It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese fishing boat lost at sea in tsunami found off Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Japanese fishing boat lost at sea in tsunami found off Canada

www.king5.com

the 150-foot vessel was located drifting about 200 nautical miles off the Queen Charlotte Islands.
Japanese officials confirmed the boat was lost after the tsunami.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This is the first I saw of this discovery. Interestingly the source of the release was the office of Senator Maria Cantwell (D, WA) who reported it to KING 5 News. This will not be the last though I think it is a big ship others might be found and soon the people will have to find a way to dispose of all the debris which comes either ashore or in the shipping lanes at very least. Something needs to be done soon.

www.king5.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
It's starting.

Soon there will be debris of all kinds washing up on shores.

vid with map and size of field

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I wonder if this could be considered a nuclear wessle

I do hope its not radioactive.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If you find a boat like that can you keep it? Does finders keepers losers weepers apply?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I wonder what the debri will be contaminated with?
Radioactive, bacteria, etc -. makes one wonder if
debri should be tampered with for those who
beachcomb. Don't think I would want to be picking
up plastic bottles, toys etc off the beach at this
time.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

salvage laws may apply but i am unsure as to how that whole process works i think unless its historical or gold bullion it might go back to owners (like that gold going back to spain) but im pretty sure if you remove it from the area it might just be yours under salvage laws(does any one know if they apply to vessles that are on the beach vs recovered from open sea)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Going from Japan to Canada in a year isn't all that bad. I figured it would take longer.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I think polar bears have first claim.
For artifical pack ice!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG

Salvage laws may apply but i am unsure as to how that whole process works i think unless its historical or gold bullion it might go back to owners (like that gold going back to spain) but im pretty sure if you remove it from the area it might just be yours under salvage laws(does any one know if they apply to vessles that are on the beach vs recovered from open sea)

Under salvage laws you would have to notafie the owner that you found the vessel as it was not abandoned at sea. but is classed as a vessel lost from moorings.
The owner would be responsible for paying your towing cost to the nearest port and cost involved to return it to japan or he could just sell it in the port it was towed to.
Or more likely
The owner may also have good insurance and turn the problem over to his insurance company and the insurance company could do the same.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
It's starting.

Soon there will be debris of all kinds washing up on shores.

vid with map and size of field

News like this and the video show us all how seriously small and fragile this planet really is.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The debris shouldnt be overly radio active....It has had a year to be washed over and over while crossing the ocean...I doubt if any serious radioactivity would last the journey as debris........

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Relieved to know there is some plans in place regarding the clean-up though we'll be at the mercy of how to dispose of it when it is gathered up. Good addition to the article!

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Just use a geiger counter to check if these things are radioactive. I bought a survey meter from GSA Auctions for thirty five bucks about three years ago. Works great. I was suprised how many radioactive things I have in the house. A compass, two baby ben clocks, one big ben clock and an antique Solar watch dial painting kit. The basement was pretty hot in one area. Neat toy and necessary around here if you collect rocks.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

why do you think the basement had a hot spot?
I have a military compass that is quite hot, the luminous paint.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
I do hope its not radioactive.

Given that the tsunami washed things out to sea BEFORE the Fukushima plant had any problems, why would you think it would be radioactive?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
as someone who lives 5 minutes from the coast which connects to the pacific
this is complete bullcrap

I don't want to have to see for the next 10 years all this stuff washing ashore.

we used to have feet washing up every so often, but this is a whole nother level,
i'm wondering what is actually going to turn up and how much.
edit on 23-3-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I wonder how all this garbage is going to affect the wildlife and our food chain..Oprah did a show awhile back about an island of garbage, twice the size of Texas somewhere between the West Coast and Japan. It was also being said allot of the debris could still contain radioactive water. This will end up being a massive clean up and i wouldn't want anything that washed up on shore knowing it came from so much human tragedy..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
I wonder how all this garbage is going to affect the wildlife and our food chain..Oprah did a show awhile back about an island of garbage, twice the size of Texas somewhere between the West Coast and Japan. It was also being said allot of the debris could still contain radioactive water. This will end up being a massive clean up and i wouldn't want anything that washed up on shore knowing it came from so much human tragedy..peace,sugarcookie1

It is estimated to be twice the size of Hawaii, not Texas, pretty big difference.

A shame either way.

I've always wondered why Greenpeace and Seasheapard do nothing about it.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

I've always wondered why Greenpeace and Seasheapard do nothing about it.

1 - because it would make a real difference

2 - its not exciting

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join