It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Is Headed For Earth And Will Hit In 7 Days... What Could Be Done?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

Good question. Simple answer... not much. Your lead time of one week is the main factor in that. Such a massive object traveling at minimum velocity of say 5 miles per second (shuttle orbital speed) is even more difficult to deflect. The strongest force that exists are nukes that we could shoot into space but would have no fuel left to maneuver (ICBMs are meant to come back down, not go to halfway to the moon) to insure exact timing of detonation in order to have some deflection effect without breaking it into pieces. A "shotgun blast" would be much more destructive and ever more sure to hit the earth with pieces of unknown size. Like say three pieces a mile across. Bang, bang,bang. Three times worse.

And how do you determine when to detonate a rocket as the two close distance? If we launch now and hope it maintains a perfect track the best we can hope to do is guess. Even with technology as good as it gets today, they still can't reliably predict impactors. Like the space station recent dodge ball with a piece of Russian satellite. The "projected distance" was 6 miles from the station but they still had to wait it out in the on board "bunker" just in case.

Recently with the impactor that struck comet Temple One, the effect was like running over a bug on the freeway with a semi. An object five miles across that damn close is gonna keep coming no matter what we do.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I wouldn't want to tell you too much, in case my idea is awesome and I decide to patent it.

Look at the reasonable parts. There is a little stone coming to rest on another big watery stone on the edge of a galaxy, and the little beings in clothes on the surface of the big stone want to keep as many of them alive as possible.

Wait, what? Who said everybody has to live?

It would almost be cheaper to buy every person on the planet a watertight environmental suit to live in for several months, than to manufacture parts to send something up to the space pebble, to try to prevent a collision, in 7 days.

Picking my brain about suppressed technology, alien technology, and future technology, there is a device that can modify an object like that. Still, it would need to get into space to get the job done. And it would have to be big enough to blast apart something miles wide.

This quantum beam device could harness the holographic nature of the universe, scan the incoming space pebble, and render it into nothing by making it materially transparent, only a waveform. Or, it could create a diversion, and set something else in the path of the rock, for preemptive collision. Spacemines. Like land mines, but for outer space, with special spacey properties that wouldn't affect life on earth. Heat vortexes, because space is cold. Balls of plasma, or plasmonic beams, something to change the rock into... hot lava! And it would rain fire and brimstone on the earth for many days.

I've lost track of reality. Let's come back. Talk to the rock. No, I didn't just lose it more. Send a signal there to vibrate at the rock's frequency, make it wiggle out of the path, like rocks across the desert leave trails. Sound.

The original post looks like a homework assignment. I can't give you the math or the specific technology to get the job done, and I'm not sorry. That would take a scientific paper.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I know we landed a probe on an asteroid like ten years ago. Wouldn't that technology help with destroying a meteor... providing the vehicle or vehicles exist and are just waiting to be fitted with what would be needed to destroy or really break up the meteor before it got to Earth?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
panic sex?
lots and lots of *censored by ATS*?
shoot some nukes and see what happens?
Way Above Top Secret anti-gravity beam?

edit on 25-3-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
You blast a rocket toward it. This rocket will house two passengers. Flying the craft, Chuck Norris will sit as captain. To his right, Samuel L. Jackson. And while only one will make it back, both Chuck Norris and the late Samuel L. Jackson will be heroes.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Use high energy lasers in orbit that were built by the reaganites supposedly to intercept ballistic missles from china and russia. Communism is dead so we might as well use that technology(SDI) to save the earth and feel good about spending trillions of dollars on bull#.

Alternatively use an antimatter bomb, plasma canon, the great pyramid of egypt, rail gun, photon torpedoes, particle beams, whatever the # is classified under national security and will never be used. You know just an excuse to drain the tax payer from his last penny before the world fascist dictatorship takes effect!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Use high energy lasers in orbit that were built by the reaganites supposedly to intercept ballistic missles from china and russia. Communism is dead so we might as well use that technology(SDI) to save the earth and feel good about spending trillions of dollars on bull#.

Alternatively use an antimatter bomb, plasma canon, the great pyramid of egypt, rail gun, photon torpedoes, particle beams, whatever the # is classified under national security and will never be used. You know just an excuse to drain the tax payer from his last penny before the world fascist dictatorship takes effect!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
First of all if the government waits till the last moment to tell everyone that means it was planned that way ON PURPOSE. They might as well not tell us at all about their satanic rituals. The people who say use nukes are either misinformed or want to make things much worse. Most of the nukes will miss and those that explode will pollute the atmosphere with radiation.

From a momentarily glance at the thread I can tell its disinformation. That is why it got less than 10 flags.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

I always pictured multiple space shuttles flying up next to it then doing multiple things.

1. Launch rubber* booster rocket at it to push it off course.
2. Match it's speed, somehow attach rockets to it to push it off course by remote controlling the boost.
3. Shoot something extremely heavy at it...if it wasn't 5 miles wide of course.
4. They interviewed a guy at Nasa once who said they had thought of sending rockets around it to change its gravity/orbit.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Perhaps we could ask the aliens amongst us to help, they may have the technology which would save us?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I don't believe anything could be done about it. Shoemaker-Levy impacting Jupiter showed us what happens when an object is broken up, it simply lines up one right after the other pieces, and still hits anyway. Sure, its now not one big object, but a bunch of smaller objects, that still collectively do the same damage. The gravity attraction of the objects still remain, and they will be drawn into the Earth anyway. May as well just party til the end. And it would be the end for most of us.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
I wonder what our past civilizations did?

they died! its why they are called "past" civilizations

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by kennvideo
reply to post by Nostalgic

Observe, it's these members I am looking for... thank you for being serious.... KP

No problem, OP. Happy to contribute. Of course my only star is from the OP himself, while the post above mine about setting up a trampoline to bounce the meteor back into space is cruisin' right past 15 stars already. Just goes to show you where the integrity of ATS is headed, as it seems far more beneficial to poke fun and toss around jokes these days.

Oh well. Interesting post, regardless of what appears to be a lack of seriousness being taken.

Cheers
edit on 25-3-2012 by Nostalgic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jb1958
I don't believe anything could be done about it. Shoemaker-Levy impacting Jupiter showed us what happens when an object is broken up, it simply lines up one right after the other pieces, and still hits anyway. Sure, its now not one big object, but a bunch of smaller objects, that still collectively do the same damage. The gravity attraction of the objects still remain, and they will be drawn into the Earth anyway. May as well just party til the end. And it would be the end for most of us.

Dead Wrong! A bunch of smaller objects, regardless how many, will never do the same damage as one large 5 mile boulder due to the accumulation of mass in one target area versus the dispersion of mass into multiple target areas.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I'd call up Virgin Mobile and say "How much per seat now?"

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nostalgic

Originally posted by kennvideo
reply to post by Nostalgic

Observe, it's these members I am looking for... thank you for being serious.... KP

No problem, OP. Happy to contribute. Of course my only star is from the OP himself, while the post above mine about setting up a trampoline to bounce the meteor back into space is cruisin' right past 15 stars already. Just goes to show you where the integrity of ATS is headed, as it seems far more beneficial to poke fun and toss around jokes these days.

Oh well. Interesting post, regardless of what appears to be a lack of seriousness being taken.

Cheers
edit on 25-3-2012 by Nostalgic because: (no reason given)

Well if you can't pass anti-piracy bills that would eventually put a lid on free thinking, then the next best thing to do is pay hordes of unemployed useless eaters/idiots tax payer money to poke fun at posters and derail serious discussions.

Its not rocket science and yes I share your frustration!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Now this is the first intelligent hypothetical responce!

A one week time spand is basicly a death sentance Imo.
It would take more than a week to get the proper rockets and equiptment together and prepaired to deflect something of that size.
I would think the sensible thing to do would be to ATTEMPT to deflect its currant path of impact.
Either by the explosion impact waves, or by a timed and controlled MASSIVE rocket to add momentum to the mass to speed up the mass to change its course from impact?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
well if you detect it when its far enough out you could deflect it would go by us but there is a certain piont when it would be to late if you blow it up you have a bunch of little chunks that would be almost as bad as a hole rock ect ect ect you see where im getting at here

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

That's why they are "past" civilizations because they couldn't have done anything to stop it and got wiped out.

It will just have to be blown out of the sky, there is no other option.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Aim every single particle laser on the planet onto the same spot and hope we hit something that will slowly melt or cause some kind of outgassing to incrementally shift it's trajectory.
or, throw a few automated j.c..b's onto it to remove mass and chuck it into space, changing its trajectory.

Or, Get the shuttle out of mothballs fill the cargo bay with nukes and park it inside it somewhere or fill the cargobay with liquid fuel and use the shuttle as an out board motor.

and get bruce willis ready, just in case.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join