It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geraldo Rivera blames "hoodie" for Trayvon Martin's death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
www.opposingviews.com...

Rivera said: “I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin’s death as George Zimmerman was. You have to recognize that this whole stylizing yourself as a gangsta, you’re going to be a gangsta wannabe, well people are going to perceive you as a menace. That’s what happens. It is an instant, reflexive action.”

Holy COW!

So, not Zimmerman. Not the gun or the gun laws. A HOODIE!

The world has truly gone insane.

Maybe it's a generational thing? You don't often see older people wearing hoodies.

To assert that the way Trayvon was dressed played a part in his death is the same as the misogynist BS that the way a woman dresses can get her raped.

Why not blame the guilty party? This is just more sympathy for perpetrators in our paranoid society.

edit on 23-3-2012 by KillerQueen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I wear a hoodie more then 75% of the time in chilly weather like most of the country, does that mean I should get shot while walking down the street?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
At the end he makes an exception that if it's raining, it's okay to wear a hoodie.

Well, Geraldo - it WAS raining the night Trayvon Martin was wearing his hoodie and was killed.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

In America, the answer is apparently yes.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by KillerQueen

He urges the parents of black and latino kids to not their children wear a hoodie, yet makes to remark to the parents of white children. Racist much.

Im white. A hoodie is my choice of sweatshirt in chilly cold weather. Does that constitute me as a gangster or gangster wanna-be? Oh...I guess not...since Im white.

Clothing had nothing to do with this shooting. Poor judgement did. Or perhaps it was a hate crime...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Bill Belichick is so damn "gangsta" in his hoodie.

I seem to recall in recent years entire towns trying to ban hooded sweatshirts for this very reason.

Everything is a scapegoat.

CA town considers hoodie ban

Topeka mayor wants to ban hoodies and hats

FBI says ban hoodies from banks

Pubs ban hoodies

So #ing stupid.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Because hoodies are murderers??

You know a hoodie is nice in cool weather, keeps your nice and warm!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Pardon me.. didn't people say the same things about men with long hair? tattoos? and any number of other things?

Geraldo is a flippin idiot. How the hell does he even have a job?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

I'll play devil's advocate here.

I cant watch the clip and I dont know the pure context or intent of the remark but going along the lines of the "long hair" and "tattoos" thing he might have a point.

Not so literally as to say the hoodie got him killed. But the popular perception of the hoodie as portrayed in gang-centric media has certainly type-cast it as thug-wear. To deny that is simply foolish.

Hell, I wouldnt doubt it if half the sales of hooded sweatshirts are due to this image.

Since the late 80's the general urban trouble maker image has been hoody, baggy jeans, and black.

Art imitating life which consequently turned to life imitating art which created a popular image that has real consequences.

I wouldnt go so far as to say this popular portrayal justifies the shooting. I dont know if it was truly justified. I wasnt there. But the popular image definitely played a role in itching up the trigger finger.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Because he will say whatever his bosses at Fox News pay him to say. Granted the way someone dresses does inform one's image of who they are looking at. One of the first things we are told as a youth is to not judge someone by the way they look.For Geraldo to blame an article of clothing as a vehicle of blame is absurd. Did it play a part in the formulation of Zimmerman's thought processes? Probably but that is not anyone else's problem but his and shouldn't even be a part of the conversation. The far left is going to use this as a means to enact stricter gun laws. And the far right is going to refuse to see that this particular law is flawed. And the rest of the country is going to be scratching their heads trying to figure out how to get the language of the law so that it protects those that legitimately defend themselves while not allowing future vigilantes to get away with murder.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Maybe it's a generational thing?

It is a trend within a society where this type of street attire is common, however; there are certain individuals that do indeed give this kind of street attire a bad name i.e. gangsters, or drug dealers.

You don't often see older people wearing hoodies.

It depends if the older people you are referring to live in a society where like I said above about it being common street attire. You cannot say YOU don't often see older people wearing hoodies, because YOU don't speak on the behalf of everyone else. Failed attempt on your behalf.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

I didn't say NEVER. I said you don't often see older people wearing hoodies - but loads of younger people, say under 40 for example, wear them all of the time. I'm just trying to figure out Geraldo's disconnect here.

You are just butt hurt because I disagreed with your Tayvon / Rodney premise.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

You are just butt hurt because I disagreed with your Tayvon / Rodney premise.

No actually I responded to this thread, because YOU brought in a RACE issue. The fact that YOU brought Geraldo Rivera into your original OP. So yeah Killer keep trying.
edit on 23-3-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

I am glad my post inspired you to write this thread, but I think you went about it the wrong way where I can say now Geraldo Rivera is going to get an ear full from all racial backgrounds. Do I agree with him no, but I think he should of just kept his mouth shut if he didn't have a cushion to fall back on. We know Geraldo has a bad history of saying stupid things when race is involved, look at what happened in 1988 when Geraldos nose was broken during a skinhead brawl on his show.
edit on 23-3-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
I am glad my post inspired you to write this thread,

LoL!

Sorry, but it didn't. If you doubt, feel free to check my posting history.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Denial is a killer Queen.

Keep spreading the poison, your doing a heck of a job at it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by MrWendal

I'll play devil's advocate here.

I cant watch the clip and I dont know the pure context or intent of the remark but going along the lines of the "long hair" and "tattoos" thing he might have a point.

Not so literally as to say the hoodie got him killed. But the popular perception of the hoodie as portrayed in gang-centric media has certainly type-cast it as thug-wear. To deny that is simply foolish.

Hell, I wouldnt doubt it if half the sales of hooded sweatshirts are due to this image.

Since the late 80's the general urban trouble maker image has been hoody, baggy jeans, and black.

Art imitating life which consequently turned to life imitating art which created a popular image that has real consequences.

I wouldnt go so far as to say this popular portrayal justifies the shooting. I dont know if it was truly justified. I wasnt there. But the popular image definitely played a role in itching up the trigger finger.

Bill Belichek, the Head Coach of the New England Patriots football team is known for wearing hoodies. It is a trademark look for him. Are you suggesting that by wearing a hoodie he is therefor "gansta"?

People with Tattoos years ago were considered outlaws and trouble makers. Tattoos were considered for the lower class of society and criminals. Today tattoos are beyond mainstream. You can see them on actors, pop stars, lawyers, Wall Street, everyone has them.

I have worn hoodies for years. I am 40 and about as far from "gansta" as anyone can get.. and guess what else? I like my pants kinda baggy, but I dont let them hang. I know how to use a belt

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
LoL!

"The Unabomber wore a hoodie."
: Eric Michael Dyson on MSNBC

www.unabombers.com...

And he flew under the radar for years.

top topics

join