It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Matter What Your Politics, Why Is Anyone Living In Poverty?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Just S and F'd this thread in an attempt to keep it alive. I like the way you think and we need more like you.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I have a dream/wish/plan and not alot of ways to attain. However that is not as important, because we're going to start working for this, and keeping it in the forefront Then look for ways to do this, alternative methods or otherwise. But we have discovered quite a web of dysfunctional government services. Some of the things they do are good, teens in group homes have a bit of spending money. But overall alot of teenagers without grade 12, drop outs and a little training stints in restaurants. And we seem to have more and more showing up. Not enough beds. Cereal disappearing fast.

What is needed, for both the teens and the homeless is the same thing.

Land, small homes, homes on wheels, cob homes, cottages, store front, greenhouses, work shop. Farming skills. Sales skills. I would have kids from group homes, taking correspondence and finishing their schooling, my father got a lot of hard to learn kids, to excell at reading skills, and math/science skills. He's doing this for my son with apraxia now, in a few months, all the years with the special program at school was nothing compared to the break throughs he is doing. Having requirements for 3 hours of schooling, part time, and part time work as apprentie, learning skills in woodworking, mechanics, electrical, farming, having art and music and creative pursuits and getting their math and science up so they could retrain as electrical engineers, and any number of useful careers and skills is a far better idea than what isn't working.

And a separate farm and land for the homeless. They pretty well need the same situation, with some allowances made for those who simply need to live in dignity, and heal.

It costs society far far less per person to do things the right way, with a heart, ensuring all are safe and growing than the cost of one homeless person or one uneducated problem youth. The BC Government did a study that one homeless person costs over half a million dollars, in medical, policing and damage, probably closer to a million. A portion of land on an eco farm, a small yard, a second hand trailer fixed up or yurt, so approximating costs even with repairs and beautification would only be in the range of 20 000 with land,and making that land produce in terms of aquaponics, food, fish, things for the health food industry, natural organic solutions, produce in terms of products, enviro products, generators, energy devices, parabolic mirrors, an numerous other things for off grid.

There is no reason for this cruel and ugly system. It costs far more money and harms real people to their souls.

That is my goal, and in every town, every region, if people who were rich in land paired up and sold the land, bought a little mobile home or condo and used the rest to run eco farms and businesses for those in need, homeless, youths running away from care facilities, education/training/ethical businesses and turning communities around, and exporting this to the world, it would make a huge difference.

Not to mention we also need very effective groups of citizens meeting with management and tweaking things, in city hall. Coming up jointly with better programs. Citizens counsels and our own media.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yesterday when I was looking at land and had this strong yearning for what could be created for the kids. Had quite the vision, was shown a plane of existence and learning here, and the next step up was more of a cosmic level training. This grass roots educting youths in electrical, sciences, mathematics, engineering, alternative energies and food production, is the platform we're meant to be on. This is what we're meant to be doing. And in this vision, it was as if, build it and "they" will come, ie. they will be upgrading everyone in technology and helping the youth. In the vision saw it very clearly that when you hit upon the right goals and they're not selfish, more HELP FROM ABOVE comes in.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Centers of education, training, meditation, tai chi, farming, inventing, electronics, engineering and skills are needed for everyone who is homeless, for youths, and I wish more and more ordinary folks would do this as well.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
There is a place on the south edge of town in Luling Texas called Tiny Texas Houses.
The owner builds small houses and sells them as his business.
It's all reclaimed material except for the plumbing and electric which must meet code.
Each house is unique and they are all like little works of art. They are all designed to be moved by truck.

I know of him because he gets stained glass windows in sometimes and I was going to do some occasional repairs for him but ended up wrapped up in other projects.

The owner has offered all of his employees the material to build a house and a piece of land where it can be built.
His only caveat is that the person must leave the home for others if they decide to leave.
He wants to build a small village of tiny houses so that people can have a sustainable and affordable housing option.

He has made this offer to his employees and others for years.
No one has ever taken him up on it.

Some people think that it's there is poverty because big money and rich people have control of the world.
This may be true in other parts of the world but the US has spent several trillion dollars on social programs over the last half century.

When you offer people an opportunity to build their own home for free and nobody wants anything to do with it, I'd say it runs deeper than not getting an opportunity to do something positive.

I'd say it's because the idea personal initiative and self reliance has been educated out of us over the last few generations.

Or maybe it's really the 80/20 rule.

If the 80% has an opportunity, they will still wait for the 20% to do it for them.

I don't really know the answer but I'd say the solution starts with the individual, not some wealthy central control system.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Once currency finds demise, humanity will evolve.

Value is being redefined as more people have less.

There is no reason that everyone cant live in abundance.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
There is a place on the south edge of town in Luling Texas called Tiny Texas Houses.
The owner builds small houses and sells them as his business.
It's all reclaimed material except for the plumbing and electric which must meet code.
Each house is unique and they are all like little works of art. They are all designed to be moved by truck.

I know of him because he gets stained glass windows in sometimes and I was going to do some occasional repairs for him but ended up wrapped up in other projects.

The owner has offered all of his employees the material to build a house and a piece of land where it can be built.
His only caveat is that the person must leave the home for others if they decide to leave.
He wants to build a small village of tiny houses so that people can have a sustainable and affordable housing option.

He has made this offer to his employees and others for years.
No one has ever taken him up on it.

Some people think that it's there is poverty because big money and rich people have control of the world.
This may be true in other parts of the world but the US has spent several trillion dollars on social programs over the last half century.

When you offer people an opportunity to build their own home for free and nobody wants anything to do with it, I'd say it runs deeper than not getting an opportunity to do something positive.

I'd say it's because the idea personal initiative and self reliance has been educated out of us over the last few generations.

Or maybe it's really the 80/20 rule.

If the 80% has an opportunity, they will still wait for the 20% to do it for them.

I don't really know the answer but I'd say the solution starts with the individual, not some wealthy central control system.

This sounds really cool is there any links to articles or pics of this place? I have had a similar idea for building a self sustaining ton or village if I ever had the money. Everyone would be given land and resources and if they worked it and improved it over a certain period time it would be theirs permanently. This would give incentive for people to that are willing to work and pitch in to come to the place.

Maybe the reason he has no takers is there is little incentive to improve the place if they leave and have to leave it all. People need to get some benefit out of all the time and labor and money they put into improving a place. Not sure what the answer would be without allowing them to sell but could probably figure something out.

edit on 18-11-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

<< 4  5  6   >>

join