It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mex, NM, CA, WA VOLCANOs AWAKENING, Scientists warn new data proves 'MegaQuake' likely

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I'll tell you what, I looked on Google Maps and it sure does look like an ancient caldera formation right there where that plume appeared. It's black and crescent-shaped. Look for "Pink Peak" right next to Route 380 and that's it.

Too bad I can't go down there and have a look. It's only about a 90 minute drive for me.

Incidentally, I am just south of Valles Caldera, a very large dormant volcano, and very close to some of its ancient floes. I also heard that New Mexico has the most dormant volcanoes of any state in the U.S.

Yipes.

edit on 25-3-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

The point of that first video is, from recent Sumatra, Chile, and Japan M9 quakes, we're seeing the sharpest jolts, that is, the strongest motions at the high frequencies that damage buildings, came from the deeper parts of the fault rupture, not the shallower parts in which the fault slip was greatest. And the deepest part of the expected M9 in Cascadia would be under land, while most of the rupture in Japan was under the ocean.

While we expect a little more shaking than before the latest work, it is too soon to say just how much, and it doesn't change the best guess about the current odds of the M9 quake, which is about 1 in 300 each year.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The whole plate system is constantly moving or has subduction or Mountain Building occuring. Usually...a bunch of small to medium quakes and even a volcano...as long as it is not Yellowstone...shaking or mini-erupting...can be a good thing as it releases presure on areas of the tectonic plate that has been building. It is when a very quick and sudden grouping of activity in one general area occurs....is when you should start worrying.

Although this type of science is in it's infancy....Massive Eruptions usually occur with very little warning although with the advent of Laser range finders and low frequency earth rumbling recordings...we can get some warning...but if something as major as is being discussed here....Bye...Bye! Split Infinity

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Actually, this is an increasingly likely scenario apparently. My Geology lab teacher spent a solid hour on this very topic for almost an hour this past week. He seems to think the big one is coming very soon

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
When as the last time scientist accurately predicted any significant earthquake? I can't recall single instance but maybe I missed one somewhere. Bottom line is they can't so why worry about it whats the point do they expect everyone to flee the area or something? Not going to happen.

Eventually one of these guys may get lucky but still what good will it do?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd

Originally posted by graphuto
You guys are saying that an actual scientist and professor actually posts on this website?

Why do you think so many people use ATS? ATS is a pretty elaborate filled pool of intellectuals, and people from the GOV battling each other to let us all know about how the world really is, not how FOX news portrays it.

Here is a thread with the same question:www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are definitely no people here from the GOV battling each other to let us all know about how the world really is. They work for the GOV. What you're saying is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Hopefully science keeps getting better at predicting Earthquakes, until someday they start getting it right.

Sound like the Northwest Seaboard is in for a doozy, anytime in the next couple of hundred years. Hopefully not soon.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ashnik3000
its kinda refreshing to see that none of these videos are about how haarp is going to cause these quakes

Why?

Does that save the taxpayers alot of money?

edit on 25-3-2012 by HermitShip because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
By big one what do you mean?

just a big one in a location that is over due a big EQ from 7-9mag

Or anywhere in the world could expect something over 9mag ?

Because sure there are many places over due a big EQ, but that could mean anywhere from 7mag - 9mag,

So we are saying the US - Mexico is over due and should one occur in the Americas over 7mag, then the threat is gone right?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnVidale
reply to post by crappiekat

The point of that first video is, from recent Sumatra, Chile, and Japan M9 quakes, we're seeing the sharpest jolts, that is, the strongest motions at the high frequencies that damage buildings, came from the deeper parts of the fault rupture, not the shallower parts in which the fault slip was greatest. And the deepest part of the expected M9 in Cascadia would be under land, while most of the rupture in Japan was under the ocean.

While we expect a little more shaking than before the latest work, it is too soon to say just how much, and it doesn't change the best guess about the current odds of the M9 quake, which is about 1 in 300 each year.

Thanks for chiming in John. Your work and your contribution here on ATS is very much appreciated. I haven't watched the video yet but while I do housework today I plan on hearing what else you have to say.

ETA: I just watched the first video.... and.....have a question.

John, do you see any signs as of yet that lead you to think this Mega Quake could happen any day now and if so what signs are you noticing?
edit on 25-3-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Hi MaMa!I guess a few didn't read my post about John...
and didn't see his post either....

Thanks for your contributions John!

edit on 3/25/2012 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by MamaJ

Hi MaMa!I guess a few didn't read my post about John...
and didn't see his post either....

Thanks for your contributions John!

edit on 3/25/2012 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I think it went right over some...

I live in the New Madrid area (In TN) and last few weeks I have heard off and on a LOUD BOOM. The other day it was pretty impressive as it happened a couple of times in one day and there was nothing showing up on seismographs. I initially thought it It was either plates moving or a blast...hoping for the latter as I just watched the video about the New Madrid.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I am please you put the disclaimer in there for Dutchsinse. Otherwise I would have called BS on this whole thread. The information you have put out there is interesting and I am in complete agreement that Cascadia is due.

Dutch on the other hand, is about as misinformed as a person can get. He is well intentioned, he just doesnt understand basic concepts, like science vs paganism. His followers are rabid and will not tolerate probing questioning of Der Fuerher. They will bomblast you and prevent discussion of the issues at hand. Too bad, because I have enjoyed watching some of his stuff, but I have come to completely dismiss him due to the layer of insulation from questions his minions have created.

S&F

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Dang if California breaks off into the ocean nearly a 1/4 of Mexico's population will be lost.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Nothing in the ongoing earthquakes is more than mild indication of normal fluctuations in activity. In terms of level of alert serious enough to take action, the only recent changes are to the long term rates.

We had a workshop in Seattle last week, and POSSIBLE changes to the hazard map include bumping up the chance of the Cascadia-wide M9 by 20-40% by taking account of the fact that it hasn't happened since 1700AD (from 1 in 500 per year due to the observation of 20 quakes in the last 10,000 years to 1 in 300 per year). Also possible are bumping up the chance of an M8-8.5 in southern Cascadia (well south of Portland) due to Chris Goldfinger finding evidence of such quakes in the offshore turbidites (sands), dropping the danger more than 100km from the coast due to the observation that the waves in the Japan earthquake last year attenuated more quickly than expected with distance.

No cosmic changes to risk, in the scientists view.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
doom is so last year.

actually I've been waiting for doom for 20 years...nothing has happened or will happen.

PLEASE ...go live your lives to the fullest and stop dreaming about DOOOOOOM~

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnVidale

Good deal...thanks so much for an in depth answer John. Really glad to have you here.

As for infowarrior's post .. I don't think anyone is wanting doom ....good gawd! lol

Some of us like being aware...I (personally) don't like for anything to sneak up on me if I can help it. Face to face is my thang!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Yes, everyone knows California is getting Megaquake, sometime within 100 years. But no one can't predict them, since earthquakes are very random, and no one knows structure of earth there. People can only guess by looking history and deformation, using gps data and sulphur-detecting instruments.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I thought that "John" posted under the name "TrueAmerican?"

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

We're different people. I just spotted this forum last month.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join