It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debris prompts space station crew to seek shelter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Debris prompts space station crew to seek shelter

au.news.yahoo.com

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - A passing piece of potentially dangerous space debris forced astronauts at the International Space Station to temporarily seek refuge in escape ships early on Saturday, U.S. officials said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Well, you would have thought they would have seen this coming a long time ago?

I would be in that escape capsule quick smart!! I have seen what happens in space when decompression happens........I've seen plenty of 90's space films! Joke. Splat!

Apparantly it was the third time this has happened, it would be enough to give you the creeps for sure hey?

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Here is what NASA says about being stranded naked in space; don't hold your breath...

Human body in vacuum

If you don't try to hold your breath, exposure to space for half a minute or so is unlikely to produce permanent injury. Holding your breath is likely to damage your lungs, something scuba divers have to watch out for when ascending, and you'll have eardrum trouble if your Eustachian tubes are badly plugged up, but theory predicts -- and animal experiments confirm -- that otherwise, exposure to vacuum causes no immediate injury. You do not explode. Your blood does not boil. You do not freeze. You do not instantly lose consciousness.

Various minor problems (sunburn, possibly "the bends", certainly some [mild, reversible, painless] swelling of skin and underlying tissue) start after ten seconds or so. At some point you lose consciousness from lack of oxygen. Injuries accumulate. After perhaps one or two minutes, you're dying. The limits are not really known.

Not quite the image we are lead to believe...

That said, when we heard the news tonight, we laughed, after it was said the debris passed at 23 kilometers from the station... But being told it may happen must be playing on your nerves for sure.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Ha! Nice one.........I didn't know that?! I thought you instantly boiled and then exploded!! ha! Even so, when you get the "guess what guy's" radio call, I can imagine all kinds of thoughts shoot through your mind.........or spacecraft?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Surprised this doesn't happen more often.......

Its not a big a sky as we think; I believe there is over 800 satellites in space and God knows how much space "junk".

top topics

join