It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could I be suspended from college for this? Please help, I'm sorta freaking out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
A couple weeks back I was pulling into college and parked my car. As I was walking in, I saw a person pull out in the first row, and I parked all the way in the back. That day I had a bunch of things going on that I would need to go back and forth to my car. I kinda needed and really wanted that spot. So what I did was that I saw a cone nearby and ran and put it in the spot, then moved my car. Yes I admit it was a jerk move, but I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

I just got a letter in the mail from my college saying I need to "make a meeting to determine disciplinary actions" with a bunch of information about procedure and how I violated student codes of conduct and will have to make an appointment and I'm freaking out over it. Obviously I regret the decision I made, but didn't think it was a big deal. Could I be suspended for this?

I went through the legal guideline terms for "student conduct" and apparently I violated a very vague rule "disorderly, disruptive, obscene, or indecent conduct in college." No where specific is there a rule saying I cannot do what I did. I think the guy behind me complained or they had cameras. There was this jerky looking guy who gave me a dirty look after I pulled in. Anyway, I was thinking of having my dad come in with me since he's technically the owner of the car. It could work in my favor, plus the obvious intimidation factor. What do you think? All of this happened within the span of 3 minutes. It's not like I reserved it for half the day.
edit on 24-3-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

They probably won't do anything like suspend you, but they may put you on some form of probation or something. Just don't do anything else against their guidelines..

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Unless you are not telling us something, or this was not your first incident at your school, I highly doubt they are willing to forgo the thousands of dollars they are/will get from you over a parking lot incident.

Again, unless there are previous circumstances or you left out more pertinent info, I doubt you will be expelled. If thats the case and its a one time occurrence, you need to find a new school anyway, they are nazis if they expell you for moving a cone.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I highly doubt you will be suspended but that was a jerk move. If I had seen you do it I would have reported you too. Or just taken your spot. Just wear a suit and be respectful and yeah take your Dad. You better cut out the not a big deal attitude. While its not it comes across as arrogant.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I had a letter like that sent to me once last year in college. It was for smoking weed in the dorms. Stupid I know. But all I had to do was attend a n educational seminar and write an essay or two to the Dean. And i was put on disciplinary probation. So if that's all i got for smoking weed, then you should be fine, trust me. You usually get like a couple chances. Like 3 strikes, you're out type of deal. Don't sweat it.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Yikes... I'd have your Dad come in if he's available as a witness to what is said and done, if nothing else at all. Anything more is a bonus. My college has cameras and there are similar things which would be an issue if I did that with a cone to claim a parking spot.

The thing is...it would take an active complaint and one the guy was willing to actually push beyond a passing complaint to security. I think I'd get an Email or nasty note if they simply watched a stunt like that on a camera where I'm at.

I may be all wrong, but for such a formal thing to be made over a parking spot and a cone stunt sounds like the other guy decided to make a fight of it. You may want to just think it all through and the best way to present things... Heck..

You may even want to spend a bit of time writing out your side... diagrams.. whatever. They're making a formal case out of a stupid thing. It may not hurt to put a sensible amount of energy into showing up over-prepared. It might put them off a little? Eeeek.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Just say that you thought it was some knucklehead fellow student playing a PRANK and you simply just moved it out of the way and took advantage of the parking space. UNLESS they saw you put it there in the first place, then say that it must be your twin brother playing pranks again...

Let them PROVE IT was you!!

edit on 24-3-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Maybe. The note said "she received a complaint and has to investigate" and that I have to attend an informal meeting. I was thinking showing up totally prepared and guns blazing (it's an analogy, relax) might help resolve this.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Could you be? Yes.
Should you be? No.
Will you be? Most probably not.

You definitely used school property to direct traffic away from a certain spot, which is illegal and in violation of the student code, no doubt. Well, while that may be an offense, it's an understandable one. You saw something that you wanted, you preserved it, and you took it. It was also quite the dick move. However, that's all forgivable. Right now you need to focus on your sincerity in your apology so not to piss of the judiciary board. It's all up to them in the end. Apologize, but don't grovel, however don't be arrogant. Be sincere.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Here's the letter, personal info and info that could identify the school grayed out:

Larger

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Sometimes people do dumb things without thinking.
This sounds like one of those instances.

Show up at the meeting, take responsibility for what happened, and the School will most likely respect the fact that you were honest about it.

Then... move on with your life.

...I've been through similar things in the past (once, last year, where I failed to follow a pretty important policy at my workplace - not through any malicious reason, but just... wasn't thinking), and being honest and taking whatever consequence comes is always the best approach. It minimizes the consequence, maximizes the opportunity for you (and everyone else involved) to move on with your lives, and gets it over with as quickly and painlessly as possible.

I'd say in this case a suspension is pretty unlikely. A rap over the knuckles, maybe, but suspension? Nah.

Good luck with it all. Let us know how it goes!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Am I not getting something here?

So you see a nice parking space, you slap a cone there quick, grab your car and park there.

How in the blue hell is this a situation that requires disciplinary action or can it be considered a "jerk" move? The space was an open parking space, no? That the hell is the big idea?

I could understand if someone left their keys in and you moved their car, or you double parked, or you parked a car in, but I'm not getting why this was a bad thing. A sign of American laziness? Maybe, but since when the hell was that a jerk move or against education codes?

What if a friend would have stood in the spot and held it for a minute? Would it have still been a jerk move? Would it have been troublesome then? Is the cone to blame?

I do not understand this whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
You pulled a jerk move, man up and take your punishment. I seriously doubt it will include being suspended from school. The "Right" will go ape crap on this one and encourage you to do all kinds of stupid stuff, just accept personal responsibility, isn't that what the "Right" pushes. Honestly, this is really a bull feces kind of thing, and doesn't really belong on a conspiracy site.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
hahah good move...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
You need to apologize and let them know you see where you made a mistake. Contrition is the best way to go.
On the other hand.....I am surprised any school would have time to deal with something like this. Isn't what you did very orderly? In Chicago reserving spots is a necessary skill and a respected tradition. You could get some research on the Chicago phenomenon of parking space reserving and use that in defense of your imaginative and orderly action.
edit on 3/24/2012 by Missing Blue Sky because: (no reason given)

By the way, leaving the name of the person who signed the letter on there, it is very easy to see where you go to school. You might want to edit that out for your own privacy.

The more I think about this, the more I think you did the industrious, clever and smart thing by saving the spot.
edit on 3/24/2012 by Missing Blue Sky because: addendum

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Obviously I regret the decision I made, but didn't think it was a big deal. Could I be suspended for this?

Academia has its own set of rules and codes of conduct. It is pointless to challenge these rules and codes of conduct. If you want to ensure you remain a student at this school then keep the "I regret the decision I made" but lose the "I didn't think it was a big deal". When you go to this meeting, try this:

"You are right, I am wrong. I couldn't have been more wrong. I understand there is no excuse for my thoughtless and self centered behavior but I have been so stressed out over exams and study that I haven't really been myself the past few weeks. Again, I understand this does not excuse my behavior, I only ask that you have mercy on me and allow me to make this right."

It may be a lot of sycophantic gibberish, or may not be, but if your goal is to survive this college experience, then say what must be said to rectify the problem and save your standing, then follow through and avoid making the same mistake again.

The other option, of course, is to challenge their rules of conduct, but is this really a battle worth fighting?

Pick your battles prudently.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I would say, your consequences would not likely be suspension, but perhaps you could come to the meeting with an idea of what you think would be suitable to make amends, kind of like doing community service work for say four hours (like pick up litter on the parking lots).

Tell them you are sorry and you know is was sneaky and out of line. Tell them how you feel about yourself for doing this. Maybe you should think to yourself why doing something like this and getting away with it could lead to unethical behavior in the future. It looks like something terrible, but if it helps you to grow, ultimately it is for the best.

Live and learn.
Good luck.

Regarding the poster who got a tiny bust for pot. My son knows a kid who was arrested by a school cop on a bike for smoking weed on campus. I imagine each school weighs things differently. He is going to a state university and it looks like they treated it as they would if it was done by anyone off campus.

edit on 3/24/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I seriously don't know what this world is coming too.

For a few moments you placed a road cone in a parking spot so that you could park your car closer. If you had a mate in the car, I am sure you would have told him to get out and hold the spot for you. I have seen this happen before - ain't going run them over just for a park. It is no different to holding a set for a mate in a movie theatre.

This wouldn't happen in my own county - too trivial to go to length and hold a meeting.

edit on 24-3-2012 by DonaldD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The letter is a template they use for every student conduct problem, more than likely. Should be somewhat helpful to know. You'd get that for the most basic "problems" or more difficult problems. The letter will be the most serious part of the process I'd figure. Having a parking cone block a spot as the student conduct issue will probably be a relief to the person reviewing the matter, compared to what they do get.

If you really think you might get suspended over this, you must be going to a community college.

Kidding!!...but no really.

edit on 25-3-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1
If you really think you might get suspended over this, you must be going to a community college.

Kidding!!...but no really.

edit on 25-3-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

Funny you said that because I actually am going to a community college. I have the grades to go to a 4 year, but a community college is much cheaper, not to mention its less than a 10 minute drive from my house. But still, the last thing I want is a blemish on my transcript for when I go to transfer.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join