It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another of Saturn's Moons Shown To Have Oceans — and Possibly Extraterrestrial Life

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

This has to be the most awesome thing I've seen all week

Thank you.....I really appreciate that!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
reply to post by StealthyKat

Or maybe orbital booster rockets or thrusters .

They also kind of look like headlights

The new Sylvania Silverstar Galactics or some nonsense

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruptedstructure

I can't stop looking at it. I'm trying to find more pics right now....check back in a bit.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Oh WOW....I found some great pics from Cassini from 2008....these are incredible!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Heres a fun fact for Ats and non-belivers;

Our human eye can only see a tiny-itsy-bitsy fraction of what truly exists in space.
All that black matter is black, because our eye sight sees a limited part of the light spectrum, its more lively then black matter.. your human eyes just cant see it.

Dolores Cannon is a hypnotist who uses her subjects to contact extraterrestrial beigns (Read Custodian - Dolores Cannon).. A very wise, sweethearted old lady. I think Ats would learn alot from her alone, I know I did. Her experiences would blow you away, with the information she has about extraterrestrials, dimension, energy, mind power/abilities, spaceships.. all the fun stuff nay-sayers like to ignore

Through Extraterrstrial channeling (again another biggy for Ats minds to comprehend), the beings channeld to Dolores that there are bases and cilvilizations undeer Mars, inside the planet as the surface is virtually un-inhabitable to species like us.. As well, Saturn has ET bases too, of very advanced races.

Read a book peeps

~ Love is an art

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This is awesome! Just the wonders and new things being discovered in our own solar system amaze me. Only a matter of time until we confirm life outside our planet!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LoveisanArt

I don't know about living inside planets, but I definitely believe we can't be the only ones....the odds are waaaay against that. I don't know if I believe they have the ability to travel here, and I doubt they would even consider our puny planet worthy of a visit
.....Most likely, if there were intelligent life forms, they would not have 2 legs, 2 arms, a head and big eyes. That's how we evolved for life HERE. They would evolve in accordance with their environment.....who knows what they would look like. Not like a "grey" though.....I think that is our minds creating a being based on what we know.....IMO

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RBinOkc

Agreed....that's what I saying above. The odds are we aren't. The universe (s) are an amazing thing. Just think of what a small portion we even KNOW about! It could be infinite....We are soooo very small in the scheme of things

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Thanks for posting all the cool pics of Enceladus. Definitely one of the most beautiful moons in our solar system.

There are other moons that are thought to have liquid oceans: Europa most certainly. Others suspected of having a liquid ocean include Callisto, Ganymede, Rhea, Titania, Oberon, Triton, Pluto, Eris, Sedna, and Orcus.

There is no way that life can be absent from all of them. We just have to go look.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hey Kat,

Very cool thread........

Take care of yourself....

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Hi Clouds! Long time no see.....and thankyou sweet.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Awesome......and just think of all the other moons of all the other planets of all the other stars of all the other solar syatems....well....you know!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

NASA's Cassini spacecraft [has made] its lowest pass yet over the south polar region of Saturn's moon Enceladus, where icy particles and water vapor spray out in glittering jets. The closest approach, at an altitude of about 46 miles (74 kilometers), will occur around 11:30 a.m. PDT (2:30 p.m. EDT) on March 27. This flyby is primarily designed for Cassini's ion and neutral mass spectrometer, which will attempt to "taste" particles from the jets. Scientists using this spectrometer will utilize the data to learn more about the composition, density and variability of the plume.

source

"More than 90 jets of all sizes near Enceladus's south pole are spraying water vapor, icy particles, and organic compounds all over the place," says Carolyn Porco, an award-winning planetary scientist and leader of the Imaging Science team for NASA’s Cassini spacecraft. "Cassini has flown several times now through this spray and has tasted it. And we have found that aside from water and organic material, there is salt in the icy particles. The salinity is the same as that of Earth's oceans." Thermal measurements of Enceladus's fissures have revealed temperatures as high as -120 deg Fahrenheit (190 Kelvin). "If you add up all the heat, 16 gigawatts of thermal energy are coming out of those cracks," says Porco. She believes the small moon, with its sub-surface liquid sea, organics, and an energy source, may host the same type of life we find in similar environments on Earth.

source

"The salinity is the same as that of Earth's oceans." How can that be
wow
edit on 3/28/2012 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Your belive is your reality my friend. Your thoughts are energy, and they create.

~ Love is an art

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Now THAT is interesting. Salt and oceans AND heat....I would bet money they find some kind of organisms there!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
Thanks for posting all the cool pics of Enceladus. Definitely one of the most beautiful moons in our solar system.

There are other moons that are thought to have liquid oceans: Europa most certainly. Others suspected of having a liquid ocean include Callisto, Ganymede, Rhea, Titania, Oberon, Triton, Pluto, Eris, Sedna, and Orcus.

There is no way that life can be absent from all of them. We just have to go look.

en.wikipedia.org...

is triton really that shape or is it just non-illuminated?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by choos

I think it is just shaded...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If this man is right then life could be everywhere:
www.panspermia.org ...

This man thinks we detected life on mars (view his publications by scrolling down):
gillevin.com ...

The origins of life:
www.talkorigins.org ...

Over 99% of our body is composed of Nitrogen, Oxygen, Hydrogen, Carbon, Phosphorous, Calcium and Sulphur. How did those elements know how to come together to create a lifeform. Carl Sagan said that it wasn't the atoms that go into a thing that's important, it's the way that those atoms are put together. How did the universe know how to put these atoms together in just such a way to produce life and its corresponding consciousness? What sort of natural law or physics permitted this to happen?

The last link used words such as self-organizing and self-sufficient and special and complexity and evolved and spontaneously and so on to describe how our universe creates life from inanimate things. But these are words, they're not concrete, discrete sorts of things. Science can bring us to a better answer, but either the key to life always existed or it evolved into being. This key is used in at least one example.

The second link says we have another example of this key being used.

The first link says this key has existed for a long long long time. He argues that something had to find the key which was 1 in 10^40,000. This is far more than all the atoms in the observable universe. His argument was that the universe must be older (or infinite) because even if life originated in the cosmos and spread around it would still be highly improbable. Of course, it goes without saying, he thinks the idea that it originated on earth is not only improbable, it's probably impossible. There're just not enough shufflings on one planet. He believes it needs the whole cosmos to produce enough shufflings to find the correct combination and also needs much much more time than is presently allotted to it.
edit on 6-4-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I think Enceladus is more exciting than Europa.

As I said in threads I started about 4 years ago about the oceans and geysers of Enceladus, the Cassini spacecraft actually swooped into one of the geysers "tasted" some of the water ice coming from it and found organic materials. Granted, "organic materials" does not mean life, but it IS the building blocks of life.

Here is that Enceladus thread of mine from 2008:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

By the way, the link in that old thread no longer links to the source article, but here an updated link to the article I mentioned:

Cassini Tastes Organic Material at Saturn's Geyser Moon

edit on 4/6/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

There are several TED talks by Carolyn Porco who is the leader of the imaging team for Cassini you can find them on Netflix or ted.com.

They are not very up to date but I did find it interesting to hear Dr. Porco speculate on Enceladus with as much if not more enthusiasm than we do here. What was even more fascinating was to hear her say if we could show there was in fact large oceans or more complex organics at Enceladus then.... and now we know that is exactly what they have found although the do seem much more quiet about it at this point for whatever reason.

Whatever the outcome I hope I live to see the day that the Oceans in Europa and Enceladus are beginning to be explored as it is sure to be enlightening.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join