It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Importance Of Truth And Belief

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
We've all heard the phrase "You can't handle the truth!" None of us have ever thought we were beyond the truth, unless we truly expected the worst. This question I am about to give you stems from the "Hellish truth or peaceful delusion" concept. The old catch-22.

Which is more important, more influential? Belief, or truth?

Let's start with truth. Truth is the purest form of information. No interpretation, no speculation, no gaps or loopholes. Just a straight, unbiased fact. Truth is when we see something for what it truly is. We are taught "truth" throughout school, at work, and in public. Truth fills conversations with prices (verifiable truths) work schedules (again, verifiable) and stock options (once again, verifiable). These truths do influence us, but is truth more important than belief?

Belief, quite simply, is perception. The way we see the world. It affects how we live, where we go, what we do or say, and how we feel. Perception filters every single aspect of our lives.

Let's explore deeper. How about...earthquakes. You have two different forms of information: a seismograph, and a victim. The seismograph relates data, the results of a machine analyzing the tremors of the quake. The graphical data and calculated charts employ math, the language of logic. There is no arguing with the numbers, which were obtained using tried-and-proven technology endorsed by hundred of scientists, not to mention directors and universities everywhere. Clearly, the information received from the readings, which never has a human hand involved except to translate the analysis, can only be fact.

The victim, on the other hand, was there. He/she felt the shaking of the ground, heard the crashes of the buildings, and experienced the fear as the entire world moved. This is perception/belief. How is this different from fact? Another person, ten feet down, can tell a whole different story. They saw different things, interpreted their emotions in a different way, and have a different overall understanding of the event. This is not fact ("truth"), as it is not only not verifiable that things transpired exactly as they "recall", but because the direct knowledge is not transferable. It can only be inefficiently converted and passed from mouth to ear.

My belief is that belief is more powerful than truth. Now that I have explained exactly what the two are, I will explain why I view it this way. Belief is what people see, and fact is what is proven. Many times throughout the day, you will see that which cannot be proven, but which you believe you witnessed. You can't turn around two days later and say, "Here's the evidence," but you know in your mind that you saw or did it. The truth of McDonald's has not deterred millions from eating there, but the belief of God has changed the lives of billions.

If you need more proof of what I'm saying, you may be thinking to yourself right now, "This person is wrong." You believe that, don't you? And your belief has affected how you view this thread. Your belief has influenced your personality by immediately excluding this concept from all consideration. You have filtered your perception through your belief. Is this not more efficient than fact? Fact affects what you know; belief affects how you perceive...and by extension, how you interact with the world around you.

There are some who say a half-truth is a lie. If you only know a small portion of how the world works...say, a fifth (optimistically) then doesn't that mean your perception of the world is a lie? But it doesn't matter, because your perception is all you can rely on. Perception is constant, but truth is inconvenient and often incomplete.

Simply put, fact is not always available. Belief, however, is universal. As they say: "Many times, you cannot convince a man of the truth; but you can nearly always make him believe a lie."

Namaste.

edit on CSaturdaypm111117f17America/Chicago24 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The truth about bacteria has saved more life than any god. Louis Pasteur has saved more life than sister Theresa. One day free and clean nearly infinite energy might save more life than any humanistic value.
"When people ask me what I think about religion, I answer them : it's nice, but when do they start?"

Philosophy and science are entangled. Science for example has told us that the truth is that we are the same species, despite relative differences between individuals.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gosseyn

I'm having some difficulty discerning your point. Could you clarify?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I thought it was pretty straight forward : you say belief is more powerful than truth, I am saying you're wrong.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Belief, quite simply, is perception. The way we see the world. It affects how we live, where we go, what we do or say, and how we feel. Perception filters every single aspect of our lives.

That one blurb says it all! Your beliefs get in the way of the truth because your beliefs are filtered by your perception, your take on things, and when your take on things is off-truth, you will deny the truth when it presents itself.

Sew with the old saying that you cannot handle the Truth, with most of you that is the Truth:

Most of you, when given the choice of Red Pill or Blue Pill, will choose the Red Pill, but afterwards you will wish you had taken the Blue Pill instead, just like Cypher, because the Truth isn't what you want it to be but that's because you have kNot been taught the Truth "throughout school, at work, and in public," you are taught what others THINK the Truth is or what they want it to be, just like with Evolution or Creationism. The answer to that one is Both & Neither but that goes against your Beliefs you hold dear as the Truth, when they are mistruths instead, sew you will continue to believe mistruths over the Truth because of your Beliefs that are filtered with perception, the most fickle of all human attributes.

What most of you don't realize is that everyone is Closed Minded but you THINK you're Open Minded and that's keeping you from seeing the real Truth that's been right under your nose your entire lives but you, as well as most everyone else, have your Beliefs fully in place and you will allow them to influence your thinking, instead of letting Logic Rule the Roost.

Next time you look in the mirror, be sure to say hello to Cypher for me.

Ribbit

Ps: Your Beliefs/Perceptions have corrupted your Logic as well.

edit on 24-3-2012 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by gosseyn
I thought it was pretty straight forward : you say belief is more powerful than truth, I am saying you're wrong.

Such is your belief. However, can you conclusively say, through analysis and numbers and proven calculations, that your belief is more accurate than mine?

This whole thread is an exchange of beliefs that will be defended by their respective users until their last breath. Yet you tell me truth is more powerful? There are more beliefs than truths in most of the threads on this forum. Opinions and thoughts do not count as truths, but as perceived facts. Beliefs.

And you tell me I'm wrong. Once again, such is your belief. I find the irony hilarious. On the other hand, I knew it was coming.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I will 2nd that!

Beliefs/Perception rule the roost over Logic, corrupting Logic, thus, leading to believing that which is kNot the Truth, which is also known as Opinion but most mistake Opinion for Truth.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

I will 2nd that!

Beliefs/Perception rule the roost over Logic, corrupting Logic, thus, leading to believing that which is kNot the Truth, which is also known as Opinion but most mistake Opinion for Truth.

Ribbit

Once again...this would be your belief, would it not? You have thus far used absolutely no fact as basis for your refuting arguments.

You in particular, Toad, tend to use your own opinions as though they are facts. It is for this reason I am chuckling as I read your response. Such irony!

You have all proven my point.

edit on CSaturdaypm303021f21America/Chicago24 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Such is your belief. However, can you conclusively say, through analysis and numbers and proven calculations, that your belief is more accurate than mine?

This whole thread is an exchange of beliefs that will be defended by their respective users until their last breath. Yet you tell me truth is more powerful? There are more beliefs than truths in most of the threads on this forum. Opinions and thoughts do not count as truths, but as perceived facts. Beliefs.

And you tell me I'm wrong. Once again, such is your belief. I find the irony hilarious. On the other hand, I knew it was coming.

I have no beliefs, just facts and from there, Logical Conclusions based on those facts, leaving perception out of the equation. That is what's known as the Truth, which is kNot what you think it is, which what you think is the Truth is based on Beliefs and they are n0thing short of Opinion because Beliefs are n0thing more than Opinions and while they may be based on facts, the facts they are based on are flawed, thus, they are kNot facts but fallacies.

As to what gosseyn said, they clearly said Beliefs are more powerful than the Truth but your perceptions got in the way and you were kNot able to see that, which proves they are correct and you are wrong.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I think the primary issue here is that we have all become so used to taking belief for fact, we have forgotten every opinion is merely belief unless accompanied by cold, hard evidence.

Unless you have irrefutable physical proof, which can be replicated at any given time provided you have the necessary tools, your objections to this thread are also opinions.

I am not saying you are wrong; I am saying that, in your attempts to invalidate by theory, you are inadvertently proving it. And I predict that you will continue to do so.

Prove me wrong, if you can. Provide facts. I will look forward to it.

Namaste

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

I will 2nd that!

Ribbit

Once again...this would be your belief, would it not? You have thus far used absolutely no fact as basis for your refuting arguments.

You in particular, Toad, tend to use your own opinions as though they are facts. It is for this reason I am chuckling as I read your response. Such irony!

You have all proven my point.

There you go allowing your perceptually driven beliefs to cloud the issue.

As to irony, you will sumday wake up and realize the truth has been right underneath your nose this entire time but you've allowed your perceptually driven beliefs to get in the way and to corrupt your Logic. Sew sad!

Ribbit

Ps: You prove your point by the Title of this thread alone. You clearly BELIEVE beliefs are important when they are perceptually driven and thus, prone to fallacy.

You are a closed minded fool!

edit on 24-3-2012 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I think the primary issue here is that we have all become so used to taking belief for fact, we have forgotten every opinion is merely belief unless accompanied by cold, hard evidence.

Unless you have irrefutable physical proof, which can be replicated at any given time provided you have the necessary tools, your objections to this thread are also opinions.

I am not saying you are wrong; I am saying that, in your attempts to invalidate by theory, you are inadvertently proving it. And I predict that you will continue to do so.

Prove me wrong, if you can. Provide facts. I will look forward to it.

Since your perceptually driven belief system has corrupted your logic to the point you cannot see anything but your own fallacies as the truth, I will take you up on your challenge.

Definition of Belief (noun):

1.An acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
2.Something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion or conviction.

Definition of Perception (noun):

1.The ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.
2.The state of being or process of becoming aware of something in such a way.

Definition of Truth (noun):

1.The quality or state of being true: "the truth of her accusation".
2.That which is true or in accordance with fact or reality: "tell me the truth".

On the first two, no where did the werd "truth" show up, sew beliefs and perception have n0thing to dew with the Truth, but they have everything to dew with keeping you from seeing the Truth.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

what is funny is that u define what truth is in meaning to advocate belief being superior, then u r clearly saying that lie is true

and this is the point end of truth

u keep willing to use the truth as a thing, when truth exist bc u move as free, so truth at ur space is the constant of what u alone are

it is very weird what is revealing now, it is not the lie but clearly the evil, that insistence to prone the glory of possessions as individual existence

how what u believe is not saying first that u r not?? how what u believe become powerful?? to compete with the matter of belief which is surely to truth since objective??

bc inherently u absolutely exist from believeing that truth is inferior thing, so in the illusion of absolute superiority surely from believing god
as if truth is an object tool for creations life, but u must b a total satanist to can exist without ever being true

truth play it objective till the end

so truth exist bc individual freedom exist, then existence is free and the fact that satanism is individual freedom out of truth by believing being superior to confirm that satanism is all existence freedom

so gods are evil life in never existing while possessing existence rights through satan

when existence is free, then any move meaning being against all exist, since free

but that freedom is by using all so cant exist alone

while existence whole exist alone
which of course u dont believe, but who cares u r not even nothing alone, and talking to what gives ur illusions of existing a life is same dirt, less then nothing alone while they are where there is nothing at all absolute facts

it says that u and ur gods are pretending being free by using free things

so it looks like u win, but when satan is who make the more effort to pretend being free while revealed now not being able alone at all, then all ur gods die since they make less that effort then satan, and u can still talk but for how long?

so first u all die totally together as one that cant move alone nor exist alone

then surely when u r well cooked truth will clean all from ur dirt rest, and true existence freedom will begin live as in the begining it was meant after some cleaning first

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by absolutely
reply to post by Starchild23

what is funny is that u define what truth is in meaning to advocate belief being superior, then u r clearly saying that lie is true

it is very weird what is revealing now, it is not the lie but clearly the evil, that insistence to prone the glory of possessions as individual existence

Evil is without a doubt perceptual biasedness, thus, a lie in-of-itself.

Sew you and the OP beliefs are clouded by your perceptions, thus, both of you live your lies as the truth.

Pathetic!

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

u r evil so of course u will say that to protect at any price ur hide luxurious stand opportunity to ur mind

evil has nothing to do with lies, it uses lies less then truth, while both freely for same mean, absolute power over objective superiority, as a base possession for evil one life

keep running in forums with ur smileys expectations, it doesnt matter ur end is clear anyway

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

n for ur own information, freedom cant lie, it is what u r alone clearly repetitively, when satan exist then of course freedom never lie

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

which prove that truth is freedom, so lets wait and see what absolute superiority think about the existence of ur freedom, u r expecting love and supports of course, wait n see

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

n for ur own information, freedom cant lie, it is what u r alone clearly repetitively, when satan exist then of course freedom never lie

You aren't free sew freedom is a lie.

You are trapped in your mind and you have bought into all of this.

You are n0thing more than Pinocchio and you cannot cut the strings, all you can dew is realize that you are trapped in your own mind, to then free your mind by realizing all of your conceptual and perceptually driven beliefs are what's keeping you a prisoner of your own mind.
But even then, you won't be free.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

reply to post by ButtUglyToad

u r evil so of course u will say that to protect at any price ur hide luxurious stand opportunity to ur mind

evil has nothing to do with lies, it uses lies less then truth, while both freely for same mean, absolute power over objective superiority, as a base possession for evil one life

keep running in forums with ur smileys expectations, it doesnt matter ur end is clear anyway

"The truth can be found in a lie but a lie cannot be found in the truth." - Old Toad Proverb

Your truths are full of lies and they are obvious to sumone kNot living the delusions you live.

As to my "end" it is the beginning, sew stick your evil in your pipe and smoke it, since it has no other purpose than to cause you mental instabilities.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

which prove that truth is freedom, so lets wait and see what absolute superiority think about the existence of ur freedom, u r expecting love and supports of course, wait n see

The interesting thing is, when you believe that which isn't the truth, then your truths are your jailer, which freedom is then illusionary and your truths make you delusional.

As to waiting to see, I'd love to see what Now would have to say about that, since that's futuristic in nature and he says there's only the Now, sew there's n0thing to wait for.

Ribbit

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join