It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ObamaCare - Pre-Existing Conditions - State by State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
HealthCare.gov has created a website for ObamaCare.

One interesting page is the Pre-Existing conditions "Map of States".

It seems each State has a different set of rules, rates, and deductibles.

Some are State programs, and some States use some kind of Federal program.

I wonder what, if any, is taxpayer funded ?

As many people know, most employer plans do not discriminate against pre-existing conditions.

I don't know if this is an interim plan until 2014,
and what if anything will change in 2014.
(assuming ObamaCare will even exist itself in 2014)

From the website:

Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP)

The Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan makes health coverage available to you if you are a U.S. citizen or reside here legally, you have been denied health insurance because of a pre-existing condition, and you’ve been uninsured for at least six months.

All covered benefits are available to you, even to treat a pre-existing condition.

The program doesn’t charge you a higher premium just because of your medical condition, and eligibility is not based on income.

Premiums will vary depending on the state you live in and the plan you choose. But as an example, if you live in a state where the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services provides coverage, the premium for a 50-year-old enrollee may range from $214 to $559, depending on state of residence and plan option. Medical and drug deductibles vary by plan option. For an estimated premium range where you live, use the map above.

What happens if someone with diabetes for example gets laid off and can no longer afford to pay the individual premium rate, and assume they can't "qualify" for Medicaid ?

HealthCare.gov - Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP)

edit on Mar-24-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
I don't know if this is an interim plan until 2014, and what if anything will change in 2014. (assuming ObamaCare will even exist itself in 2014)

It seems to be an interim plan until 2014, when the states have their exchanges set up. What will change in 2014, right off the top of my head; inter-state exchanges, where you can buy insurance from another state and carry it wherever you are in the country. Subsidized premium costs, if you pay for your mandated health care and you make less than X amount per year (I think it's $60,000), you get a tax rebate to help cover the annual cost of your insurance premium. This is also the year (2014) when the mandatory requirement kicks in, if you don't have health insurance, you are taxed something like $100-$200. The tax increases as we reach 2020, capping out at something like $1000/year.

After 2014, the dust should have settled, so to speak, to the point where you won't have to apply to this program because there's no way an insurance company could have denied you coverage because that practice has been illegal since March 2010. One of the requirements of the plan you linked is that you'd been previously denied coverage.

new topics

join