It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Is Headed For Earth And Will Hit In 7 Days... What Could Be Done?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I agree, with the last two responces. however the time frame was a one week period!.
there is actually a huge asteroid heading for earth called a near miss or a possible hit, on its way right now. sapposed to be either this year or next 2013. But to stick to the hypothetical scenario a one week time frame?
Id think wed be doomed or at least most of the worlds populations would be IF the roid hit dirt wed be put into an ice age of darkness from the dust blocking the sun.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
i seen that contest of short stories going on. Sure wish i wasnt listed as a newb. I have a true story to tell but would have to add lib some to put it into perspective. Would be a nice addidtive i think.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Everyone should go to your local grocery store and buy as much butter or margarine as possible because we're all gonna
be toast.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
OP, it would have been nice to have seen "What if" at the front of your post so I could have ignored it, that's NOT a spite on you its merely I have read a million and one of these scenario's.

The initial post presents itself as a forthcoming factual event as opposed to a what if...

Cheers, just give others a little thought when making thread names...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nostalgic

Originally posted by kennvideo
reply to post by Nostalgic

Observe, it's these members I am looking for... thank you for being serious.... KP

No problem, OP. Happy to contribute. Of course my only star is from the OP himself, while the post above mine about setting up a trampoline to bounce the meteor back into space is cruisin' right past 15 stars already. Just goes to show you where the integrity of ATS is headed, as it seems far more beneficial to poke fun and toss around jokes these days.

Oh well. Interesting post, regardless of what appears to be a lack of seriousness being taken.

Cheers
edit on 25-3-2012 by Nostalgic because: (no reason given)

You're a good and decent person Nostalgic...Keep it up my friend...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mclaneinc
OP, it would have been nice to have seen "What if" at the front of your post so I could have ignored it, that's NOT a spite on you its merely I have read a million and one of these scenario's.

The initial post presents itself as a forthcoming factual event as opposed to a what if...

Cheers, just give others a little thought when making thread names...

Sorry Mclaneinc, I learned for next time I propose a scenario...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

Slow it down, you know like a soft landing, however you dont have enough time. I wonder if it would be easier to destroy in space (blow it up) or in an oxygen enviroment, or right when it is entering our atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

We have some very powerful lasers hanging around, like in pine gap Australia and i am sure they would have one on the space station, and probable a few more in stragetic places, just wait till it was in the right position and Whamo, just a theory, could work.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
We build a huge trampoline at the expected point of impact. The meteor hits trampoline and bounces back off into space.

That is pure genius! Excellent idea, me likes.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamstalker

Yeah, it's all about them 'stragetic places'!

Lol, sorry, couldn't resist.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
KAME - HAME - HAA!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
i dont think 7 days let alone 7 months would be enough time to do anything with something that size heading towards earth. not with the known tech we have at the moment.

really all you could do is get into a crouched position, put your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye.

i dont think id wanna survive such an impact, you would probably only suffer before u died.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
call chuck norris.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by vaelamin
call chuck norris.

i dont think chuch norris memes have been considered funny for years.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

Achieving orbit and achieving escape velocity are two different things, around twice the velocity. It took New Horizons an escape velocity of 36,900 mph to head on a trajectory not bound by the sun's gravity, and that is considered to be the minimum velocity to do so. Like others have said 7 days to prep a heavy lift and most critically a piercing nuclear weapon (or several) would take a minimum of a few days which means if the asteroid is hit in space it will be much closer to earth, lessening the chances the debris will miss earth.

If the nucs do little, the mass of the asteroid that is believed to have caused the extinction of the dinosaurs is believed to be not much bigger that what the OP suggests, and it hit in the Gulf of Mexico. It matters little if a body that size impacts in the ocean or land, it will penetrate to the magma, and all hell would brake loose.

Have a nice day.
edit on 25-3-2012 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Nukes* Extinction*

My response, one word: '___'.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
..................and if it all fails........................

for those who don't know what will happen, try yourself

impact.ese.ic.ac.uk...

or

www.purdue.edu...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Just saying "Deep Impact" and "Armageddon" 2 great movies

The movies explain what I had thought about it.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dymiox

'___'? Is that short for Lots of Stupid Decisions or Lots of Smart Dummies. As pertaining to those who like building WMDs

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by kennvideo
There are many great thinkers, problem solvers and out of the box minds here on ATS... but most of all, many of you are knowledgeable about what I am going to ask.
Say a meteor is heading straight for earth. Its wing span is five miles wide and two miles high and will arrive in one week. We have a general area, say the central Atlantic that will be its target. Is this ANY WAY, with what we humans have on hand, to either slingshot it away from us or destroy it completely? This may seem like a silly game to some. I just want the interested ones to give some answers and thought to this predicament I propose. A meeting of the minds I will say. Because God forbid this would actually occur... We would need many fine minds to come up with answers. As I said, ATS has very, very inventive and learned minds as members. Thank you for your considering to post real proposals and not jokes.

If you choose to answer with something, thank you for your time and thought... KP

if we ever do that array of solar materials, or an upgraded version of it using metamaterials, we could use the array to target such a thing, and vaporize it, or merely deflect it by heating one side versus another, wouldn't take much to deflect an object off enough that it wouldn't be a problem.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join