It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question For Conservatives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I put this here because I don't know what forum it would be appropriate for. If this is not the right place, would the mods move it to the appropriate forum please? Thank you.

I have a question for conservatives in America.

What exactly are you conserving?

In the past, especially during the eighties and nineties, you called yourselves conservatives because you didn't want the government to spend lots of money. It seems that today that is not true anymore, and you spend the money on par with the the liberals.

You don't want a small government, except where the corporations are concerned. You want to control people's sex lives such as making abortion illegal and making certain sexual acts (in some states) illegal.

You want to be more lenient on the rich but don't want to help the poor.

You want many laws to be based on your religion. Again, such as abortion and marriage.

So what exactly are you conserving? I don't see it.

Maybe it's time you changed your political party's name to something more appropriate. I don't have any suggestions for that, however.

So what exactly are you conserving?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Conservatives have been hijacked by progressives.

The closest person running in the GOP race to a conservative is Ron Paul.

America's populous, in general, believe what they are told on tv and through talking heads on those tv stations.
They are being pushed a progressive way of thinking, hence, most of the 'old conservatives' are now progressives.

The thing is......they dont even realize it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Conservatives want to conserve their control over other people.
Conservatives want to conserve anything that gives an advantage to conservatives.

This is what they call liberty so they must want to conserve liberty according to conservapedia.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Also conservatives, us, not the people that get put into the offices don't want the out of control spending, big government or care about peoples sex lives in their own home.

So just because the bought and paid for people claim to be conservative doesn't mean they are.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DIDtm

I suppose you mean progressives like Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich, or do you mean Rush Limbaugh??
Romney maybe? Jeb Bush?

Ron Paul is a conservative? I thought he was a RINO acting like he's a Libertarian.

What year do you believe it all went to hell in the US?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Just hadda toss in - try living under a "progressive conservative" government, as in Canada.

A walking talking irony, they are.
They were so bad, provincial p.c. parties changed their name - same garbage, tho.

Some of us refer to it as a dick tator ship.
I know the thread is on US politics, but when I saw "progressive" and "conservative" in the same sentence, couldn't help it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I am conserving my right to make my own choices as a human being for my own good will. For me and my family, personal health and security come first, at my expense. Beyond that, if you want a gun, get one, if you want to live a risky lifestyle live it, If you want to race motocross and make noise do it, because if you don't your life will have probably been wasted sitting on the internet, complaining on FOX news chat about gun toting, thug murderers and rowdy X Games alternative life-stylers. Live YOUR life and make your own decisions. Poor decisions will likely lead to failure of succeeding at Life and if you fail, so be it, it was your choices that lead you to fail. Don't blame it on lack of welfare or government help. Man up.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystrange

Originally posted by DIDtm

I suppose you mean progressives like Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich, or do you mean Rush Limbaugh??
Romney maybe? Jeb Bush?

Ron Paul is a conservative? I thought he was a RINO acting like he's a Libertarian.

What year do you believe it all went to hell in the US?

I was referring more to Santorum and Gingrich. Along with Romney.
Santorum for instance actually said the words, 'If you wand a conservative, vote for Ron Paul'.

Ron Paul is a libertarian, but when comparing what a libertarian is to what the GOP has been shoveling out lately in candidates....Paul is the true conservative.

When did it all start going to hell? I dont know. But it its obvious now.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

What exactly are you conserving?

One of the problems with conservatives is that they have allowed the liberals to define the narrative. I think this is a big mistake. Conservatives ought to be more aggressive in explaining their stances on issues.

In the past, especially during the eighties and nineties, you called yourselves conservatives because you didn't want the government to spend lots of money. It seems that today that is not true anymore, and you spend the money on par with the the liberals.

This is certainly true in Congress, so I agree with you that those so-called conservative politicians have been just as bad as the "progressives" in spending money. Part of what the Tea Party movement is saying is that the elected conservative politicians have lost their way. So I agree with you about what is happeneing. As a conservative, I certainly do not want it to be this way, but I'm not exactly winning this battle.

You don't want a small government, except where the corporations are concerned. You want to control people's sex lives such as making abortion illegal and making certain sexual acts (in some states) illegal.

I DO want small government. Corporations are not a part of government. We can talk about corporations separately if you want. i do NOT want to control people's sex lives. As far as I am concerned they can do whatever they want. I do NOT want sexual acts made illegal. That's absurd. I want government out of the bedroom, period.

Now, when you talk about abortion, you are talking about human beings here. You'd like me to think a fetus is not a human being. I rather think it is. I don't base this on religion at all. I base it on science. It's alive. I think it is alive from conception. That's not religious. It wiggles. It's alive. You'd like to make an artificial distinction that when it's in the womb, it isn't human, but when it is not, it is. But you "Progressives" are even wavering on this issue. In a recent article in the Journal of Medical Ethics, some progressive "ethicists" (which are kind of priests for the liberal left who don't believe in anything) they have decided there's no real moral difference between abortion and infanticide. So you've attempted to move the bar outside the womb. Congrats.

You want to be more lenient on the rich but don't want to help the poor.

Actually, no. I've never met a poor man who would give me a job. I want the rich to feel free to invest in America. I don't want them moving money overseas to avoid taxes. You see I know the "rich" pay most of the taxes already. In fact, here's a list from the IRS:

Top 1%: 1,399,606 returns paid $392,149mil for 20.70% AGI for 38.02% of taxes
Top 5%: 6,998,029 returns paid $213,569mil for 34.73% AGI for 58.72% share
Top 10%: 13,996,068 returns paid $721,421mil for 45.77% AGI for 69.94% of taxes
Top 25%: 34,990,145 returns paid $890,614mil for 67.38% AGI for 86.34% of taxes
Top 50%: 69,980,290 returns paid $1,003,639mil for 87.25% AGI for 97.30% of taxes
Bottom 50%: 69,980,290 returns paid $27,783 mil for 12.75% AGI for 2.59% of taxes.

So I think the poor are already being helped. If you qualify for welfare you get yer food stamps, your large screen TV, yer cable, all for nothing. So the way I see it, I'm already paying for you to do nothing. What is "poor" anyway? the average "middle class" person in Europe lives in a par with the average "poor" person in America. "Poor" is a relative term when billions of people live on a dollar a day. If you gave the income of an average "poor" welfare recipient today to a family in Somalia, they would be rich beyond their wildest dreams.

And what is "rich"? Anyone who makes more than you. If you take away the incentive to get rich, you take away the incentive to work. One of the most popular sayings in the USSR was, "I pretend to work, and they pretend to pay me." Look at the UK today. The "masses" were so upset that there were rich people in their midst that they passed inheritance taxes and income taxes so high that they erased the "rich" class in a couple of generations. Now they are all poor and the UK is a shadow of its former self. It's a sad sad place. I'm an anglophile myself. I love the place, but the poverty in that country is unreal.

You want many laws to be based on your religion. Again, such as abortion and marriage.

We already covered that, and for the record I have no religion. "Conservative" does not equate to "religion." but in terms of marriage, I don't think the government should be involved at all. Polygamy ought to be legal. You want to marry a kangaroo, go ahead. It's just that I don't want my tax money to give your "partner" extra benefits just because you are "married." I don't see a benefit to society to do that.

Out of space....

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

The thing is......they dont even realize it.
reply to post by DIDtm

...Because they're all morons. I agree Ron Paul is more inline with being conservative than any of those lock step republicans he's running against. What's sad, is the GOP has brainwashed the republican voters into thinking the other candidates are really conservatives.

new topics

top topics

join