It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality Is An illusion Taking Place Inside Our Brains And Nowhere Else

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Nothing is as it appears,because our eyes dont see anything,all sensory perceptions are taking place within our brains and nowhere else and so everything is an illusion...

Long ago,the earth was hijacked by evil forces and humanity was enslaved by evil and tptb are posessed by those malevolent,interdimensional beings...

They both are implicitly involved in keeping the vast majority of us intranced by greed and materialism and as far away from reality as possible,never realizing the horrible truth...
edit on 3-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

TPTB are all in your mind.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Everything exists within our minds and nowhere else...

Every mountain,every tree and every cloud,every insect,every animal and every person,every planet, every star and the entire universe,are all parts of this magnificent illusion...

Inflowing signals of light are received by our eyes,sending those photon impulses through our optic nerves and inside our brains...

Continuously arranging and constructing those electrical waves into comfortable and compatible images, fabricating this earth and forming this life we think and want to believe is our true reality,which doesnt even really exist...
edit on 4-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Nothing exists. Existence only appears to exist. The illusion cannot be grasped, this moment has changed, morphed into a different configuration.
Only that which knows this is real.
edit on 4-6-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Everything exists within our minds and nowhere else...

Every mountain,every tree and every cloud,every insect,every animal and every person,every planet, every star and the entire universe,are all parts of this magnificent illusion...

Inflowing signals of light are received by our eyes,sending those photon impulses through our optic nerves and inside our brains...

Continuously arranging and constructing those electrical waves into comfortable and compatible images, fabricating this earth and forming this life we think and want to believe is our true reality,which doesnt even really exist...
edit on 4-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Repetition doesn't make your words any more or less true or false.

Reality exists as a signal that enters our mind and upon further inspection by our mind proves to be persistent over time. This means it exists somewhere. So if I leave a cup on the table and return in an hour, the cup is still there. If I observe the sun, I will see that it comes up and goes down daily in a predictable way. If I examine my brain and can see the display light up in a particular way in response to a certain thought then this lends persistence to the presence of my thoughts in the domain of the signals. So, for whatever reason, the signals are telling me that I exist in them. This reality acknowledges and reacts to my presence. The interaction is mutual. I'm not sure what this means. In other words, it could mean a lot of things. Maybe the signals are created by my own mind and my mind has, in some way, created a believable dream. Or maybe this reality exists outside my mind yet they both interact intimately. Either way, my own mind cannot conclusively prove whether I have solely created this reality or it genuinely exists outside me. Any evidence I use is coming from the signals and if they cannot be set apart from me then nothing is certain.

I do have one question. Why would the signals "desire" to tell me that they're apart from me? Because if I trust the signals then they're saying that my input ports are my ears (hearing), my nose (smelling), my eyes (seeing), my skin (touching), my mouth (tasting). My output ports are my moveable parts and my skin and hair. The signals say that I am a body with 2 legs and 2 arms and so on. They say that reality exists outside me but that I also happen to exist inside that same reality. Should I trust the signals or are they instead a byproduct somehow of my own desire to be separate and identifiable from the noise around me? Is it any different from a dream? In a dream I also have a body. I'm usually younger or better looking in my dreams, but I am also uniquely identifiable. The implication is that where there's a mind there's a body of some sort - a separate thing to distinguish itself from the energy surrounding it. Or maybe dreams are just a carry-over from reality. So since I have a body in reality then my dreams will also have one because dreams are derived from reality. (In my own opinion, dreams are a simulation of reality to learn even when we sleep.)

Without a body how could we be in a discrete location in reality? How could we interact without a body? How could reality interact with us if there's nothing to interact with? These questions are sort of subjective and could be answered in different ways, sure. But could there be a reason that a mind needs a body? Even if that body is merely a set of code that has inputs and outputs connected with reality, isn't that still conceptually a body? A body is input and output connected to reality...

Note: I program as a hobby, so this is coming from that perspective.
edit on 4-6-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Nothing is as it appears,because our eyes dont see anything,all sensory perceptions are taking place within our brains and nowhere else and so everything is an illusion...

I disagree. Could the brain feel without the skin? Could it see without the eyes? Could it hear without the ears? Could the brain survive without the skull? No it cannot, because not all sensory perceptions are taking place within our brains.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
As I have pointed out already:

In philosophy, the brain in a vat is an element used in a variety of thought experiments intended to draw out certain features of our ideas of knowledge, reality, truth, mind, and meaning. It is drawn from the idea, common to many science fiction stories, that a mad scientist, machine or other entity might remove a person's brain from the body, suspend it in a vat of life-sustaining liquid, and connect its neurons by wires to a supercomputer which would provide it with electrical impulses identical to those the brain normally receives. According to such stories, the computer would then be simulating reality (including appropriate responses to the brain's own output) and the person with the "disembodied" brain would continue to have perfectly normal conscious experiences without these being related to objects or events in the real world.

en.wikipedia.org...

Just because "I" "feel" does not prove that there is an "I" or a "feel".

You can not ask a liar if they are telling the truth, and expect a factual answer. Just as I can't ask myself if I am real. If I am fake, then the question itself is fake as well as the brain I am asking it to.

All well, at least the thread finally decided to agree with what I was saying way back in the early pages...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Its so very simple,yet incredibly profound,realizing and understanding that our eyes are not capable of sight,they dont see anything,they are nothing but light receptors,all vision is taking place within our brains and so is our senses of taste,touch,hearing and smell all happening inside our brains and nowhere else,proving beyond all shadows of doubt that we are not able to perceive reality the way it actually exists and so everything for you and i,is an illusion,comfortable and compatible simulations fabricated by our minds...

edit on 5-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

And a photograph is just an illusion, formed in the mind of the camera? Film is alive and conscious?

A tree falls because it peceives the illusion that it was cut through by a chainsaw?

Again bloc, what is there to stop you from walking through a solid wall?

Why does a rock falling to the ground stop falling? Does it perceive the illusion as well?

Do you have answers or just perhaps a quote from Woody Allen?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Amazingly,our skin isnt feeling anything,its just a receptor,just like our eyes are light receptors. Sensations of touch and sight are taking place within our brains,as well as our senses of hearing, tasting and smelling,which are also only receptors and those senses are also formulated and happening within our brains and nowhere else...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DenyObfuscation
reply to post by blocula

Again bloc, what is there to stop you from walking through a solid wall?

The repelling effects of electron resistance is the major reason why we cant walk through a wall,well actually,we could,but very painfully...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Our skin isnt feeling anything,its just a receptor,just like our eyes are light receptors.Sensations of touch and sight are taking place within our brains,as well as our senses of hearing,tasting and smelling,which are also formulated and happening within our brains and nowhere else...

You're saying the mind can feel without the skin, and the mind can see without eyes. This indemonstrable assertion, void of any evidence, goes against anything that is apparent and obvious. There is a medical term for this—its called delusion.

Even in dreams, where senses have the least affect on thought, the brain needs the body to survive. It needs oxygen. It needs a skull. It needs a beating heart. These things are not some trick of the mind, but reality.

This is, in my opinion, a dangerous philosophy, and does a great injustice to life and nature.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

The repelling effects of electron resistance is the major reason why we cant walk through a wall,well actually,we could,but very painfully...

Why painfully? The wall only exists in your mind right? Is that not what you're saying here?

and those senses are also formulated and happening within our brains and nowhere else...

Sure seems as though you deny the existence of the wall so why the pain?

Amazingly,our skin isnt feeling anything,its just a receptor

A receptor receives something. Your brain isn't just "making it up" when you feel something. There is something there that triggers the impulse to your brain.

It's just like with light, it must reflect from something to your eyes in order to perceive that something.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

The wall is real,but only in the way that our brains formulate and convince us it is,we are unable to perceive of the wall the way it really is,we cannot see,hear,taste,touch or smell the wall in the state it actually exists and so the way that our brains tell us to think about and interact with the wall,are illusions,not reality...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Another words, our reality around us is virtual.

We define something as virtual when it's not experienced DIRECTLY by our senses. If, for example, you speak to someone in a telephone and listen to them as they speak to you through the receiver, then you're in fact having a virtual conversation because it's not in-person. This is because you're not speaking directly to that person in the flesh. For all you know, that person could be a computer-generated voice or it could be on the other side of the universe or in another one. Reality becomes virtual when it's not DIRECTLY taken from the source and not interacted with DIRECTLY.

The problem is that if all of reality is a signal entering our mind (via our 5 inputs: eyes, nose, ears, etc) and we interact with it by sending signals from our mind then reality is virtual. This is because if our mind cannot DIRECTLY interact or recieve then the reality we experience could be anywhere or anytime or anything. In fact, the reality we interface with might not even be real.

Our Brain Reality

The represents a multi-directional communications line or signal path. It's the pathway between our brain and reality that allows us to receive and to send signals.

Our brain cannot directly experience reality and therefore it cannot determine its authenticity. All it can do is make relational judgments given the information fed to it via the signal receptors.

Describing the internet as virtual is not a fundamental description, it's just a label. This is because our actual reality can be described as virtual too. Thus, the term is sort of relative.

The only thing not virtual is the "I" itself. Everything outside the mind is virtual since it has to be communicated. The "I" is supposed to exist inside several pounds of watery brain matter suspended in cerebral fluid. But the "several pounds of..." is virtual because it's only seen in the signals.

If "I" is virtual then nothing is completely real. If the "I" can be described as a signal pathway then it cannot be directly experienced and therefore is virtual. If this is true, everything is suspect.

Having said all that...

I still think reality is the most real thing I'm aware of. But it's virtual, not 100% real. That doesn't matter much, though. Until I see something more real than reality, who cares? By "real" I don't mean 100% real. And what I REALLY mean is its persistence and complexity is unparalleled. My dreams have been awesome at times, but they're not comparable. Neither was my best moment as a christian. Nothing that I know of can compare to the vastness and diversity of the "real" world.

Sometimes the "realness" of reality can be frightening or repulsive. Maybe that's why we create less real realities. Some people call it "escape". But is reality an escape too? Who knows? What I do know is that strong people generally do not try to escape. Weaker people might be inclined to escape more than them. Thus, maybe different realities exist so that all mind can have an outlet.

Are some people so strong that they try to find more real realities than reality?
edit on 5-6-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Just like our eyes dont see anything,our skin doesnt feel anything either,they and our other senses of hearing,tasting and smelling are only receptors,the sounds we think we are hearing,the odors we think we are smelling,the tastes we think we are tasting,the sensations of touch we think we are touching and the sights we think we are seeing are realized and taking place inside our brains, nowhere else...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

A very fascinating link that i highly recommend everyone take a few minutes and read...

Simulated Reality > en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Our eyes dont see anything,they are not capable of sight,they are only light receptors...

Comprehending that means we must understand how our vision works...

Photons of light enter into our Cornea...

Then the light passes through the dilating colored Pupil and into and through the Lens of our eyes...

The Lens refracts the light upon a light sensitive tissue called the Retina,which receives those photon impulses...

Then the Macula processes those photon impulses that are then collected by our Optic Nerves,electrical cables transmitting that information into our brains...

Our brains then combine those electrical impulses into composite neural images...

Our brains interpret reality by fabricating comfortable images that are compatible with itself and those images are not what reality really looks like...

Most of the electromagnetic spectrum,most of whatever reality actually might be,exists outside of the ability of our five senses and is perhaps beyond our comprehension as well...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Why does a photo look like what we see? Does a camera

interpret reality by fabricating comfortable images that are compatible with itself
???

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
where else would it take place ?

lol

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join