It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Is Headed For Earth And Will Hit In 7 Days... What Could Be Done?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Nostalgic makes very similar points to where I was going to go. I have read and seen stuff in this field, and although many possible resolutions spring to mind, it would be very interesting to see what would actually be attempted, or would we just resort to trying to blow the crap out of it?
Unfortunately, I expect this is exactly what we would resort to doing, (too many people are proven to be trigger happy in times of crisis), which as is widely known, would be the worst thing to do, least of all because it then creates many more times the number of possible collisions both in the immediate and intermediate future.
Wiki give a comprehensive list of avoidance tactics, but I doubt many of them would be viable with only a week to act.
en.wikipedia.org...
Interesting and thought provoking subject; surely if it was to come to fruition, it would put a whole load of other "issues" into perspective.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

Utilize the HAARP system like a giant tractor beam to repel the object. They have done this 3 times so far I think...

No need to worry about Meteors

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
No meteor will hit us.. People need to stop being paranoid.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
we calculate where its going to land and put all the movies stars, politicians, bankers, lawyers and zionists under it to soften the blow

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nuker

Its not paranoia.

Its discussing preparedness for a known phenomena. No different to a Tornado. Objects like this have hit before and will again.

The only difference is the frequency of occurrence and severity.

As a species we should be taking this seriously. That we prefer to ignore it just shows how small and foolish we are.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
7 days is definitely not long enough to do anything about it.

so when this actually does happen, send chuck norris
edit on 24-3-2012 by choos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Read the damn thread kid!

and you need to stop talking smack.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

They have in the past, many many times.

While I agree about the constant paranoia, this isn't one of those cases.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nostalgic
1) Focused Solar Energy
2) Kinetic Force
3) Nuclear Weapons
4) Rocket Motor

You only have 7 days though according to the OP, so none of these would work.

1) Focused Energy- It would take time to build such a device, and it would have to be space-based in order to hit the object without interference from the rotation of the earth. Even if you could get it built, and launched in 7 days (which would never happen), it would take a lot longer then 7 days to have any significant affect on overcoming the objects inertia.

2) Kinetic Force- Again your going to have to hit it multiple times with something significant to overcome the inertia, and your going to have to intercept it far away from the planet. ATM, we are limited on the space vehicles that can accomplish this. We are also limited on the number of them that could be assembled and launched in a quick succession. Chances of getting a vehicle together, planning the mission, assembling the rocket, configuring the payload, moving it to the launch pad, fueling it, and launching it in that amount of time are extremely slim.

3)Nuclear Weapons- Our current arsenal that is configured to carry nuclear weapons is limited to trident, and Minuteman rockets, these have a max orbit altitude of 700 miles.

4) You'd have to design and build a ship that can carry a manned mission to the asteroid, deploy the engines, and have enough time to allow the engines to overcome the objects inertia. On top of that you somehow have to come up with a fuel source for those engines to provide enough delta-v to move that object a significant degree.

Again, your only option with 7 days time would be to evacuate areas where the object would cause significant damage. 7 days is just not enough time to significantly overcome the inertia of such an object, nor to build or launch anything that could do it.
edit on 3/24/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
we calculate where its going to land and put all the movies stars, politicians, bankers, lawyers and zionists under it to soften the blow

Hey, that may actually work...
All the hot air rapidly rising into the upper atmosphere might just be enough to repel it back into space.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Other than the other projects listed, in the vein of nukes which we have plenty of ... There's:

Project Orion

This was a proposed method of nuclear propulsion where you basically detonate bombs behind you ride the blast wave and keep detonating them.

Project Orion was a study of a spacecraft intended to be directly propelled by a series of explosions of atomic bombs behind the craft (Nuclear pulse propulsion). Early versions of this vehicle were proposed to have taken off from the ground with significant associated nuclear fallout; later versions were presented for use only in space

Problems with this would necessarily sound on the meteor object's composition and density.
Still, shockwave guidance timed to prod and coax the object off course would likely be more succesful than trying to blow it to zillions of pieces of unpredictable and potentially deadly shrapnel.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Get Chuck Norris to stand at the point of impact...it'll turn away...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Simply us there Scalar Intertherometers that Tesla was allready building in the 20s/30s to vaporize them from a distance. Just my opinion.
edit on 24-3-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
There is pretty much nothing we can do, 7 days is not enough time to logistically plan anything. Let alone get it into action, and that even includes the simplest of strategies, moving populations..

I'm not sure I agree with that. Chances are always greatest for a water landing, simply do to the percentage of water vs land on the earths surface. That means that most of your populations will have to move inland from the body of water that is going to be struck. Considering that most people who live on water are used to evacuating under short notice due to the occurrence of hurricanes, I believe that if 7 days notice was given the majority of folks could be relocated inland. If you close your coastward bound traffic lanes, and open both sides of your expressways up to move inland, you can move a large volume of folks in a big hurry, as long as you keep the lanes free of disabled vehicles. Hell, with seven days most people could probably walk the required distance.

I'd only be afraid of them not telling us because of the large number of refugees, and insurance claims that would require vast amounts of money that the country just does not have ATM.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

Say a meteor is heading straight for earth. Its wing span is five miles wide and two miles high and will arrive in one week.

Say?

Isn't this the title of your thread?

Meteor Is Headed For Earth And Will Hit In 7 Days... What Could Be Done?

Is there a new trend of misleading titles on ATS or something?
You posted this in the Fragile Earth forum, maybe if it would've been in Skunk Works.....

Why, why, why.....waste of time.

Have fun.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

Don't tell me how to propose my question and I won't tell you most members here don't give a care as to what you have to say AND the real Dr. Cosma is a proctologist in Butte, Montana.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Aim all the HAARP arrays at one point and battle it out plasma style

maybe a nuke or two to soften it up a bit.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

True, I guess, but I don't have as much confidence in both the people who know about any such events relaying it to us in a timely manner (especially if all it will cause is mass panic) OR the ability of the average citizen en route to an evacuation point/safe zone to do so and not panic about it on the way, creating havoc for all they encounter.

I also do not know just how far inland the event would go. I'm anticipating a lot more than tsunami events. A lot would still be regurgitated into the atmosphere, and this would impact globally?

I think about driving home through the city after a sporting event... it's akin to driving standing still. I cannot think how bad gridlock would be in a world changing catastrophe.

I have worked in places that have been told of situation about to happen (in a technological sense, not catastrophic) and even we could not cater to every thing that may happen, ensuring our network at the time was not hindered. And it was. And we had months. Point is, the best planned strategy fell to shreds once it came into play.

7 days for me, means panic sex time, and a very obnoxiously loud stereo playing "It's the end of the world as we know it." on repeat

I'm still heading out to the POI. Better to make sure I go with a smile, than running with the crowd and seeing the worst of it all.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Seven days would not be enough time to do anything, if your idea happens at present day.

However, you have also indicated that this is a massive object at 5 miles in one axis and 2 miles in another axis.

It would be detected well before 1 week before impact, even now.

As you can see, many of the answers given are the same: not enough time. However, earlier detection, and we might have time to react or do something about it. And as for doubts about detecting it so far out, might I draw your attention to 99942 Apophis ? And it was discovered it's path would bring it very close to Earth in 2029 back in 2004, and it's only 350 meters wide.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Why could you not shoot an ICBM into space? they usually have reentry vehicles right? [MIRV's]
As in, re-enter the atmosphere, why not direct the MIRV's further into space, they have already escaped gravity..
If they can send a Voyager in 1977 into [deep] space why couldn't they send an MIRV into [inter] stellar space 35 years later..
Also, could they not think of something like a proton collider or a rail gun?
edit on 24-3-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join