It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the world NEEDS The Hunger Games

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I read all three books. The movie, like someone said, was a litlle underwhelming, but that is pretty normal when you've read the book first.

The mesage is multifaceted and a good one. The book and movie is NOT about glorifying violence, it is about a prison system population, enslaved, manipulated by media, and tortured for the sake of the 1% poulation of "the Capitol". It's about living in such fear that no one disobeys, but then someone does.

The Hunger Games is only the first in a triology. The second and third really introduce the political and societal manipulations, upheavals and ramifications.

This is the 1984 of the 2000's. I do think it should be required reading for high schoolers. It teaches to think for ourselves, look deeper at what is manipulated around you....there's a lot to be discussed in this book.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

It's a little inconvenient that the true political chess game should be revealed in the second book, but that the first book is required to fully understand what's going on.

I'm glad someone sees what I see in this series.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

True, but this is how the timeline of the story unfolds. Those that only saw the movie, will feel a bit shorted.

That said, this is also about controlling society through forcing death on the children and food control.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Now more than ever, it feels as though Hollywood tends to place cinematic value over portraying the full political/philosophical scale. They put more effort into the special effects than into the expression of the societal mechanics.

That's why people are complaining, I think. They haven't yet realized the true nature of this film...as with all things.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I am actually really surpried that this is not a huge thread! There is just so much to this story. I guess that is why it is so popular, but still here on ATS, it's barely talked about.

ATS'rs should all read it, they would really get it.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Oh, you know how they are. The moment they sniff copypasta, they scoot away unless they either wanna hate on it or worship it.

Outside of the site, the media is all over it. They love this movie...in fact, it's the third highest engrossing box office hit of all time. The Dark Knight and Deathly Hallows Part 2 are its only historical contenders.

There's no doubt at all that Catching Fire will hit theaters within a few years.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

yeah people are trying to be cool by seeing conspiracy theories in something that popular and assuming because its popular it must be mass marketed bull.

and to GoGovicmorrow, yeah they have those aspects in similar. but to dismiss one as just a clone of the other without reading them BOTH is like me trying to tell how life is on mars from my experience on earth. doesn't really work.

yes similar aspects, nothings 100% unique everybody knows that. i could think of at least 10 other books it shares aspects with. but you can't dismiss something because it has something similar to something else or there would be no such thing as good reading if it wasn't written in the B.C. and if you want to compare it to a book, trust me its Lord of the Flies.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

It's funny. People usually love a hero who defeats the system. And the women should be all over this one, because the star is a girl.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
In my opinion, Battle Royale was crudely made. The Hunger Games is the more refined and educational version.

And I like Hunger Games more because both Katniss and Peeta, in the end, were ready to die rather than see the brutal game through to the finish. All they had to do was take one more life. Peeta offered to die for Katniss.

But she chose death over victory, and very nearly embraced it...for in a game of morals, where victory is criminal and loss is fatal, death is the ultimate freedom and triumph. She realized that, and Peeta did too. That's why I admire the Hunger Games.

They teach us not only who we really are, but how to make the hardest choices in life. It teaches us integrity and character.
edit on CMondaypm131338f38America/Chicago26 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
sounds like a good book/movie so i'll have to pick it up soon.

I heard about this film becuase of the racist comments it sparked. Dont know if you heard but some fans seem really dispaointed some of the characters were played by black actors.

You can see the casual racism in the twitter quotes on this website hungergamestweets.tumblr.com... .

Seems they didnt realise these characters were in fact dark skinned in the book too. Some of those comments are pretty disturbing.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 27-3-2012 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

This phenomenon is evidence of what I was saying earlier. This book is tween powered. Read by mostly people that never read books. They are wigging out. Imagine how these kids would have acted if they didn't know one of the characters in twilight was a different race than them? Suicide city.

Edit: After scoping the pictures, I guess the movie is tween powered too. It is the new twilight.
edit on 27-3-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by yeti101

This phenomenon is evidence of what I was saying earlier. This book is tween powered. Read by mostly people that never read books. They are wigging out. Imagine how these kids would have acted if they didn't know one of the characters in twilight was a different race than them? Suicide city.

Edit: After scoping the pictures, I guess the movie is tween powered too. It is the new twilight.
edit on 27-3-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

Why don't you go read the books. Your opinions are ill-formed, to say the least.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Are you incapable of discerning the political/philosophical playground that is embodied in this series?

Yes, it is easy learning for the younger peoples, but it is also highly educational for anyone who reads the book. The movie doesn't do as good a job of explaining it, but it certainly adds emotional toll to the mix!
edit on CTuesdaypm454512f12America/Chicago27 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I really don't think they are. I mean.. it's there for any and everyone to see in the theatre and no one has responded to my post listing the similarities between the two stories. They are striking to say the least.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

They aren't striking at all. They are nitpicking. They are comparing a few small negligible characteristics of both works and using them to make them out to be the same.

I just saw Hunger Games again today and once again, having witnessed them both and read The Hunger Games, I can say that the "similarities" that you use to call them the same are only relatively moot points in the entire scope of the story that is The Hunger Games Trilogy. I am addressing them right now. You, who haven't read the books, are in no position to make the comparison I am afraid.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

actually i did respond to your text about how theres a love affair in both, which since you didn't actually read hunger games is not close to being similar.

your other main highlighted point is that they both use backpacks?? with weapons. wow. two books that use backpacks? whats the chances?

if i remember right for hunger games, most of the backpacks actually containted things like food, camping stuff. Weapons were just left lying around at the beggining. no one is assigned there backpacks and at the start people just grab the weapons LYING AROUND and start using them

battle royale givse each character a backpack with a weapon in it and thats it..

so no, they don't both use backpacks with weapons in it. they just use backpacks similarily.

and those aren't your points, they're your articles points that you got from the internet. your talking about something you know nothing about having not read the books.

who cares that they both use backpacks man? what the hell does that have to do with making it a clone? even if it was a straight clone that still doesn't invalidate the message of a book. do you understand that? even battle royale wasn't original either.

every book has elements that have been used before. whats so hard to understand? everyone that compares the two are just watching the crappy hollywood movies. everyone thats saying they've got more differences than similarities have read the book.
edit on 27-3-2012 by Nephlim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
some of your other points,

one main character is 15. one is 16.
this one isn't even worth discussing. they'res a whole genre of fiction with this similarity..

they both use older mentor characters paired with younger main characters.
this is one of the most classic themes in literature. i'm having a hard time thinking of books without mentors.

they both have the number 50 in it.
its actually the 74th? hunger games. yes someone won the 50th one. someone also won the 39th, 42nd, 55th, 9th. etc etc. what other number similarites can we find with that?

one has a bow one has a crossbow in it.
okay?? so does almost every fantasy book i've read. lets not read into it to much. i got one too. i must be a battle royale clone with your logic.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Everyone is assuming I haven't read them. I have stated that I read BR, and I started to read Hunger Games, but I didn't like how it was written. The rest I had friends fill me in on.

The similarities are more than circumstantial.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Everyone is assuming I haven't read them. I have stated that I read BR, and I started to read Hunger Games, but I didn't like how it was written. The rest I had friends fill me in on.

No one cares how the freakin' books/movies are similar.

It's the message. Also, the fact that Katniss and Peeta refused to see the game through to the end, turning the standard procedure on its head.

Together, they forced a whole new take on the Hunger Games. In philosophical terms, they introduced a new perspective of the accepted system. BR was just action and suspense, and the whole game thing was a gimmick to sell tickets, nothing else. What's so hard to understand about this?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Now I really don't believe you. I have yet to meet someone that picked up the Hungar games, started to read it, and not finish it very quickly. You had friends fill you in? That is just silly. People that have read this book are trying to tell you it has a lot of message in it, you don't get the message from someone telling you the synopsis of the story. Just give it up already, if you haven't read the book(s), you don't really have an argumentative leg to stand on here.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join