It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney: Bush, Not Obama, Saved the Economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

"I keep hearing the president say that he's responsible for keeping America from going into a Great Depression," Romney said. "No, no, no. That was President George W. Bush and [then-Treasury Secretary] Hank Paulson."

Though Romney has previously spoken in support of the Troubled Asset Relief Program, the full-throated defense, and the credit he gave to Bush, were surprising and seemed to open a new front in what's likely to be a major theme of the general election -- the relitigating of Bush's record in office. Democrats frequently point to Bush's policies as the source of the economy's continued tribulations, while Republicans say Obama hasn't done enough, or hasn't done the right things, to turn it around.

During the 2008 crash, Romney said, "President Bush and Hank Paulson said, 'We've got to do something to show we're not going to let the whole system go out of business.' I think they were right. I know some people disagree with me, but I think they were right to do that."

www.theatlantic.com...

IDIOT. He's a damned idiot!! How could anyone say something so incredibly stupid? Bush left this economy in complete peril...yet Moneybags Romney makes him out to be a hero????

UNBELIEVABLE.
edit on 23-3-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
What is even more surprising is that Bush and gang never saw the danger coming until they started screaming that the sky is falling.

Romney 2012

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

YEA and Beavis and Butthead was responsible for us achieving space exploration as well as creating the wheel, and eventually world peace.

What a DAMNED FOOL.

A DAMNED FOOL.
edit on 23-3-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
is all I have to say.

Yeah this guys gonna win the presidency....

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I thought we were already in a great depression because of Obama? This is what Republicans are implying and now, behold, the economy ain't so bad, thanks to Bush.

Is Romney trying to get an endorsement from Bush, because I'd fully support this.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yeah, his Goldman Sachs buddy Hank Paulson is a frickin hero!! We should put up a statue in his honor. Let's add him to Mount Rushmore...him and Bush!!

Great savers of the economy!!!!

He's said some asinine things in the past....but this takes the cake.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
What's even more hilarious is that a week ago, Romney said that the "bailout" of the banks was a terrible idea, and criticized Obama about it. Now he's saying it worked while Bush was in office and praising him for it?

romney isn't dumb, he's just saying whatever the # he wants to to get elected. Do you know how many lies he's said thus far? I'd say he's going for the record for most lies said in an election. He's probably already won. He has a lot of competition from Gingrich though.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Bush helped people like Mitt. For Mitt, Bush is a Savior. Mitt is so disconected from mainstreet America. I cannot believe he is going to win the republican nomination.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

IDIOT. He's a damned idiot!! How could anyone say something so incredibly stupid? Bush left this economy in complete peril...yet Moneybags Romney makes him out to be a hero????

Absolutely an IDIOT. Just like Obama,saying we are not in our own Depression,or the economy is making a rebound.

In the first 2 ½ years of the Reagan recovery, the American economy created 8 million new jobs, the unemployment rate fell by 3.6 percentage points, real wages and incomes were jumping, and poverty had reversed an upsurge started under Carter, beginning a long-term decline. While Obama crows about 227,000 jobs created last month, in September, 1983 the Reagan recovery less than a year after it began created 1.1 million jobs in that one month alone. In the second year of the Reagan recovery, real economic growth boomed by 6.8%, the highest in 50 years.

In contrast, under President Obama, unemployment actually rose after June 2009, when NBER counts the recession as officially ending, and did not fall back down below that level until 18 months later in December 2010. Instead of a recovery, America has suffered the longest period of unemployment this high since the Great Depression. Even today, 51 months after the recession started, the U6 unemployment rate counting the unemployed, underemployed, and discouraged workers is still nearly 15%.

And that doesn't include all the workers who have fled the workforce under Obama's economic oppression. Under Obama's supposed recovery, the number of working age Americans not in the labor force rose by 7.14 million. As John Lott and Grover Norquist recently observed, "There is no comparable post-World War II 'recovery' where this type of exodus has occurred."

The Worst Economic Recovery Since the Great Depression,And all of it a preview of the Great Reelection Crash of 2013.

If your going to call Romney an Idiot,at least call the President a bigger idiot.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The economy is not saved, nor are we out of danger. Infact, our current debt to GDP ratio is now worse than in the great depression.

This depression just isn't as socially romantic as the great depression.

All three of them are idiots, and Romney actually thinking we've somehow recovered means he has no problem incurring more debt, and probably has no plans to lower federal expenditure if he ever got elected (if there is a God, the non-election of Mitt Romney is a good demonstration, but the election of Barack Obama is an equally good refutation).
edit on 23-3-2012 by imherejusttoread because: syntax.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I sincerely believe that the Republicans have absolutely no intentions whatsoever of taking over the white house next election.

Second point: What I just read in that ... you know .... and then there is ... ... Come to think about it these politicians don't ... I think my neurons are misfiring after having read that quote from the article.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
He saved us from those evil-doers

FACT!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

So... Obama allowed the bail-outs so he's bad but Bush initiated the process so he's... good? I guess if his target audience right now is Santorum supporters, maybe logic doesn't even need to enter the equation.

I can't tell if he's dumb or smart.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars
I sincerely believe that the Republicans have absolutely no intentions whatsoever of taking over the white house next election.

I think you are spot on. I have thought that since the GOP started naming possibilities. Too much extreme viewpoints being proliferated (which dominate the airwaves to huge and unfortunate distraction). It smelled like an intentional circus ever since I learned of Gingrich (his past indiscretions automatically disqualify him despite the rigged primaries).

That said...I wonder why they are throwing the race...long term goals or something different?

On topic - Romney is a freaking fool in context. But he does have a huge bank account and that makes him a viable concern - especially since he is tight with the bush family. But then again, he was mentioned as a possible Presidential candidate years ago...so maybe someone really thought they could pass off the douche...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It appears that Gov. Romney is correct, the just released shortened Fed Audit clearly show the transactions that "saved the world" and U.S economies clearly happened before Obama came to power. President Bush is a Harvard MBA; President Obama is a soon to be failed Constitutional Scholar.

For those that would like to read the Federal Report here is the link. [url=http://www.sanders.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/GAO%20Fed%20Investigation.pdf]

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well looking at the crew Obama had both utilized on his economic team and who had waiting in the wings, Bush had his act together. Remember Corzine??? Now there are e-mails with him diverting customer funds contrary to what he claimed under oath! One of the many great minds Obama liked to mention. More graft has been going on with this administration then the last. Just it gets swept under the rug. They say you can weigh a man by the company he keeps and well lots of straight out liars keep Obama company. The other liar in our "justice" dept has been doing his damn best to keep the truth about his role in the F&F scandal out of the light. I can understand that lots of you hate Bush with a passion, just understand what you claim to hate Bush for is what others are hating Obama for.

new topics

top topics

join