It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Is Headed For Earth And Will Hit In 7 Days... What Could Be Done?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
7 days, miles wide?
I would get a tent and a 3 year supply of dried foods.
Stop by at a Wal Mart and pick up some ammo and a gun or two.
I would head to the highest mountain and find a cave,
Then i would settle in an hibernate for a year or two and lay low while the world burns.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
After reading the comments I think altering the path of an incoming asteroid might work better than attempting to destroy it. If you were to break up an asteroid with a nuclear detonation, you still might have to contend with the incoming fragments. In addition, some scientists say that such a shattered asteroid would re-form due to gravity in a matter of hours.
I guess 7 days was not fair. We would see it earlier as many of you noted. So, what if it were say two or three months? What could we do with existing tech or put together? Lasers wouldn't work... I mean that would have to be one powerful mother to knock it off course wouldn't it?
And again, I want to thank all you great ATS members that are contributing and actually giving thought to your answers and not just trying to be a writer for SNL or Letterman...you are people I would enjoy to meet and talk to.

edit on 24-3-2012 by kennvideo because: add

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I personally would stand in my yard with a stern finger towards the sky...
And cuss it... Oh i would cuss and cuss and as a saying around here goes...
I would simply "Cuss it to pieces"

Problem solved...

If the cussing didnt work... I would pray that it hit Iran

Sorry Iran... I dont much like you anyways... Nothing personal.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Not much except hide or evacuate.
Imagine being in a space station and seeing a meteor hit the earth.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Only a Rail Gun has the velocity to blow one to bits small enough that the rest will burn up in the atmosphere. We currently do not have one big enough, or do we? lol. The Rocket City Rednecks did a show about this or a comet. Nukes wont push anything away because of the vacuum of space and the object is going to be traveling like 20,000 miles per hour. Nukes may crack it if they hit it with bunker buster warheads with the power of the Tsar bomb but that would probably make the situation a lot worse.

They catapulted frozen watermelons at a lay out of earth in prospective. They tried everything but it was only the high powered rifle and his dads amazing shooting ability that blew the Melon to very small bit.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
title is misleading.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Fly Mir into it... :O

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Panic sex!

Second.
edit on 24-3-2012 by ddaniel because: emphasis

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
7 days.
1 meteor.
no known tech that could stop, deflect or destroy the meteor.

hug the ones that truly love you. and let it be what it is.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think Tsar bombing an object of that size would create a hundred+ moderate meteors to rain down on individual cities.

it would spread out the damage zone, if we trade that type of quick short-term mass loss in exchange for the 1/8 of the planet destroying intial meteor then yes Tsar bombing would be a good last ditch effort for continuity.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I don't worry about that stuff because Earth is a monitored Planet and the Beings observing will take care of it as they always have

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

I'be been curious about just such things before. Would 7 days be enough? Would "The Powers That Be" know if they had the right equipment? Would there be enough time to create the proper dynamic?

My vote is a course change with either having a large object thrust into it, or a blast of some sort. But--would it be enough?

I have also wondered about looting, barbaric behaviors and what would become the trade good? Would life become a hedonistic free for all?

Personally, I think an event like that would be stunning to see.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennvideo
I was hoping the clowns and chuckle getters wouldn't show up... I am really let down that when putting forth a question and specifically requesting no jokes some members must act like buffoons.... That's really sad...

And terrible jokes I might add. Some people believe that they are comedians and that clearly is only in their own minds. ~SheopleNation

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

You think... with over 5k nukes 10k probably combines with the entire world, they wont use it?

If the rock meant extinction, rest assured the elites will fire all their arsenal at that rock.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
I don't worry about that stuff because Earth is a monitored Planet and the Beings observing will take care of it as they always have

That is a real happy thought. What I wonder is though, did the Dinosaurs believe the same thing? I mean, If there are reptillian Gods, then maybe so? Even if the Dinosaurs could not comprehend such an event, Surely their reptillian masters would try to protect them? ~SheopleNation

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I can't say anyone would know but I bet they have something in orbit that can handle meteors and small asteroids.
You know we have moved on from nukes and have much stronger things now,because that is what they do. I bet they even have a plan to blow up the moon,if they want to.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RisenAngel77

You think... with over 5k nukes 10k probably combines with the entire world, they wont use it?

If the rock meant extinction, rest assured the elites will fire all their arsenal at that rock.

No, The Elite would move down to their bunkers. Know why? Because those ICBM's are not designed to endure and travel through the intense heat of Earth's atmosphere. It all sounds good, but we will never deflect a comet or asteroid anytime soon. Now in the future? That's a realistic possibility. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
7 days is not nearly enough to do anything but pray.

A couple of months might give us the chance to try some of the nuclear scenarios, which would be a really desperate move with consequences far beyond the impact timeframe as mentioned previously.

I personally would say farewell to the friends, burn the second floor of my house to simulate an abandoned place and teach my wife and kids to stay really silent for the next few years until the unprepared folk vanishes away, that will give me ample time to plan the next steps.

WM

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Leave it alone.

Let it kill everyone on this damn rock!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think Tsar bombing an object of that size would create a hundred+ moderate meteors to rain down on individual cities.

I'd thought about that and why I'd looked so hard into fireball size which, as I understand things, is the size of the area that essentially vaporizes. The outer ring as shown on the Paris map would be more the blasted into pieces range, as I'm reading it. So... a few of these? Heck, like I said though, the blow back from the detonations at only 600-700 miles over our heads would probably be worse than the object just coming on in for a clean impact. At that size, anyway.....

I couldn't find anything about Nuclear detonations in space. Has anyone seen anything suggesting a space nation might have tried one away from Earth somewhere along the way? I'm just wondering, if something at 50 Megatons did that inside the atmosphere...I wonder if it would be fatally out of the question as a space detonation that close, anyway.

Of course this is all speculating about weapons that we know once existed, but aren't supposed to exist anymore anyway. It's probably moot. Without the insanely big ones like Tsar Bomba and the fireball radius of a couple miles...I don't see it working either.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join