It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Win: FDA must act to cut antibiotics from animal feed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Factory-farmed animals are routinely fed antibiotics, often human antibiotics, for disease prevention - a practise known to create antibiotic resistant super-bugs. Worse, many of these bacteria don't just develop immunities, they evolve to feed on antibiotics!

Finally, a federal judge has ruled that Big Pharma drug-makers must prove such use is safe. If they can't (they can't), then the FDA must start proceedings to " withdraw approval for the use of common antibiotics in animal feed." File under "about time."

A federal judge on Thursday ordered U.S. regulators to start proceedings to withdraw approval for the use of common antibiotics in animal feed, citing concerns that overuse is endangering human health by creating antibiotic-resistant "superbugs".

U.S. Magistrate Judge Theodore Katz ordered the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to begin proceedings unless makers of the drugs can produce evidence that their use is safe.

If they can't, then the FDA must withdraw approval for non-therapeutic use of those drugs, the judge ruled.

edit on 24/3/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/3/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The FDA is so crooked.... then again so are the rest of the agencies...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I have mixed feeling about this -- on one hand I do think that the included drugs are probably not good -- on the other hand - producing food for 300 plus million people is no small chore.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
good to know
that some will go
where good intention show
let LOVE flow

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

while this is great news, i'm wondering how long they will drag their feet before it is done.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by couldbeanyone
reply to post by soficrow

while this is great news, i'm wondering how long they will drag their feet before it is done.

Exactly..To long for me.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by couldbeanyone

We can hope. And it's definitely a good time to keep pushing. Don't let the issue get put on the back burner.

Power to the people.

top topics

join