It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese fishing boat lost at sea in tsunami found off Canada

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by AGWskeptic

I've always wondered why Greenpeace and Seasheapard do nothing about it.

1 - because it would make a real difference

...and employ several hundred people for months as they assist forensics in determining the names behind the inevitable human remains that will be in the debris field. This is going to be a bit more complicated than netting bits of smashed timber. Also, I imagine the sheer amount of material would be easiest to collect as it hits shore.

2 - its not exciting

If it was exciting, they'd already have hired a dozen old tankers and been hard at work pulling plastic out of the Pacific Garbage Patch. Estimated at 7 million tons, that should keep them busy for a few years, right?
edit on 24/3/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tired

The antique sunray kit had a jar of radium in it and some rags full of paint in it. The geiger counter went to a level that was not considered safe to live in by our standards. The Big Ben clock and the two Little Bens were in the same area. I put the sunRay kit into a crystal bowl on the Piano for a few days while I was showing others. The radiation charged the bowl up and it stayed radioactive for about a week. I also noticed that the gold rim on a different cup next to it got a charge, not the cup itself. I did research and found that if you put a piece of charcoal near radon you can pick it up with a detector on the charcoal. It works. I found that salt and sand give off radon when mixed together in a bucket in the shed. Neat toy to play with.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

I've always wondered why Greenpeace and Seasheapard do nothing about it.

1 - because it would make a real difference

...and employ several hundred people for months as they assist forensics in determining the names behind the inevitable human remains that will be in the debris field. This is going to be a bit more complicated than netting bits of smashed timber. Also, I imagine the sheer amount of material would be easiest to collect as it hits shore.

2 - its not exciting

If it was exciting, they'd already have hired a dozen old tankers and been hard at work pulling plastic out of the Pacific Garbage Patch. Estimated at 7 million tons, that should keep them busy for a few years, right?
edit on 24/3/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

They could net the garbage and pull it with 2 ships to an area where it's easier to deal with.

Similar to how they wrangle tuna.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I would guess that its a matter of footing the bill. It seems like anything can be done as long as there is money to be made. Look at the invasions of countries for one. Or for the extraction process of the mineral and oil resources for another. To many, it seems the only way is if there is a monetary gain. We pretty much all know it isn't to have a cleaner, healthier planet. Yes, I do things around my area such as planting a tree or two and collecting garbage but this is because its in my yard or I dropped the garbage. So again, if its not profitable, it most likely won't be done.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by gardCanada

I would guess that its a matter of footing the bill. It seems like anything can be done as long as there is money to be made. Look at the invasions of countries for one. Or for the extraction process of the mineral and oil resources for another. To many, it seems the only way is if there is a monetary gain. We pretty much all know it isn't to have a cleaner, healthier planet. Yes, I do things around my area such as planting a tree or two and collecting garbage but this is because its in my yard or I dropped the garbage. So again, if its not profitable, it most likely won't be done.

They have the resources, both Grepeace and SS have millions in the bank.

I agree that It's not about the money, picking up garbage isn't as sexy as chasing whaling boats.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Wowww Hawaii is going to be completely surrounded by this debris... i mean totally clogged and dumped on,, its going to wrap right around the whole chain of islands. I would be selling my property there if i had any, those islands will be a total wasteland.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The physics teacher at my high school would always ask at the beginning of the year for students to bring in clocks with glowing dials to be checked. Always found a couple hot ones. Great thing to have by your bedside.

Those dials used to painted by ladies who would use saliva to get a good point on the brush. Not good for your health.

It is surprising to me that the owner did not locate it and have it towed back before now. That thing is 200 feet long, a pretty big ship. It must be worth something.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
reply to post by rickymouse

The physics teacher at my high school would always ask at the beginning of the year for students to bring in clocks with glowing dials to be checked. Always found a couple hot ones. Great thing to have by your bedside.

Those dials used to painted by ladies who would use saliva to get a good point on the brush. Not good for your health.

It is surprising to me that the owner did not locate it and have it towed back before now. That thing is 200 feet long, a pretty big ship. It must be worth something.

Odds are the engine have been flooded with seawater for a full year.

There is value, but only as salvage.

Replacing the engines on a ship that size requires removing the decks over the engine room, it's a big undertaking. That's why you see these ship graveyards with some good looking ships getting cut up.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
well, the clean up is going to be a long, bad process.
I am thinking two things here, and I may get some hatrers on this, but, here goes: We have been distracted with the ongoing BS creating racism and prob riots will be next; anyone that is attempting to riot and create more issues in the U.S.A then we need, get arrested and have to do community service = cleaning up this waste.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Here is one of the latest reports on the drifting ship...
Apparently it will be entering US waters then what? Will it be conveniently sunk?
www.cbc.ca...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join