violence is a learned behaviour... the child learns that he/she gets what he wants by acting out...

Natural instincts tell the child to be selfish only because the self is all it understands at that age... If properly "taught" selfishness can be eliminated at an early age, and will stick with that child throughout his/her life.

edit on 25-3-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Well said, but children are a product of their environment...

IF the average 2 year old is brought up "correctly", at least according to spirituality... he/she would not be selfish.

Parents teach their children their morals and values... And as we know, not all parents are great role models.

And religion doesn't always create the best role models either...

no only Jesus does...

but Christianity is not all theism, Jesus just gets my vote.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
if anyone here can find a fault in my savior (no not Obama either) Jesus!

I will leave the site...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

sin is a man made conception. it simply does not exist in the contextual religous form that we most firmly recognize it. it is a word used to describe actions that "God" may find undesireable or punishable by death. these sins including LOOKING at a woman with lust or being a homosexual. frivolity at its finest if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098

Spiritual development was the only way I could overcome my selfishness and in my opinion is the only way to.

Without any disrespect meant, speak for yourself.

If it helped you better yourself, that's great. However, don't assume it's the only way anyone can "Get over their selfishness". Many other ways are possible, such as developing empathy instead of developing spirituality. You may speak about what works for yourself, but even in the guise of 'opinion', it's not really anyone's place to declare what works for others as well.

You're statement implies that all non-spiritual people are dominated by their selfishness. That's false.

~
Again, not doubting that route worked for you, or condemning that you choose that route. I'm just saying, it's never good to assume that what works for you is the only thing that works for anybody else either.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I would argue empathy is an act of spirituality?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
There's a presence, a soul in the machine. I feel it. There's life in the air. Stick your head out the window. There's something in the air. It's not dead.

Look out the window as it is. Then imagine it as it would be if it were a picture, 2 dimensional and flat and lifelesss. It's not 2 dimensional and flat and lifeless. It's alive. That life is God.
edit on 25-3-2012 by Hillarie because: I thought of something else.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
I would argue empathy is an act of spirituality?

I'd feel you'd have to redefine spirituality if you wanted it to completely encompass emotions and relations.

With that new definition of spirituality, then maybe one could argue you need it to get pasted selfishness. However, that would still say nothing about the part of spirituality being discussed, and would say nothing about the actual 'spiritual' part not being the only path to overcoming selfishness.

This is why semantics arguments go absolutely nowhere.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
When religion was forced upon me at a young age, I did not accept it. Some years later events took place to open my eyes towards the spirit, and since then I was steadily walking a path over several years calling myself "Christian". Upon a clearing, I realized that no one specific religion has all the answers and all the tools I needed to continue onward.

Since then, I identify myself as simply "spiritual", or "gnostic" in the sense that it is divine knowledge I seek. I look upon all teachings, especially the less traditional/ancient/lost ones, as ways to touch the light within and bring it out for the world:

"... no one lights a lamp and puts it under a basket, nor does one put it in a hidden place. Rather, one puts it on a lampstand so that all who come and go will see its light."

"There is light within a person of light, and it shines on the whole world. If it does not shine, it is dark."

The world is full of darkness (spiritual ignorance) right now, so we need to wake up to what's within us and reclaim it, then bring it out to enlighten the human race. The major problem with most religions today is all the politics and dogma - systems of control and fear. Those are not divine, those are man-made, and we focus far too much on those things and not on ourselves. Because of that focus, we end up going backwards rather than forwards in terms of our spiritual growth. If the spirit isn't sufficiently nurtured, we don't realize our Oneness, and we create schisms as seen in the world today.

We can't survive without spirituality.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx

Originally posted by Buddha1098

Without any disrespect meant, speak for yourself.

If it helped you better yourself, that's great. However, don't assume it's the only way anyone can "Get over their selfishness". Many other ways are possible, such as developing empathy instead of developing spirituality. You may speak about what works for yourself, but even in the guise of 'opinion', it's not really anyone's place to declare what works for others as well.

You're statement implies that all non-spiritual people are dominated by their selfishness. That's false.

~
Again, not doubting that route worked for you, or condemning that you choose that route. I'm just saying, it's never good to assume that what works for you is the only thing that works for anybody else either.

No disrespect taken my friend.

I didn't mean to imply that all non-spiritual people are dominated by selfishness, only the ones I interact with. I apologize.

I agree with you it isn't my place to say what works for others either.

Thanks for the Rebuke!

edit on 25-3-2012 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Wait...

Hungover?

Buddha drinks?

CX

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Was christened and went to a C of E school.

Went to "Sunday School", whish basicaly meant an hour of being bored to death with stories from the bible, followed by an hour of skidding up and down the polished church floors in my Sunday best trousers

Spent 9 years in the forces where you had little choice but to attend church, it was a parade and if you refused you got done for it unless you had a majorly good reason for it.

Then as an adult who liked to question things ,and who had seen more than a guy should by my age, i just seemed to start believing in me and my fellow man, rather than some made up thing you can't see. I like to have proof with certain things in my lifem especialy if i am expected to live my life by them or bring my kids up with these values.

I decided i didn't agree with being told i couldn't do this and that by something that no-one had any proof of. Hell, i even respectfuly asked a dozen or so vicars if they could actualy prove the existance of God, and they admitted they could not.

Sorry, i've seen too many people put so much faith into something that just lets them down time and time again, and have seen many people so deluded that when the slightest thing goes right, it's "God's doing".

Prime example. My dad had a brain tumour, his partner starts informing us every five seconds that her prayer group was praying for him. He had an operation to remove it, it was sucessful. To certain people though, it was "God's doing" and the prayers that saved him.....was it my ass! if he hadn't had it cut out that day he would have died...fact!

Thats just one example. I guess the biggest example though would be my village church. Many go there on a Sunday and claim to be holier than though, and are the worst people on the planet for the rest of the week. That includes my own mother who as "born again Christian" seems to have found the church again, but has forgotten how to stop being a seriously bitter and twisted person who pisses off everyone she is in contact with.

So i guess many reasons have turned me away from my initial start as a Christian, but mainly the hypocracy of most people involved in religion.

CX.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentThundersGF
It was something I had to un-learn. lol.

Actually I have a curious feeling about religion. I do not believe in it, but I believe it serves an evolutionary purpose, as a kind of survival mecahanism. So even if it is not "true," it is not "bad" either. Does that make sense?

Like everything else knowlegde is meant to evolve. Religon is teaching from spiritual teachers and a way to explain everything just like science. The problem now is that some religon (Judaism, Christianety, Islam) have become fundamentalistic and people will not stand against prejudice/unholyness in the religon because of traditions. If it is not devine and of love or lesson the why follow it? Just because we have followed it for a long time? Talk about not wanting to change and create heaven on earth. The only line in the bible that is needed to find god and knowledge is below.

>
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

It might take long time. But in the end you will find your answer if you keep seeking the thruth behind everything within yourself.

Whatever view/path you choose to take will lead you to god in the end if you truely seek and follow your intuition.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I think you're arguing (for lack of a better word) that the violence is learned and perhaps that's true. My argument is that the selfishness is Innate. If you dropped that baby in monastery with a group of enlightened beings it may not learn violence but it will have to unlearn selfishness.

Plus babies are evil. =)

www.cracked.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Right...

Babies are evil...

hahaha...

I've never had one so i wouldn't know... Im scared of babies actually...

I seem to think they're breakable...

And i've seen what they can do to their parents so... maybe they are

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
If you believe in 'god' then it's something you feel and know not something you learn. Did someone teach you to breathe?

Religion was developed by man as a tool to control man. (it's a scam in other words.
)

How do buddism control man? Just because Christianety and Islam is controling and build power pyramids of parasitic egoistical behaviour (that shows that they are really satanist more than followers of Christ/the devine since Christ wants you to lose your ego and Satan is an angel with ego that thinks he is right and he should rule and everybody else is wrong).

From my point of view all spiritual teachning at their core (even Christianety and Islam) seem to say the same thing. Lose you parasitic ego. Try to be humble and loving. Try to avoid duality. Every religon can make you temporarely drop your ego. I do not care what road/view people take. It is that they arrive that is important.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

lol Yeah babies grow up to be parents one day..

Anyways great talking with you

Have a great day!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join