It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navajo Nation Sues The State Of Utah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Navajos claim in Federal Court that Utah abandoned a $54 million energy income trust for tribal housing, water, electricity and college scholarships, because top state officials don't want to deal with litigation over the trust's management.
Lead plaintiff Mary Benally, as a beneficiary of the Utah Navajo Trust Fund, claims that Utah unjustly "resigned" as administrator of the trust in 2008, and put the money in a holding fund.
The trust was established in 1933. "The state of Utah is required by federal law to receive 37.5 percent of royalties paid on oil and gas extracted from certain portions of the Navajo Reservation that extend into San Juan County, Utah. These royalties are to be placed into the Utah Navajo Trust Fund," the complaint states.
All Navajos who live in San Juan County are listed as beneficiaries, Congress declared by public law in 1968.

Navaho

We weren't content enough to try and wipe them out, we have to continue stealing from them too? A majority of these Navajo live so far below the poverty line, they make me look rich by comparison. A lot of them have to go OFF the reservation just to get water. Can you imagine living in a home and not having any running water for as long as you live there? It's disgraceful. 30 Days With Morgan Spurlock did an excellent episode regarding the Navajo. I highly recommend going on Netflix and watching it. It will open your eyes to how their forced to live.

30 Days

I would have thought we learned from the blanket debacle, Trail Of Tears even, but no, we still have to treat our brothers and sisters in humanity like cr*p. Shameful!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Another sterling example of the government treating the native Americans like crap. Wasn't enough to steal their land and kill their women and children. I'm behind the native Americans 100%. I have friends on a couple of the reservations around where I live and they get treated terribly by allot of people and the local government. The state is always meddling in their affairs, except when they are being robbed by the state.

I thought that the Constitution stated that the only government agency who could legitimately deal with the native Americans was Indian affairs. Yet the state continues to try to rip them off. Every year and after every election there is a new jerk in office trying to steal from them. Why can't we just let them live their lives the way they want to?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Yet the state continues to try to rip them off. Every year and after every election there is a new jerk in office trying to steal from them. Why can't we just let them live their lives the way they want to?

Government, be it national or state, rip off all citizens whether they be natives or non-natives.

My question is: why can't we ALL live our lives the way we want to?
edit on 24-3-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

Yet the state continues to try to rip them off. Every year and after every election there is a new jerk in office trying to steal from them. Why can't we just let them live their lives the way they want to?

Government, be it national or state, rip off all citizens whether they be natives or non-natives.

My question is: why can't we ALL live our lives the way we want to?
edit on 24-3-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

While I do somewhat agree that we all grab our ankles and take it from the government, they had a settlement in trust. The government either mismanages the settlement altogether, or doesn't have anyone run it (which is illegal in itself.) The Navajo's, a great majority live on the reservation in just abject poverty. Most don't even have running water. I remember watching Morgan Spurlock's 30 days and the family he was with had to go OFF the reservation to a water well and draw up water for them to use for bathing, drinking, etc... and the most horrendous part was they were only allowed to fill 2 (?) containers as the water had to be for everyone on the res. NO ONE should have to live that way and if the government is supposed to be managing that money and doling it out, then by God give it to them and stop scr*wing around already.

top topics

join