It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pensioner who died after fall at care home..muslim nurse was praying

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

An elderly woman who suffered a fall was left lying on the floor at a care home for up to ten minutes because a senior nurse was praying, an inquest heard.

Abdul Bhutto, an agency nurse, told junior staff they would have to wait until he finished before he would attend to 87-year-old Dorothy Griffiths, who died nine days later.

Mrs Griffiths, who suffered from Alzheimer’s, was left on the floor while the Muslim nurse continued to pray on his mat.

Eventually he arrived and examined the pensioner before telling carers to put her back to bed. She was later found unresponsive and was taken to hospital.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

hi all
this is not the first case of this type
there has been several more in the last few years due to prayers
how many more have to die

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
He shouldn't be a nurse if he can't perform his duties properly. If I were a relative, I'd sue that place!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I agree with Night Star. While he does have the right to pray, it interferes with his ability to do his job. Especially when an emergency is going on and you choose to pray over attending to the emergency? That's liable.

However what I don't understand is, was this person the only qualified nurse to attend to this person who fell? If so I think that Nursing Home has bigger problems.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
He shouldn't be a nurse if he can't perform his duties properly. If I were a relative, I'd sue that place!

This. Right here.

The guy should be fired and sued.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

while this is tragic, he wasn't the only nurse on duty. the spin on this story is horrid. plus prayers need only to take a few minutes (depending on the time of day). perhaps this person was a little insensitive, but still, he was not the only person responsible for the patients. also i would like to add that if those believing in god prayed 5 times a day the world could just possibly be a better place.

ETA: provisions should have been made by the nursing home to ensure the patients were being looked after while the nurse was praying. if it were going to be a problem for him to pray while at work, he shouldn't have been hired (which is a hornets nest of issues in and of itself). this incident shouldn't have happened, but these things happen at nursing homes quite often and usually there is no one praying. think about how many people end up with BEDSORES in these places when no one is praying.
edit on 24-3-2012 by couldbeanyone because: eta

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I recall reading somewhere that he has been summoned to a review by the official nursing body.

I'm pretty sure that means he will soon lose his nursing licence. They take deriliction of duty very seriously, especially when someone dies as a result.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by couldbeanyone

while this is tragic, he wasn't the only nurse on duty. the spin on this story is horrid. plus prayers need only to take a few minutes (depending on the time of day). perhaps this person was a little insensitive, but still, he was not the only person responsible for the patients. also i would like to add that if those believing in god prayed 5 times a day the world could just possibly be a better place.

There are 24 hours in a day, more than enough time to pray. You don't just ignore a dire emergency like it isn't happening!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Well I am praying he gets fired for his ungodly behavior

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

prayers in islam need to be at certain times of day. although it is allowed to "make up" for prayers at a later time, i just don't think it's a great idea to place all the blame on the guy praying. where was everyone else? is no one else responsible? is no one else trained for this type of situation? if not, then this nursing home should be investigated. making it an anti-muslim piece of propaganda is not necessary. yes, there should be consequences for the said nurse, but direction people are taking this article in is disconcerting to say the least.

muslims are trained to ignore everything while praying, which in my opinion is a good idea. it ensures you are in the right mindset to speak to god. while it was not good for this situation, you should not be thinking of what goes on around you while you are praying.

like i said, it is tragic and action should (and will) be taken. I just don't see how this would garner so much attention if this person was christian.
edit on 24-3-2012 by couldbeanyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

i am praying that you learn to pray for better things, like his realizing his mistake and using his skills to better his community.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Azadok

i am praying that you learn to pray for better things, like his realizing his mistake and using his skills to better his community.

I wish people would stop frigging praying to fictional gods and do their jobs properly and look after other REAL people.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This is another example where East meets West. Oil and water do not mix.
The beliefs of muslims and non-muslims do not mix.
And making exceptions for the muslim world to fit into Western civializations won't mix either.
This is nothing new. It has been going on since (1095) the Byzantine Emperor Alexius Comnenus had urged the pope to send help against the armies of Muslim Turks.Which started the Crusades. The Ottoman empire attacked Europe in 1683, and the Polish Winged Hussars freed Vienna. Chasing out the muslims from Europe.
Oil and water do not mix.
edit on 24-3-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
i'm just saying... the nursing home could have and should have made sure that there were provisions in place so that the patients were being cared for if a nurse wanted to take 5-10 minutes to pray. the fact that a person fell and subsequently died because 1 nurse was praying is something that should require the home to be investigated.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

i'm just saying... the nursing home could have and should have made sure that there were provisions in place so that the patients were being cared for if a nurse wanted to take 5-10 minutes to pray. the fact that a person fell and subsequently died because 1 nurse was praying is something that should require the home to be investigated.

Throughout the years we have had nurses of different faiths and no one ignored a patients safety to pray. There is no excuse to endanger a life. Some muslims take their religion to extremes. If it were your Mother or Grandmother, or even yourself lying on that floor like that I am sure you would feel differently. If your religion is going to come before saving a human life, there is something seriously wrong with that in my opinion. In any case, it is obvious that this nurse needs a different proffesion!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

i stand by my statement.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

muslims are trained to ignore everything while praying, which in my opinion is a good idea. it ensures you are in the right mindset to speak to god. while it was not good for this situation, you should not be thinking of what goes on around you while you are praying.

like i said, it is tragic and action should (and will) be taken. I just don't see how this would garner so much attention if this person was christian.
edit on 24-3-2012 by couldbeanyone because: (no reason given)

If the Muslim "god" is so great, it would have alerted this dufus to the fact that there was an elderly lady in dire need of his help. That fact that it didn't says something about it's existence (or rather, lack thereof) IMO

Not to mention, as a nurse, IT'S HIS JOB TO HELP AND CARE. He's not getting paid to fkn pray.

Get up off your god damn knees and GO DO YOUR JOB! HELP! CARE!

I'm with some of the others here. Fire him and expect a lawsuit.

What if that was your mom, laying there prostrate in pain on the floor just wishing somebody could come help her?
What would you do if you found out there was someone, but they were too busy praying to help her?

I know what I would have done.

Put my fist through the front of his face and out the back of his head

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

if it were my mother, of course i would be angry. i wouldn't be angry that he was praying, i would be angry that the nursing home i stuffed her in because i'm too busy to care for the woman who gave me life wasn't equipped to care for her while ONE nurse was praying.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by couldbeanyone

btw, what he did (or didn't do in this case) was unforgivable any way you look at it. I am assuming though, that the only reason this is a story is because he WAS the only one available, or was the one responsible for this particular patient at that particular time.

Otherwise, this is a non story

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by couldbeanyone

Prayers are between the individual and God. They are not anyone else problem. Or at least shouldn't be. Why did it become the problem of the patient. Someone who is paying for a service to be provided. It is not the problem of the employer or the patient or the country for that matter. If someone believes in prayer or they will be punished by their God. That is there problem. When this person became employed there were expectations to be met. It is called a contract. If these expectations are not met then there are punishments for not following that obligation. Its called being fired. It is about time people quit believing that they are special and immune to liability and responsibility. I am religious I can do what ever whenever I want. A person can convince themselves of anything but it doesn't make it true.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

It is the responsiblity of the care home to provide adequate staffing at all times. He just as easily could have been on the toilet- I doubt anyone would say that he ought to run down the hall with his pants down and his business still being transacted (on the floor) and start picking up the pensioner. If they didn't provide him cover so that he could take the breaks that a worker is legally entitled to, it's on them. It's not like he converted to Islam and declared prayer time on a whim to get out of a tough job at work- he was doing something routine and permitted that should have been within the facilities ability to operate.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join