It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Stars, Yet Removed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Hey guys, gals. I'm making this thread due to an observation that I made a few months back, and whilst reading a thread just a moment ago, the observation was realized as an issue to me.

Have you ever noticed, that comments bearing some of the most stars, have been censored? I question this, and it annoys me.

Why? Are we not mature enough to read something that obviously held sway in the argument? I realize that people post inane one liners, bashing races and/or whatever. I understand the logic in removing these posts. However, I know that any comment bearing that kind of content is highly unlikely to garner a significantly high number of stars on this website.

This is contradictory to the forum's slogan, "deny ignorance". We are capable of reading and writing, and the freedom to have your statement heard must be acknowledged.

This is my rant, the only one I will ever write.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanJP

The posts that are "censored" are ones that violated the Terms & Conditions. Good posts get stars just as much as nonsensical; joke or rude posts do.

I would like to point out that there is no censorship on ATS as there is no suggesting by the site owners or staff that there is to be freedom of speech here. You are required to post according to the terms and conditions.

Posts that do not conform to these are removed; you can tell the type of violation it was by the sticker involved in the post. Either Off Topic, Il-Mannered or Extreme Violation.

All posts are removed with staff consensus ( other than the ones that clearly violate the terms) and any member who has a post removed by contact any staff member to get an explanation or to challenge the removal.

However staff will never discuss somebody else's posts with another member. Those conversations are private and as you are responsible for your own posts; you should not worry about others.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Fair enough, I respect that. I guess I just wasn't putting much trust into the staff's convictions.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I would like to point out that there is no censorship on ATS as there is no suggesting by the site owners or staff that there is to be freedom of speech here.

That is so absurd, good joke though.
I hear the same crap in Germany when they censor movies and video games 'oh there isn't censorship, we just save people from content we think is bad for them'

Come on, we had so many Rants about the censorship on this site. Certain topics are downright banned and even if they are touched on in a discussion, the mods go ape# (Drugs for example, doesn't matter in what light they are discussed, there's sure to be at least one mod, either closing the topic or deleting posts)
Topics get closed with no real explanation, posts get deleted, users get banned and we aren't even allowed to talk about banned members or ask, why they got banned - especially if those were long-time users who had a load of stars, flags and applause suddenly getting banned for no reason. We aren't allowed to know the truth behind it.

Freedom of speech is something different, maybe you should look it up

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

I hear the same crap in Germany when they censor movies and video games 'oh there isn't censorship, we just save people from content we think is bad for them'

Again, you agreed to all of that when you signed up. Don't like it? Then you certainly may log out and not return.

Come on, we had so many Rants about the censorship on this site. Certain topics are downright banned and even if they are touched on in a discussion, the mods go ape# (Drugs for example, doesn't matter in what light they are discussed, there's sure to be at least one mod, either closing the topic or deleting posts)

Again, this is a private board. You do not get to set the rules, you get to follow them. There's a 0 tolerance drug policy here. Again if you don't like it, please visit one of the thousands of other boards dedicated to those topics.

Topics get closed with no real explanation, posts get deleted, users get banned and we aren't even allowed to talk about banned members or ask, why they got banned - especially if those were long-time users who had a load of stars, flags and applause suddenly getting banned for no reason. We aren't allowed to know the truth behind it.

Other members actions are none of your concern. Neither are their accounts or the reasons behind them being banned. They were ALL banned for violating the T&C in some form or another. There's the truth behind it.

They didn't agree to the forum rules and refused to abide by them.

Yup, that's exactly right, there is no freedom of speech on ATS. It's not to be expected, because it does not exist. It's really not all that difficult to understand.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

I should? I have seen the removals that you speak of.

I just think that we should be allowed to see for ourselves.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I would like to point out that there is no censorship on ATS as there is no suggesting by the site owners or staff that there is to be freedom of speech here.

There is no "Freedom of Speech" here and regardless "Freedom of Speech" does not apply to private sites or places you visit.

The issue of "Freedom of Speech" on ATS.

ATS Terms and Conditions of Use that everyone agreed to abide by when they chose to register here

edit on March 24th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

top topics

join