It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would North Korea be better off without a dictatorship?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Would North Korea be better off without a dictatorship?

I say this because everyone thinks King Jon Il was a bad guy for letting his people starve, which he was.
But look at the nations that have got a ‘democracy’ and just as many people are starving.
North Korea is not a nation the west would allow to prosper even if they did install their own dictator so I think that while what the people of North Korea have gone through is bad.. It could have been a lot worse.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

Everyone would be better off without a dictator.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrioticPony
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

Everyone would be better off without a dictator.
Well if you mean the west as well then I agree.

But if you don't consider the west to be under a dictatorship the fact is that they would not be better off with 'democracy'..

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I think it's a fair question and a controversial answer. In Band of Brothers, there was a very difficult scene when they depicted the Americans first liberating a Concentration Camp. It was of the soldiers giving the prisoners all kinds of food and canteens of water and then having to take it all right back from starving people. I'd read about this in books on WW-II as well and thought the movie depiction was very interesting. If they ate too fast or drank too much after having nothing for so long, it might have actually killed them. Medically...killed them.

I think the FLOOD of democracy into Eastern Europe and especially Russia after the fall of the wall in 89 turned out to be as much a curse as a blessing. I think the North Koreans really need what the world can give......but we have to show some mercy too..

A little....Slowly...over time. Not a flood that puts them right into shock. Remember, some of these folks...heck, most of them..have no idea the outside world even exists as we all think of it. Their whole nation is THAT closed.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I hear what your saying, but it seems we have tried that before with other nations and it didn't really work. Sure we might help them for a year or so but what about after that..
With the democracy most people would like to bring to NK comes more problems then you can poke a stick at.

most of them..have no idea the outside world even exists as we all think of it. Their whole nation is THAT closed.

Sometimes I think this wouldn't be such a bad thing.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
There is no telling the outcome of democracy in North Korea. If it is anything like the sham that they call democracy around the world then it will probably cause some to prosper at the expense of the masses, more expense than the prosperity of the dictator has caused them.

What would help North Korea greatly,would be to lift the trade embargoes that are stopping them from being able to sufficiantly feed their people.

new topics

top topics

join