It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Steel (Rock n Roll Robot Boxing)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Review in a nutshell of the movie Real Steel starring Hugh Jackman, Dakota Goyo and Evangeline Lilly.

I just watched this 2 hour movie and I can honestly say this is the most kick-ass robot/boxing movie ever made. Good music, good actors and actresses and a great storyline. If you haven't seen it, make sure you do.

The robots are real and CGI so you get the best of both worlds and every robot has it's own look and character. Humanised, if you will.

The story contains elements of a road movie, a feel good movie, an action movie, a father and estranged son relationship sub-plot plus a little love element along with some well chosen music to accompany it all. A David vs Goliath film except the names are Atom and Zeus.

The robot designer is a man who worked for the creator of the Terminator robots for 25 years. The Terminator creator is unfortunately no longer with us but his legacy is living on well in this movie. Oh, and no one other than Sugar Ray Leonard was the boxing consultant on this. Kudos to all who helped make this a reality. Go see it, rent it, steal it or sneak watch it through your neighbours window.

For people that are interested in such things as ratings, it has a 7.2 on imdb.

Trailer

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Thanks for the review '___'. Have put it on my bucket list....

Des

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
"Good music, good actors and actresses and a great storyline."

Are you kidding? And people say its piracy ruining Hollywood. Its not. Its complete garbage like this movie.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Why do I bother?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Thanks!
I took my son to go see that at the theater and when it came out on dvd,we bought it.

It was a great movie,in my opinion.

I loved that little kid and Atom!
And Evangeline Lilly from the show, Lost is still hot.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

I have to have to agree with this. I tried watching it with a friend a little while ago and have to say unless you are taking your kid to this (which even for a kid is not what I would be showing them for content and quality) I don't see how any grown person would be able to "suspend disbelief". Acting was poor in my eyes, dialogue was to much "say whats happening" one liners, the female had no supporting stance on prior betrayal or even the disgusting actions of said male role model, etc.etc..

The movie is made to pull solely on emotional ques with it's many crowd scene/music scores and the manchild complex thing.

Don't get me wrong I can see the aspects of the cg, and animation of the bots was pretty amazing, and I am not trying to condemn the op, it's just that Homeslice is right in that these poorly put together movies are what is driving me from the big screen.

PS: Real Steel is Over the Top with robots instead of Sly

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GhettoRice

First and foremost the movie is pure entertainment, nowhere did I state it is a reflection of reality. I have no idea why others watch movies (I like entertainment, escapism if you will, from the humdrum of life) but if you expected some life-changing secret, revelations as to the nature of the universe or a deep philosophical insight into the state of our existence then obviously, with a plot like this you will be sorely disappointed.

As for dialogue, well, I think the above might apply just as equally. Are they going to wax lyrical, discuss metaphysics or invent a time machine? No. It's set slightly in the future but does show a little of what is already happening now, Robot Wars.

If you wanted a different kind of experience than just a little well-made fun then obviously this movie is not for you. There are many others that would fulfill that role. As for the argument that Hollywood is only producing junk, that is incorrect imho but then I loved (and love the genre too) of movies like King Kong, The Hulk, X Men, Spiderman, Superman, The Watchmen, LOTR, Avatar....among many other movies and genres. I find it easy to get into (good) movies regardless of genre but I guess others don't. I tend to drink a couple of beers (in no way drunk or anywhere near that state) and go with the flow of it all rather than watching it critically for every little flaw, inconsistency or things that "are not true". At worst it might be described as a bit of a guys film but that is about it I think.

Damn, tough crowd in here tonight.
*motions for Security...*

reply to post by kdog1982

Well, I'm glad someone enjoyed it!
Maybe I'm really just a big kid at heart but it seemed to have a good mix of things in it. I've never seen Lost so only vaguely recognised the actress but she did her part well enough I thought.

edit on 24/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Replied to previous poster too

top topics

join