It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Horrible Misconceptions of Getting Off The Grid!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I have been in the process of getting off the grid for years now, as it is a slow process, and has lots of information in order to do this correctly. But I have noticed that when others begin to notice your need for less and less "outside" sources for basic needs, then there begins a widespread misconception, and clear misunderstanding about those that no longer want to be part of what they feel in their mind, hive thought.

I am a women that has chosen to live outside the box. I do not know many people like me, and personally am not that concerned about it, but I have made the conscious decision to fend for myself and family on my own. This is in no way an easy task, but in my heart well worth it.

I went for the busy streets of the Bronx in NYC to the rural country life on a gravel road, in the mid-west. I have a small garden, which I built by hand, with organic dirt which we eat and store for winter months, a wood stove, where I use a chainsaw for seasoned wood, and I chose to home-school my kids.

I keep in contact with some friends and family in NYC, and as I have been in less and less need for what I guess many would consider "absolutes", I have chosen to live quietly, peacefully, and frankly far away from people.

Recently this "off the grid" topic has made the MSM, and is being referred to as the much used system for those that choose to live against the law, and people that use this excuse to be criminals.

This is NOT the case for everyone, as many labels and stereotypes out there, there are a few bad apples, and the fact that the MSM decided that this was a "Lawless System" just gives me the impression that there is a need to scare the masses away from this lifestyle.

Getting off the grid in my opinion is slowly picking and choosing what part of the system you want to be in. How far down the rabbit hole you want, and knowing your true place in society. I choose to still shop in the near by town for certain things, but I shop with locals.

I have internet for various reasons including homework, etc,. But I use it mostly for research, and chose to opt out of satellite t.v, as a way to protest without the need to live in to much of a bubble. I dont buy anything that I cannot recycle, or reuse in some way, and if something breaks I will fix it myself instead of buying something new.

Many people out there I am sure are already doing this, and dont realize that this is also a form of getting off the grid. Slowly eliminating things unnecessarily is a way to slowly release yourself from the bondage that is spoon feed to us in the media, television, and magazines.

You dont have to live in a cave, without shaving, and eating bark off a tree in order to be off the grid, if people understood that this is not a one day process, more and more people would be willing to take this more serious.

Of course there are other more drastic ways to get off the grid, that I will not mention here, as I would like to stay on this particular topic.

I am speaking on my behalf, and for those out there that have heard (including me) oh your getting off the grid huh... you must be in a militia. This IMHO is as offensive as it gets. This is not easy, and yes you have to be disciplined, and not fall for the traps that are so beautifully displayed all around us, but to know that if there were some form of tragedy, I can fend for myself, help others, and begin anew, without allowing my material possessions to cause devastation to the part of my brain that would normally help to me to get right back on my feet.

So to all out there that are making a difference for themselves, keep your head up, your doing great, and when the things that you have learned come into play it will all be worth it.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Your right, it is a slow process. I am working my way towards that end as well. I haven't moved to the location I want yet due to personal reasons, but I am working that way.

We currently have about 20 chickens and are experimenting with growing and canning food. I do know what you mean, its a mixed bag when you say you are trying to go off grid.

Either people cheer you for becoming self sufficient or look at you like your a criminal trying to hide.

Congratulations by the way

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I live in the country as well.

We garden, heat our home with a wood stove and can pretty much fend for ourselves.

Yet, I work as an IT person for a major University. Many people know that I live in the country but few realize what a wonderful life it is.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
wish i could even remotely be doing this, i do what i can from my apartment but its really hard to have a garden when you live on the second story of an apartment building with a postage stamp of a deck

If i ever have the money to move out of the city,
Building a greenhouse and a garden will be on the top of my list. As well as making my house fully sustainable by itself without power from the power company, and getting the water from an underground well. Chickens for eggs and meat, a couple cows for milk(and possibly meat) and loooots of fish.

Now if i had a couple million dollars at my disposal, (which i dont)
I would build this

Apparently to build one of these 3 acre buildings costs about 15,000 dollars. With a couple million one could expand on the idea and build a multi-story hydroponic garden and fish farm. THAT is a highly interesting idea, and seems to work fairly well. A million pounds of food per year?! thats enough to feed a small city.

If you like fish

PS: I miss the country, the city is perpetually noisy, and no stars. I miss those most of all..The only ones i see are the bright ones like Spica, Sirius and the planets and such.
edit on 23/3/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Surely to be truly off the grid you would couldn't be tied down to an internet provider or a member of anything online?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

You might like this . This is from an older thread of mine about mini-homes.

www.pbs.org...

There is an awesome slide show of people that took a few thousand dollars, and built homes for themselves.

Peace, NRE.

Before I forget, I also have another thread called "The Do It Yourself Thread (for SHTF Scenario)".

This has tons of vids and suggestions for those that are just starting off, and even those that live in the city or apartments.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 23-3-2012 by NoRegretsEver because: to add

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by worriedskeptic

The great thing about being off grid is you can choose how much off grid you want to be.

I could be economically off grid or just power-wise off grid if I wanted to. You don't have to give up what you don't want to.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

That is awesome. I totally would do something like that if I didn't have a child.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by worriedskeptic

Please read the thread more carefully. I clearly stated that there was a process to get fully off the grid, including your statement as one of the major misconceptions.

NRE.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Lots of kudos for you! Ilive in a small city surrounded by mountains and have the ability to think outside the box. Joined a sustainability group, as we are a bit landlocked and in farmland off a sea inlet I have the ability to aquire organic meat. Built a 12x20 ft greenhouse and this year it will also be aquaponic. Grow most veggies with organic seeds and in organic soil with the help of local farmers. If one really assesses what they have, then the change can be planned. Anxiously waiting for a release of self sufficient energy systems that will not sap all of my resources.
There is lots out there but the best is being withheld and not for much longer. Until then I deal with our group and advance at a good pace.
I foresee that communities will be smaller and self governing towards local resources giving all a chance to lead a peacefull and decent life!
Peace and love to all the dreamers. Get with it!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It amazes me and disgusts me how the media have painted people that live off the grid as a template for the "Unibomber" or a "David Koresh wanna be."

I am still on the grid because my wife likes electricity. However, she is coming around to my way of thinking more and more. The fact that it is reminiscient of the late 1960s and 70s "back to the land" movement is all the more in my favor.

I salute you. I think the worst misconception is not knowing just how much work goes into a self sufficient life style. There are no sick days... no vacation days... or punching out to leave the lifestyle... it is always there.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Must be easy to get off the grid if you can eat Dirt!

Sorry I just had to.

What advice would you have for someone who wants to make that change?

Also how do I convince my wife to come with me..

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
No Matter What Your Politics, Why Is Anyone Living In Poverty?

I've made a thread that poverty, starvation and homelessness could end on earth in a matter of months if we chose to do it now.

Everyone could fit in Canada, so that means there is plenty of room on our planet, nor should land cost money, nor should it need taxes.

The earthship recycles water, runs off of wind and solar, and grows most of its own food, if not all being possible. This one is aquaponics.

Its made of recycled materials and requires no heating or cooling. I'm sure it can be tailored to individual tastes on how warm one needs it, and more power added. I would add a well and use the rain water for the gardens and toilets.

Fishing in the Phoenix Earthship

Self Sufficiency, Survival, and Beauty for everyone on this planet!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

you should grow your own mushrooms then too... you can get the spore cheap online ...... nice because once you get them started the keep growing ......

getting off the grid is a challenge and for many not a real possibliity ...

however, one can wean themselves off the grid slowly step by step

and while doing so it is easier

use natural methods to reduce elec cost.... hot water one being energy consumer in the home

12 volt lighting w/ solar/wind or water powered generator and as a water supply.

solar ovens

fowl and other animnals

bees or other source of sugar

and your set... ha ha ha

well never set but survivable.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Rose hips for Vit C!

Chickens already I see!

A couple cows for milk, cheese and yogurt. Or a goat.

Naturally ferment your own kraut, pickles and food, for rich nutrients and bone building, enamel buiding nutrients.

Beehives maybe!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I think that even though so many are against the initial work to get to be self sufficient that it IS indeed something that has to be set by example.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Yes, getting off the grid can be a huge daunting task....or not. Most don't wake up one day, pack their BOB and head for the hills. It takes a little planning. Choosing the location and environmental conditions. Many many small towns in the midwest ON the grid but in very rural communities are Cheap Cheap. I just bought a house for $7,000.00 5 bedroom, 2 bath. It hadn't sold for several years becasue it has a small galley style kitchen and seriously needs some yard art. It is plain and bare. With a few well placed shrubs and small fruit tree or two, it will be beautiful. It has a new furnace/AC and is a great house. It needs absolutely NO work but a paint job or siding if someone wants to do that instead. No, it isn't for sale. My other house is a little 800 sf home, got some plaster cracks, needs some cosmetic work, very old fashioned but you could walk in and live in it without worry. Good for one or two persons. It is on a corner lot with a HUGE yard. Neither of these houses are rural but this town has a rural feel to it. The house I live in, a beautiful remodeled farm house with barn, granary, outbuildings and a well on 8 acres, still on the grid. I will be installing my woodburning stove this year to lessen my dependance on the grid. I don't necessarily want to be completely off the grid. I do however want to sustain and maintain should the grid fail me for any reason. That is my goal. I NEVER tell anyone I know I want to be off the grid. They'd look at me like I lost my marbles. Or maybe I was turning into an old hippie or something terrible like that - sarcasam. I do make statements such as I just can't afford a 3-400 dollar electric bill anymore so I'm working away from it as much as possible. I like growing my own meat, eggs and veggies. Of course all my friends are willing to partake whenever offered. I've seen "towns" with 3-7 houses total in them. There are so many options. People need to take the time to search and look. I love my existance with my effort of creating and sustianing what I can and desire to. A back to the basics life is hard, but very rewarding and such a feeling of worth and satisfaction. There's nothing the city life has to offer that can even come close.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
its funny,ive been trying to stay off the grid since i was 18! im 45 now and have no regrets about my decision.

i have never had a credit card,not even a gas card. never fell into the life of wanting all the shiny stuff,but if i can get something i would like ill find some bargain basement way of getting it. i got my 50" tv from the dump for $20! i dont get cable but its good for movies for me & the kids.
i also heat my house with wood.have my own garden.
when i was younger my lifestyle would drive my dad crazy. 'you have to prepare for life,be ready for yor future" he would say.well,hes retired now and basically worked himself to death,with nothing to show for it but a beat up body.
i think now he understands why i did what i did,because his lifestyle was not for me and it didnt turn out so good for him.people use to think me mad for what i was doing,and a lot still do. but i see more and more people choosing this lifestyle because of the madness in this world.
it is difficult to stay off the grid,i admit that. but i will never trade this life for the life of a slave to the system,or consumerism!
by the way good for you!!! good luck

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

NRE, I applaud you, and you're right it is no easy feat by any means. But the experience that you gain will carry you and your children through any kind of circumstance with a clearer understanding of what needs to be done. The best 3yrs of my life was living in the mountains in a one room cabin doing exactly what you're doing. I am currently making steps to get back to that form of living. MSM and criticizers of living off the grid will be the first ones knocking at your door for hel if the shtf.. Lucky them you already have a mindset to help others when needed. Thanks for sharing your story.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Once you do this, get off the grid, you will never be able to be normal and wasteful again. We lived at anchor on our sailboat for years, only visiting a marina on a very few occasions. A sailboat, in this case is a catamaran is like a very little island. All our electrical needs we harvested from the sun and wind. Our water we gathered from rain or carried aboard with jugs, some of it questionable.

It was not uncommon to have to walk several miles to find groceries and so forth. We did this out of choice and now we are in one of our homes and still live life like it is on our little island, we remain frugal and thankful for what we have at hand.

Due to the attacks of small governments in Michigan, making contrary rules that don't allow any use of our land on a lake there. The health district condemning it so sewage cannot be put in. The township saying it is residential property so nothing can be done there without first having a home, which goes back to the health district that won't allow this.

Now we are going back to a boat, on this property. Composting toilet, solar panels and wind generator. All gray water will be evaporated, nothing will touch the soil or water, not allowing any governing body to take offense. Yet this keeps us out of the control of local crooks that have attempted to bankrupt us in court. Did I mention, we cannot have electricity without first having a home?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join