It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Delete Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Those who use Facebook every day (nearing half of the US adult population) may find it difficult to disconnect. There are so many good things about the service, allowing us to stay in touch without friends. The challenge is, are they really “friends” or are they simply acquaintances that you really don’t care about and who really don’t care about you?

Never had a Facebook, MySpace or Twitter account and never will. I'm not trying to preach anything here. Watch the video and draw your own conclusions.

And just to complete this thread Im posting below this very well done video too, even knowing that most here already are familiar with.

edit on 23-3-2012 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

So what dos the lad in the second video suggest as an alternative to facebook, ...ingesting large amounts of illegal drugs? ('cause i'm pretty sure he's not sober)
edit on 23-3-2012 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

if facebook is so bad, why isn't google so bad, if google is bad, why isn't this website so bad, if this website is bad, then why isn't your computer so bad. Sometimes I wonder if they are watching me through my webcammmmmmmm

I think the internet was made by the government. If you think about it... the internet is kind of all knowing, it connects every human being with human knowledge. And knowledge, is what the "all seeing eye" is all about.

say whaaaaaa?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I had a Facebook account back in 2008. I found out that most of the crap posted is done by those douche bag friends I really don't care about - So I really didn't care about losing that 'info'. The few good friends I do have stay in contact the "old fashioned way" via email.

Sorry, but Facebook is for tweens and those wanting to have 100's of pictures of themselves. I know that's not true for everyone, but there's so many of them there...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
What if we don't use any of those acronyms and just post photos and stuffs cause we're too lazy to send them to each and every family member and friend out there?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

I'm absolutely sure that the first two responses on this thread even seen the videos. Just because there was no time for this.

Well done

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The second video is awesome.

Facebook is dehumanizing. Its also got bad sexual aspects which people haven't realized yet.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I don't have FB page...because I don't have any "friends"
kinda like it that way...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Like the people in your Signature?
Please he looks a bit tired and you accuse him of ingesting loads of drugs? (Did you notice he was in Japan or China? Jet lag maybe).
Anyhow back OT I got rid of my facebook account in 2009 because people put to much personal info in it.
I have known people get fired for what they say on facebook (calling your boss a pedo does it).
People think Iam odd because I don't use it anymore but if you tell them the reasons why they look at you odder so I just say no Iam not on it because y is not a z and z is not a monkey.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I can't understand why anyone would want a facebook in the first place.
I understand keeping in touch with people but really, if they are worth keeping in touch with, couldn't you do that with a little effort and a phone or through many other means of communication?
Looking at facebook to me is like looking at a collective of every stupid, ignorant person on the planet.

Why i hate facebook:

*Facebook sometimes destroys peoples ability to have conversations in real life. Either they spend too much time there, or are always having a facebook conversation on their phone, ignoring real conversations going on around them. These people are so obsessed with FB their life becomes a shadow to it. Conversation is almost an art form, and if you don't do it enough, you lose that ability. I know this personally from my own (voluntary) social isolation. Internet chat could never replicate the real stimulation you get from an enjoyable conversation.

*ANYONE can find you. Yes, you friended an acquaintance you used to know in Hs. Woohoo! Now prepare to never meet them in real life, and barely talk to them at all. Was putting all your info in the internet, where the whole world can see you, worth it? Now all of your crazy ex gfs/bfs can find you, stalkers, and your employer can look at your facebook. . Even with privacy features this still creates issues, and its not like people can't get around them anyway.

*What the hell are people posting on there thats so damn interesting? Even if the posters are real friends of mine, the posts are stupid and pointless. "I just took a verbal dump" Tim likes this.

Why do people think anyone cares?

*It makes people stupid. Life is short, why spend it on facebook replying to 500 word drama letters from your gf, reading chain letters from fat chick with no life, or reading about peoples trivial posts? That time could be spent reading a real book (I know, old school), being creative, or just bettering yourself in general.

*Being "facebook famous"
basically means being the biggest attention whore and having 1000s of pictures of your ugly mug making stupid duck faces

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The fact that so many people use the likes of facebook on a regular basis 'to me' just proves the lack of soul & creativity (generally) there is in the world! Much like those who sit in front of the TV all night, doing nothing with their lives! IIFF there really is a federation of planets of sorts out there, then no wonder they haven't made contact yet!!!!

peace.

dej...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jakupairs
reply to post by RUSSO

if facebook is so bad, why isn't google so bad, if google is bad, why isn't this website so bad, if this website is bad, then why isn't your computer so bad. Sometimes I wonder if they are watching me through my webcammmmmmmm

I think the internet was made by the government. If you think about it... the internet is kind of all knowing, it connects every human being with human knowledge. And knowledge, is what the "all seeing eye" is all about.

say whaaaaaa?

It was made by the government, don't let Al Gore fool ya.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jakupairs
reply to post by RUSSO

The internet was made by the government (look up ARPANET).

And if you're so worried about your webcam then just do what I do, cover it with duct or electrical tape when you're not using it. I never use mine so I covered it with black electrical tape.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Perhaps the "reverse mentality" would be better. As in... anyone willing to be my friend on FB ends up getting my feed and lets me look at their lives for my own curiosity.

If there were something private/embarrassing, on-line isn't the way to discuss it privately.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing the second video,... I put in on my facebook wall

I only made mine on 2/1/12 (2112) to post about important things that I find out here and from alternative media sites that the people I know will never learn about on their own (save a couple of them) and I'm already disgusted with seeing a couple of people on my super short (

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JizzyMcButter

Imagine people in the pentagon..
"Lindsay broke up with her boyfriend today. Now its time to strike."

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by humanityisawful

hehehe,..

that would be one intense operation

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I'm probably having a tough time getting work because I listed my previous job titles as "test monkey" then put a status update that said "to all potential employers reading this,.. how the f*ck does any of this concern you?"

Needless to say I am unemployed, no UI and am going back home to Colorado next month to get this real life revolution started.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Those vidoes are very thought provoking. Thank you for posting them. I am tempted to post them on facebook hahahaha!

No but seriously they made me think of a news story from a couple years ago, it was about this lady whose toddler drowned in the bath tub while she was playing a game on facebook. That was when I stopped playing games on facebook. I kept thinking could this be me in the future? So addicted to a game that I would leave my child in a tub alone at all? I know how addicting games can be, when I was a teenager I was addicted to Dark Age of Camelot (It's a MMORPG) for a couple years.

I have thought about deleting my account multiple times, but I have family and friends from different states that I can't just head over to their houses for a chat you know. Most are too busy in their day to day lives for a phone call longer that ten minutes.

new topics

top topics

join