It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Cameron's submarine makes successful test to Earth's deepest point

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is not the first manned expedition to the Challenger Deep. The bathyscaphe Trieste reached the bottom in 1960.

The ship's light allowed them to see what they described as a dark brown "diatomaceous ooze" covering the sea floor, along with shrimp and some fish that appeared to resemble flounder and sole.

geology.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Yep.. that is exactly the fish and video I was looking for.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
good, now can he make terminator 3 and alien 3 please

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
This is not the first manned expedition to the Challenger Deep. The bathyscaphe Trieste reached the bottom in 1960.

The ship's light allowed them to see what they described as a dark brown "diatomaceous ooze" covering the sea floor, along with shrimp and some fish that appeared to resemble flounder and sole.

geology.com...

This is true. However, while the Trieste spent only 20 minutes on the bottom, Cameron plans to stay six hours photographing in 3D and taking biological and mineral samples.

Cameron has involved Don Walsh, a U.S. Navy diver from the Trieste dive in this dive.

deepseachallenge.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlie77
good, now can he make terminator 3 and alien 3 please

Probably not. Not only will Cameron be providing his data and 3D videos to scientists, he will most likely make a documentary about the dive. Cameron has made several deep sea documentaries before:

John Cameron's recent projects have included undersea documentaries on the Bismarck (Expedition: Bismarck, 2002) and the Titanic (Ghosts of the Abyss (2003, in IMAX 3D) and Tony Robinson's Titanic Adventure (2005))

en.wikipedia.org...

He also plans to make more dives. Maybe once he gets this out of his system he will make another Terminator movie. I heard rumors that Arnold Schwarzenegger would be in it.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Schwarzenegger already signed up for next terminator film according to imdb, diving sucks

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
this can turn out one of two ways, (I'm not including the disaster scenario)

1. They discover all kinds of insane life forms, creatures we never thought could exist.

2. They discover that it is deep, dark, cold and pretty much void of life at the bottom of the trench.

I'm assuming #1 is the more likely scenario. I hope the new life forms aren't all miscroscopic shrimp and we learn that there's some large, impressive life living in implausible conditions.

Why can it only turn out 2 ways ?

That is narrow minded don't you think ?

Considering how random life is, it would turn out a million different ways at least.

What is with America and us having to pick between only 2 options ?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

I saw that and I'm hoping that they find more life than that. a large single cell blob and a bunch of strange sponges and jelly fish are cool but what would be wild would be some large fish that reminds us that we haven't a clue what's going on outside our peripheral vision. If we find the unexplored areas of our own planet teeming with unknown life, perhaps this will prompt further exploration into other areas in and around the rock we call home.

the food supply just isn't there. even when a whale carcass floats down it's mostly crabs and eels and the like that take care of it

what woud be sweet is if they film a collossal squid/sperm whale fight. then I could die in peace

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

We haven't explored even half of the ocean area. Ships generally follow certain shipping lanes and exploration just does a little area within a zone it says it explores. A diver only sees a limited area when diving, etc... There could be a big thriving city under the water and it's possible we'd never know

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Crakeur

For the sake of fun though.. imagine being down there 7 miles down in a tiny vessel and turning on some flood lights and seeing something huge flush off into the dark.

Haha. Cameron should take Bill Paxton (Hudson in Aliens) with him just in case of that.

"GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!"

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Latest tweet from Cameron:

I only tweet when I have something worth saying. Today is the culmination of a 7 yr project. It's finally dive day.

Twitter

But the weather over the dive site isn't that great:

Weather

He wants to go, but is waiting for a break in the weather. A Philippine friend says the weather is unusual for this time of year. Either Cameron isn't praying to the weather gods hard enough, or maybe, just maybe:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
And he's off! The past 3 tweets from DeepSea Challenge on Twitter:

@JimCameron just passed the #Titanic depth at around 4,305 meters

"RELEASE, RELEASE, RELEASE!" @JimCameron's last words before starting the descent to the Mariana Trench

@JimCameron has started his descent to the ocean's deepest point. Stay tuned for updates from the deep.

twitter.com...#!/DeepChallenge

I'm so excited about this, the true final frontier left on the planet

top topics

<< 1   >>

join