It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Is Headed For Earth And Will Hit In 7 Days... What Could Be Done?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
Why could you not shoot an ICBM into space? they usually have reentry vehicles right? [MIRV's]
As in, re-enter the atmosphere, why not direct the MIRV's further into space, they have already escaped gravity..
If they can send a Voyager in 1977 into [deep] space why couldn't they send an MIRV into [inter] stellar space 35 years later..
Also, could they not think of something like a proton collider or a rail gun?
edit on 24-3-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

Not sure if this would work, but I can point out guidance would be a challenge without GPS. Some different type of guidance system modification would be required. Although purely inertial navigation is an option (and would probably require only software changes)

Actually, the thought of our lives depending on the work of a programmer under a strict deadline gives me the chills

-rrr

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

Don't scare me like that!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

If they haven't figured out how to stop it by now, considering that there are only 7 days left, then I would guess that we are all screwed.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

With that little time, my vote would for sure be to try and fragment it with as many nukes as possible, right at the outer edges of the atmosphere- as far away as they can possibly, but reliably, hit it. As a last ditch effort, the scene won't be pretty, but there are some advantages to this.

1) Fragmenting the thing as much as possible may increase the number of objects coming at us, but if we left something that big to hit us at once, the impact would be catastrophic. The lesser of the two evils is fragments, no matter how you slice it. Smaller objects will do less damage.

2) By fragmenting it as much as possible, and if possible, BEFORE it reaches our atmosphere, we by default take advantage of the natural burn that is going to occur by the objects going through the atmosphere, reducing their size. For smaller fragments, that may prove entirely effective, and they might burn up altogether.

3) By blowing it up far enough out, some of the fragments may get deflected enough to avoid a collision course with earth entirely.

But yeah, there is still the problem of the fragments that are left, on collision course. I still maintain that what is left is the lesser of two evils, no matter where it hits. And if a secondary round of kinetic energy warheads were directed at the next biggest fragments, assuming those could be tracked, perhaps the damage could be reduced further.

Hitting the thing the furthest out possible is critical. My vote is for each major country to develop a weapon such as this for this purpose. An asteroid killer that can make it into space pretty far. With a little imagination, the firings and assessments can be timed, with each successive strike whittling the thing down into a toothpick. If we are about to become extinct, no question gotta pull out all the stops. Even if we just succeed to become ALMOST extinct when it's all said and done, we still succeeded. And good luck to those that are left. A prompt viewing of "The Colony" is recommended- if you can find a working TV and DVD player that is....

edit on Sat Mar 24th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Build a giant Tennis racket

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Actually, here's one thing we can do.

Instead of directly impacting nuclear missiles, why explode nuclear missiles next to the asteroid and let the force of the blast move them out of the way?

Has anybody thought of that option?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
You would think most governments are prepared for this scenario, my guess would be you'd have to send a manned crew near the object to desinigrate it, unless you could send a rocket but there would be many issues with that

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennvideo
There are many great thinkers, problem solvers and out of the box minds here on ATS... but most of all, many of you are knowledgeable about what I am going to ask.
Say a meteor is heading straight for earth. Its wing span is five miles wide and two miles high and will arrive in one week. We have a general area, say the central Atlantic that will be its target. Is this ANY WAY, with what we humans have on hand, to either slingshot it away from us or destroy it completely? This may seem like a silly game to some. I just want the interested ones to give some answers and thought to this predicament I propose. A meeting of the minds I will say. Because God forbid this would actually occur... We would need many fine minds to come up with answers. As I said, ATS has very, very inventive and learned minds as members. Thank you for your considering to post real proposals and not jokes.

If you choose to answer with something, thank you for your time and thought... KP
immpossable to answer unless we know the makeup of the meteor.Is is solid rock or iron some other type of mettall.Or is it soft an porous some meterors alnoxt have the consistensy of cotton candy. So without the material of the object youe describeing.The question you require an answer for is immpossable need more data.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

launch nuclear weapons towards the atmosphere and the world believes its going for a rock in space?

edit on 24-3-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by fusionhunter
Not much except hide or evacuate.
Imagine being in a space station and seeing a meteor hit the earth.
Yup quite a veiwe an then realise that if there ar any survivers left on Planet Earth .They have just been knocked back to the stone age.That means no rescue mission to come save you.No resupply rockets comeing again ever, Limited amout of food water an Air.An no way to return to Mother Earth.Not that you would want to seeing itl just be a rock of molten lava at this point.Sobering thought that long after the Pyramids are dust an all sign that mankind even existedin this univese.There will be a tiny little golf ball lieing on the moon ,Just as in good shape the factoty made,Imagine alein space travellers billions of years on the future finding that golf ball an trying to figure out what it is?Maybe theyl think its an egg an try an hatch it.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Are you forgeting teslas deathray
It can reach hundreds of thousand of miles.

The things you dont know about Earths deep space defenses would blow your damned mind.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ringlejames

As I said.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Please tell me that NASA has this figured out already! All the technological advances we have in our lives! Please tell me they already know how to handle an asteroid. I like the trampoline idea. Or we could sew a bunch of those Gladd trash bags together, you know, the ones that don't rip. Hook them to four jets and they can catch it like a baseball mitt and slingshot it back out to space! Sorry...I'm no rocket scientist. Again, please tell me they already have a way.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
We really need to build a big baseball bat to put in space. It could be paid for by adding a tax to Stadium tickets. Need a pro ball player to run the controls, get the tennis shoe endorsement money for that to help pay too.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xxSouthernGirlxx

Well, their working on it now. They said it'll take about five years to figure out if they can push one out of the way and another ? to design and build a craft. They were too busy playing with the shuttle to do anything practical before, they got time to work on it now since their program got defunded. Obama told them to find a way to do something about asteroid threats. Geese, you mean no other government official ever thought to ask them if they could do something like that. All fun, no work makes a NASA official a good golfer. I bet they design a big space putter for the job.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I've got a question. Does anyone know if nuclear weapons work in space? There's no Oxygen out there or any atmosphere to work with. Can a nuclear reaction work with nothing to react with? Will it just pop?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Ghostbusters and the Stay puff marshmellow man in a rocket and pooof it would be scared out of the galaxy.
Wait, are all of the ghostbusters still alive.......New thread ....Where are the ghostbusters when you need them.
Who are you gonna call.......................

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxSouthernGirlxx
Please tell me that NASA has this figured out already! All the technological advances we have in our lives! Please tell me they already know how to handle an asteroid. I like the trampoline idea. Or we could sew a bunch of those Gladd trash bags together, you know, the ones that don't rip. Hook them to four jets and they can catch it like a baseball mitt and slingshot it back out to space! Sorry...I'm no rocket scientist. Again, please tell me they already have a way.
Love to be able to tell you all that stuf but time is a facror .If we had hundreds of years advance warning wich is possable then we may be able to take action. On the other hand an asteroid or Meteoeor could be aproaching us from the far side of the sun .Wich means we would never see it untill it untill it was more or less on top of us leaveing us months or weeks .And it would be impossable to take any avoidance action. In this case an I M O This most humane thing to do would say absulutely nothing to the worlds population.jUST LET US LIVE OUT OUR LAST DAYS IN INB/NORRANT BLISS..Rather than the panic an pandimonium looting rape murder that would surely break out if they simply anounced . The Earth is going to be hit by an object 170 miles in diamiter in 6 weeks time .Unfourtunately this rock has been sheilded by the sun an we is all gonna die .Thaank you an good night an try not to worry .

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennvideo
There are many great thinkers, problem solvers and out of the box minds here on ATS... but most of all, many of you are knowledgeable about what I am going to ask.
Say a meteor is heading straight for earth. Its wing span is five miles wide and two miles high and will arrive in one week. We have a general area, say the central Atlantic that will be its target. Is this ANY WAY, with what we humans have on hand, to either slingshot it away from us or destroy it completely? This may seem like a silly game to some. I just want the interested ones to give some answers and thought to this predicament I propose. A meeting of the minds I will say. Because God forbid this would actually occur... We would need many fine minds to come up with answers. As I said, ATS has very, very inventive and learned minds as members. Thank you for your considering to post real proposals and not jokes.

If you choose to answer with something, thank you for your time and thought... KP

If the impact would cause world wide anarchy:

While everyone else stocks up on stuff that'll run out in months - I'd stock up on books about smelting, basic agriculture, herbal remedies, basic school books (engrish, math, etc), raising domesticated animals, Bible, etc... If it is our time to go, we'd need to preserve our future with the basics and plan anew.

We'd see the multiple eden 'project' fulfill itself (Larry Niven) on a non interstellar aspect, but on a Terran one.

...I'd stock up on all the ammo I can get too - just in case.

But if the impact isn't a wipe out the most of the population event, I'd say all we can do is bunker down and hope that we can recover. We can not deter an impact that is due within 7 days with our current public technology. Nukes wouldn't work in time and would create a shot gun effect of greater carnage that could spread over land instead of the ocean.

Our only hope with the 7 day window would to be move and prepare...but most of the population is on the east coast so moving would be a nightmare. The African nations would also be F'd. England would also be in chaos.

We'd be F'd in the A with this impact.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If the meteor has a magnetic field perhaps we could fracture it using nukes to achieve smaller densities followed by a haarp activated atmosphere to repel the object. Like poles repel each other. Could haarp be used to create an artificial magnetic pole?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join