It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Intentionally Pricing Out the Poor from Driving

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Ok so I have done a little bit of research on how much Mr average earns and pays to drive a car in the UK, for the sake of legibility I will list values I need to illustrate my point and later on I will list all sources of information for those of you that want to check up on my figures.

Ok the easy bit.

The median earner in the UK is currently £26,100

of which £3725 of that will be paid to income tax as of April 2012

and also £2265 in National Insurance

Meaning Mr Average takes home £20,110 per annum.
..................................................................................................
Mr Averages Car

In the UK the most bought car last year was a Ford Fiesta, I have selected an economical middle of the range vehicle for illustration purposes.

Ford Fiesta Style 1.4 TDCi 5 Door

Total Price = £12,395

Value Added Tax (V.A.T.) paid = £2479

Service Cost £214 per 10,000 miles of which is V.A.T. £42.80

Vehcile Road Tax = £20 per year

Miles Per Gallon = 68.9mpg

Mr Averages average mileage per year in the UK = 12,000 miles
..........................................................................................................

Car Insurance, now this is a difficult one to put a number on because there are so many variables but there is an average price available of which I will use.

Average UK Insurance Premium = £921 per year
UK insurance premium tax = 6%
Insurance premium V.A.T. payable

V.A.T. Paid £184.20
Insurance Premium tax Paid = £44.20
................................................................................................................
Price of Diesel in the UK

1 Litre UK average = £1.4972 (Taking into account the 3 pence increase in this years budget)

Of Which

V.A.T. = £0.25
Fuel Duty = £0.60

1 imperial gallon = 4.54609188 litres

Now for the number crunching, I am going to assume that an individual person keeps a car for 5 years before it is pretty much worthless and I am going to calculate all sums expediated to that point.

In a 5 year period Mr average in the UK will earn £130,500

The Government will take at source £18,625 in income tax and £11,325 in National Insurance

Leaving you with a take home pay over 5 years of £100,550

Your Car will cost you

Purchase £12,395 (V.A.T. £2479)
Servicing £1284 (V.A.T. £256.80)
Vehicle Road Tax = £100
Fuel £5827.20 (@£6.80 per gallon = 3971 litres/year = £2421.11 in fuel Duty and £992.75 in V.A.T.)
Insurance £4605 (Insurance premium tax = £221 and V.A.T. = £921

Leaving you with a total cost of running your car over a 5 year period of an eye watering £24,211.20 before you have even paid for any repairs or even to live. What is even more astounding is of that total the government rakes £7391.66 in taxes.

Interesting statistics for Mr Average pays 24.07%% of his take home pay to run his car

Mr Average pays a total share of tax for running his car at 30.52%

Lets bear in mind that the UK average Mortgage/rent = about 50% of salary, that is 75% of Mr averages salary eaten up by home and car alone. No wonder nobody can afford to live in the UK anymore. The government are purposely keeping the poor down in order to control us.

Here is my list of info sources

www.ons.gov.uk...

www.moneysavingexpert.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...#/?picture=379952153&index=0

www.config.ford.co.uk...

miltonkeynescarservice.co.uk...

carfueldata.direct.gov.uk...

www.car-insurance-information.org...

www.petrolprices.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.theaa.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

edit on 24-3-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Star & Flag on a well researched thread.

I hate G Men

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Now for the number crunching, I am going to assume that an individual person keeps a car for 5 years before it is pretty much worthless and I am going to calculate all sums expediated to that point.

Driving 12,000 miles per year and selling a car after five years you would be selling your car at 60k miles. One of my cars has 140k on it and runs like a top. Mr. Average doesn't need to buy a new car. Especially not every 5 years. Some of the more wealthy people I know (multi millionaires) drive the same car for 10 years and buy used.

Driving is a privilege not a right. If you can't afford the car, don't buy it.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

hi op

i started to feel sick realizing when you said this does not include living costs
this is like motoring in the beginning, a well off persons carriage..
my goodness this government is legally raping us all

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Of course you can drive your car for longer I am just trying to gague the average person. As for it being a privelidge, well maybe but many people could not get to their jobs if they had no car and not everybody can find a suitable job close to home.

However I think you are missing the point, this is not about merits or really what figures you would like to modify in my figures, this is about an example of how much the government is piling on the motorist in the UK and how much people's disposable income is vanishing because of.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Yeah I know mate and what makes it even more sickening is that most of my friends are paid a lot less than the official median of £26,100. More like £15,000, imagine what it is like for them.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

You all had no problems when the government started financially raping smokers. Why should you protest when the government starts raping motorists. Less drivers = less obesity = less environmental impact = less taxes to build and repair roads!

Don't you just love it when the government uses taxes for the purpose of social engineering and to control our behavior "for our own good"!

But as a smoker, all I can say is "what is good for the gander, is good for the goose"

HA HA HA HA

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Good thread i was talking with my friend about this yesterday.I think they are trying to make people use public transport and meet their carbon emissions targets.They put duty on fuel relentlessly they stopped when the refineries were blockaded by truckkers years ago but soon resumed the fuel duty rises.1.3 million drivers have given up drivng in 12 months a report said last year, more will follow.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Good

When did we say "do as we do" , no........do as we say !!!

How dare you common folk have enough money to eat out
Go to the movies or theatre, to go on holiday, to be able to do and consume the things that only the powerfull and rich used to be able to do HOW DARE YOU THINK YOUR ENTITLED TO THE SAME AS US !!

You are to be kept poor, imprisoned in your homes through poverty, stuck to the tv because you can't afford to do anything else where we can control what you are exposed to

So we can live in the garden of Eden

Bloody slaves

*end impersonation*

S&F

edit on 24-3-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

edit on 24-3-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Driving is a privilege not a right. If you can't afford the car, don't buy it.

is walking a privilege too. or visiting your family. driving is not a privilege. it is a mode of transportation.

the freedom to travel freely is a right. the method you use is irrelevant, if i use my feet or a car, that right cannot regulated by or taken away by any government that claims to be free.

edit on 24-3-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by INQUISITION11

I actually agree that is probably what they hope to achieve out of this however they have gone about it arse about face so to speak. The alternative infrastructure needs to be in place first before people can give up their cars. We have the highest train fairs in europe, the most congested rail lines in europe, the most uncomfortable trains in europe and one of the most unreliable. Man we suck at trains, busses are not much better either. We are being left with no choice but to either pay the majority of our saleries out on transport and housing or sit at home on the dole, I do not see many alternatives at the moment for some families.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Bush started the Ethanol Program to make food more expensive around the world. I think it was intended to be a boot on the neck of the emerging economies especially China.

The idea being it will make the New World Order easier to implement if other countries are more impotent economically. If China and the other emerging economies are able to take off economically, forget western domination. So it seems like we are at the do or die moment when the Elites either fullly get the NWO wrapped up, or else game over.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Well I think just about every court in the WORLD would agree that driving is a privilege and not a right. Are you automatically allowed to drive when you're born? Do you have to be a certain age? Do you have to pass a test? Do you need a license?

I see what you're going for OP but I think that your numbers (at least those about purchasing a vehicle) are pretty skewed. I also wonder if you are suggesting that people who earn more should pay more for the exact same privilege as someone else. Should I pay more because my car was more expensive?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by randomname

Well I think just about every court in the WORLD would agree that driving is a privilege and not a right. Are you automatically allowed to drive when you're born? Do you have to be a certain age? Do you have to pass a test? Do you need a license?

I see what you're going for OP but I think that your numbers (at least those about purchasing a vehicle) are pretty skewed. I also wonder if you are suggesting that people who earn more should pay more for the exact same privilege as someone else. Should I pay more because my car was more expensive?

You do pay more if your car is more expensive in V.A.T. terms and certainly if it is a gas guzzler but no I do not wish the richer to pay more. I am one for a simple flat rate tax for all with no hidden nasties myself. The only purpose of this thread was to highlight how driving is becoming more and more of a privilidge for the better off as the days go by. I actually think it would be a big step backwards if normal people lose their mobility again, it would damage the economy and damage society. The wealth gap is certainly growning but so is poverty too, we are in a big mess, have no answers just a lot of questions.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I don't see where the intentionality comes in ? "UK Intentionally Pricing Out the Poor" etc etc.

I accept the premise that the cost of motoring is increasing. But I don't see any proof that it's a deliberate attempt by government to force poor people off the road.

Too often in UK-land, people equate poverty, limited/embarrassed means with welfare/social security, the working classes and potential (or often disnfranchised) "Labour voters".

My limited experience here is quite the contrary ... the social security system in UK is so perverted, it actively encourages people not to work, it promotes reckless lifestyles. And the ones most disadvantaged are "traditional conservative/government voters" on modest incomes, the middle classes, often in rural areas, frequently retirees, people with little or no public transport provision, people who've saved too much ... consequently they qualify for little if any state help.

Why would the government intentionally compel their own poorer supporters off the road ?

That doesn't make sense, OP. Where's the intentionality ? And who do YOU define as poor ?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Aside from the continued tax increases on motoring

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I have never kept a car less than fifteen years. And I usually buy cars that are at least fifteen years old. A five year old car is just getting broken in.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I cannot believe there is .85 pounds of tax and duty on one stinking little liter of gasoline!! In the immortal words of Bob Barker "That's too much!!!"

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

There's continued welfare increases too. In 2 weeks time, social security spending in UK rises by over 5%, with the annual uprate of welfare benefits.

"UK Intentionally Enabling the Poor to Drive by Increasing Welfare" ?????

I don't the whole welfare=poor crap, incidentally. All to often, those on welfare get more than those employed or those who've scrimped and saved all their days.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
the average person should realize that buying cars new should be left to the rich and the stupid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join