It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook speaks out against employers asking for passwords

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Facebook speaks out against employers asking for passwords

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Facebook has weighed in on a practice by some businesses asking employees or job applicants for their passwords to the popular social-media site.
In a nutshell? Facebook says don't do it unless you want to get sued.
"This practice undermines the privacy expectations and the security of both the user and the user's friends," Erin Egan, the site's chief privacy officer, wrote Friday on the site's Facebook and Privacy Page.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
venturebeat.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords
State agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords
Proposed laws would forbid employers from asking for job seekers' social media passwords

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Facebook has finally made a public statement about employers asking for peoples passwords on applications for employment.

They have publicly stated that they are against this practice and warns employers against it. Employers who ask for peoples passwords to Facebook can potentially be sued for violating privacy laws.

I do not think it's right for employers to ask for personal private information that is not even related to the work place.

I am glad to see this. What do you think?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Yes

But they will sell you their information for $1500 lol

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
but they are completely ok with big brother knowing every little thing you do...makes you wonder what the motive really is here???

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

Yeah, all the FB games and apps are the ones that do that.

Facebook published a new privacy statement yesterday.

Here's the ATS thread on FB new privacy policy

Facebook amending statement of rights and responsbilities, here's a rundown of the changes,

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

I think your ISP keeps track of what you do for Big Brother even more than Facebook.

I don't worry about Big Brother too much. They aren't the ones who sign your paycheck.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
They just want to be sure that it is you posting things they can give to the cops, not your boss framing you.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Just read about this after some coworkers were discussing it yesterday. No American worth their salt would consent to this gestapo move. If you value your frredoms please walk away from any company that asks to violate you in this manner. Simply an outrageous idea.

Interestly the article I read was vague and did not ID the companies asking.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by astra0naught

Some people don't have a choice and have to take the job. If your kids are hungry, your gonna give up your FB password.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Not me. I would find other ways to feed my kids.

My fb is set to highest privacy including not showing up in search. But before i gave my password I would deactivate my account during the job search process if my kids were starving. Mine are not and for me there would not be a job on the planet I desire enough to play into this big brother game. My kids dont need food from sivkos who feel fine invading privacy.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Simple, change account settings so no one can search you (Google etc).

Change your photo to a cute fluffy cat.

Tell employer you don't have a Facebook account.

You could be one of a million John Smith's out there? Who's gonna know?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This is why I've been telling people to abandon the SS Facebook. Just jump ship and delete your account.
This way, if an employer asks you for your password, you can say with confidence, "I would, but I don't have a Failbook account."

edit on 23-3-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
NEVER W2OULD I GIVE UP MY PASSWOED just for the fact i play fb games and those games got credit card info on file

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Tell the employer no. If its a good employer they'll respect that answer more than they would receiving a password to an idiot's account. If its not a good employer they'd use it against you, yours and your friends. You'd be better off in jail or homeless.

If I were interviewing someone (I've hired about 50 engineers) and the idea came to mind I might just ask. If they provided the data NO WAY would I hire them.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
They really did bring up another good point. If you give a potential employer your password, well, that employer then has access to the accounts/info of every friend connected to your account. So while they (the employer) might act like they want to learn a little more about you, and it's needed for your employment(which is BS), at what point did every friend connected to your account say it was ok for an employer they've never had contact with to search through their info?

Think about that. Your friends on facebook. If one of your friends gives a potential employer the password to their account, then your friends potential employer can search your account, and the privacy setting won't work as you're in their friend network. So company isn't just getting access to the persons account who is applying for the job, but access to every friend associated to that account.

That is a HUGE invasion of privacy.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Exactly, I'm glad you pointed that out.

That same problem exists with using all the apps and games on FB.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I don't know if they used this as an excuse or not but if they hired you, then they can immediately fire you for "lying on an application," if they were to find out later that you had one.

BUT, I have fake information and took myself off of search just in case a potential employer pokes around.Not that I put anything incriminating on there(cant say the same for the younger crowds) but it could be as simple as they see I am a Steelers fan and they are a ravens fan.

Maryland, which is where one of these infractions occurred in the DOC, is now looking at passing a law that prevents agencies from doing this.

MD is pretty good about internet privacy, for instance, nothing you post on the net is admissable as evidence in court.

edit on 23-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Are there any other website memberships you have to admit too in order to work for a company? I find it really odd? Is this just an American thing? Paranoia reigns supreme! I really don't think here in Aus any boss really wants to know if you got sh4t faced at the weekend or you bought three new pigs for your tiny farm or what song was number one on your birth day?

What if you had to be trusted with passwords for company accounts etc, would you hand them out at your next interview........hey it's ok, it's only private information right? Share and share alike.

I would say that is private information, just like my bank account numbers. My opinions are just that and you are not entitled to them as my employer. However, if you pay me for the time I am on Facebook (at home) I will divulged as much as you want

Being employed as a result of facebook interigation is a bit like the boss firing you because you didn't like his favorite colour? Dumb.
edit on 23-3-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
If this is allowed to continue we could have companies asking you to supply your Facebook as a resume.

They will try to encourage people to create an accurate work history on your Facebook account with as much detail as they possible.

The more detailed your Facebook/resume the better your chances of getting hired.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
What ever happened to just going in for a REGULAR interview and having an old fashion one-on-one evaluation?

Now prospective employers are asking for FB p/w and u/n info?

Good luck young world!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join